Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 62 of 263 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

There is no way you can read he is absolutely leaving from that clip. Was a nothing interview.

Tim Watsons goofy face and weasely little smile were the worst part.

There isn’t a person on this forum that wouldn’t “consider” switching jobs for an extra 100-200k a year, I begrudge him nothing for keeping his options open.

We hold all the leverage here just need to use it. Power a smart man, I have faith on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in the boat that the clip looks edited to suit the media narrative.
    I'll wait and see but I think he is staying.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I'm also in the boat that the clip looks edited to suit the media narrative.
    I'll wait and see but I think he is staying.
    It was edited alright, but he didn't say, no truth in the rumour I am staying a Dog. Unless he is leveraging for a pay increase with us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He could have said I'm happy where I am and they cut it out because it a better story.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

The interview was a nothing burger trotted out by a player who obviously took the media training components of his job seriously and paid full attention to what the trainer was saying. He didn't say anything that can't be retracted or read in several ways. In fact he really didn't say anything. He can't really say anything until he's debriefed with Sam Power in case he inadvertently throws the spanner in the tools of a deal that Power has going. The trade period has a million moving parts that change from minute to minute. It really is like playing eighteen games of four dimensional chess at the same time. The club's position on Josh might be a lot different in a fortnight than it s now and it's not necessarily Essendon that makes us change our mind.

Nobody could watch it and definitively say "he's going" or "he's staying". If he stays he's burnt no bridges at the club. Alternatively if he goes (now or in the future-everyone thinks this is about the next fortnight but it's not. It's about next year and the year after that. It's also about when Josh becomes a D/FA. That might play on whether he signs an extended deal with us) then he didn't say he was going and put himself or either club in a difficult situation. Josh obviously understands that there will be a trade period next year and the year after that. Maybe next year he will have a stronger hand. Maybe he wil be recovering from an ACL or ankylosing spondylitis in his foot and be relieved to have the security of being contracted for another year so he's got the time to sort it out.

In one way this is the trickiest trade scenario the club has faced and there's a lot to play out but I'm still fairly confident that Josh will stay (for at least next year anyway) and depending on his FA status I'm not sure we/he will have to or want to renegotiate his contract. That is unless the club gets an offer that we'd be silly not to look at. And we have to do due diligence with every offer we are made.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

6. Likes FrediKanoute, jeemak, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yep that is how i see it too. Nothing wrong with that interview, surprised how doom and gloom it all is in here from that interview
    That's the current WOOF tone of the season on most topics. I doubt it'll change much given rising frustrations unless trade week goes great.

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Just watched. Hard to say when half the questions have been cut. I’m not convinced he’s leaving.
    Same. Like anyone in any profession, you are always open to offers. Doesn't mean you will go though!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Same. Like anyone in any profession, you are always open to offers. Doesn't mean you will go though!
    Exactly and just because you review offers doesn’t mean you are unhappy in your current environment. Naturally as humans you need to look at all opportunities given these don’t come along often. It is a big decision for the lad and he is probably feeling the pressure to make a decision. He will have various people in his ear, particularly his Manager, telling him to take the money. That may seem easy but he also needs to weigh up the fact he is going to an unknown, a completely new environment, where the culture is different.

The media are making this out to be much bigger than it is. Given there is not much else to talk about any story is blown out of proportion.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still confident that he will be playing for us next season, I would have appreciated a more clear answer but I think our record of keeping good people good enough to have some faith in Dunkley
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing that is quite funny is various Essendon supporters heard that interview and viewed it as meaning he isn't going to Essendon

14. Likes hujsh, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm not convinced he's leaving but I'm 100% convinced he is seriously considering it. And that is a terrible look for the club.

Unless we get an outstanding result in the trade, I'd much rather we hold him and get a fantastic season out of him next year. He won't regress on his 2020 output so will be worth just as much if not more in a trade next year. Alternatively he will tear it up in 2021 and dedicate himself to the Dogs long term like Papley, O'Keefe and numerous others have done in the past.
    Yep I would like the club to hold firm. All Dunks wants is a better deal and more time in the midfield and the club sort out the rucking situation. He can get all with us....maybe the deal won't be as lucrative but more coin than he is on now. He had a serious injury this year and only played 12 games so it is understandable that his time in the middle was curtailed. His consistent best is yet to come so it would be ridiculous to trade this 23 yo out when all can be salvaged. Plenty of players have dipped their toe into leaving but stayed. Even Dusty did it.

16. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also as has been said to trade a young player in Dunks would send a bad vibe through the team and put it into all the other player's heads how easy it is to leave if other teams come a knocking. So a "huge" no deal from me.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Browne in what some would describe as English has said that culture isn't a problem at the dogs.....

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Browne in what some would describe as English has said that culture isn't a problem at the dogs.....
    He's also said that the offer is 600 x 4 so it's not about the money.
    Think I'm done with the constant update cycle somebody wake me when he's gone

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that is quite funny is various Essendon supporters heard that interview and viewed it as meaning he isn't going to Essendon
    They will be comparing the Dunkley comments to the Crouch comments though.

Dunkley really can't SAY what Crouch is saying no matter whether he feels that way or not...Dunkley is a contracted player...the interview was frustrating to say the least.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

23. Likes Raw Toast liked this post