Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

I think we hold firm again this trade period. He is an almost irreplaceable part of our team. We sure missed him Friday.
    And then after season 2022 starts we offer him a new contract. I think he's a free agent end of 2022, after 6 years.
    If he wants to leave then, we've got the option to match, or if the offer is that good reap a very high draft pick.

2. Likes Scraggers, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I still wouldn't trade him. I know there were plenty of supporters on here who's opinions of Dunkley change once he requested a trade but to me he makes other players a bit better.
    Wasn't the offer last year a first and second rounder and we wanted 2 x first rounders?
    Perhaps the shoulder injury lessons his value for suitors.
    I’m not trading him if I’m Sam Power (which I am) either. But it gets interesting if say Essendon had pick 4 at the end of the year and offered it. That’s better than picks 9 and a teens pick. Maybe some later 3rd round draft points added.

Say Daicos slips to 5+. We could offer Pick 4 and future Round 1 swaps (we go late teens into top 10) for Darcy Moore and Dunkley’s wage allows Moore’s salary.

Essendon: Dunkley
    Collingwood: Two top 10 picks (with Daicos) this year, and holding a first for next year
    Dogs: Darcy Moore, 3rd Rounder, upgraded into top 10 next year, still holding our 1st this year

Dunkley is incredibly important to us and I hope he sees his future here. But... if in this hypothetical Dodoro puts up Pick 4 (which I doubt he would, but he should) and a late pick, and there’s a player that makes us better down back, then it’s not just about draft picks which have some risk. We can change the player in this example, but I wonder whether the trade committee might not immediately dismiss the idea.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I really don’t think we need to take on someone like Darcy Moore. He’s a gun obviously, but we can get someone cheaper (both picks and salary cap wise) to slot into that hole at CHB.

And doubly so if it involves trading out Dunks. He’s moved into irreplaceable territory for me.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I really don’t think we need to take on someone like Darcy Moore. He’s a gun obviously, but we can get someone cheaper (both picks and salary cap wise) to slot into that hole at CHB.

And doubly so if it involves trading out Dunks. He’s moved into irreplaceable territory for me.
    I agree, per my post. But if Dunks asks again and Dodoro offers Pick 4 - which is a pick quality we won’t see for a long time - is it a straight ‘no’ or if a high quality player hits the market worth about Pick 4, would we think about it? While I’m not in favour of trading him, Pick 4 wouldn’t be chump change.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I agree, per my post. But if Dunks asks again and Dodoro offers Pick 4 - which is a pick quality we won’t see for a long time - is it a straight ‘no’ or if a high quality player hits the market worth about Pick 4, would we think about it? While I’m not in favour of trading him, Pick 4 wouldn’t be chump change.
    No guarantee with early picks though, plenty of examples of failed kids with very early picks. Carlton have a couple in Dow and SPS!
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Why would we trade Josh Dunkley to get a player who might end up as good as Josh Dunkley?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes Bulldog Revolution, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    No guarantee with early picks though, plenty of examples of failed kids with very early picks. Carlton have a couple in Dow and SPS!
    I agree on that too. Essentially I think I’m asking that if

- Dunks asks for a trade
    - Dodoro offers up Pick 4
    (- JJ salary leaves too)
    - A gun ready made player is wanting to come to us
    - Pick 4 being the trade collateral to get the gun, the freed up salary secures them

I’m still in the don’t trade him camp. Especially Pick 8 or whatever it was last year. But if there’s an on-trade for a ready made gun, my reaction is to listen a lot more closely before shutting it down. Dodoro would still need to offer Pick 4 which I doubt he would do in any event. But the lower the Essendon first rounder, the more interesting things get.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Why would we trade Josh Dunkley to get a player who might end up as good as Josh Dunkley?
    I’m not advocating using the pick at all though. Rather what a scenario looks like if there’s a ready made gun that we couldn’t secure if not for the high pick and freed up salary. The better the pick, the better the on-traded player can be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Is it CHB or more a FB we require Comrade. I’m all for Moore. Imagine him at FB, Naughton CHB and Keath the 3rd tall/interceptor. That would make Gardner/Cordy/young playing VFL where they deserve to be.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I’m not advocating using the pick at all though. Rather what a scenario looks like if there’s a ready made gun that we couldn’t secure if not for the high pick and freed up salary. The better the pick, the better the on-traded player can be.
    So youre getting us Josh Kelly BT?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So youre getting us Josh Kelly BT?
    That’d be the like for like option, if Essendon finished with their current Pick 4 and offered it for Dunkley. Then Essendon get a player who (may) want to be there, we get a player that finishes his career with us and whose also a good mate of Bonts, GWS end up with three top 10 picks with two of them being top 5. Great for a rebuild or aggressive trade period for them. A scenario like that creates some doubt in my mind of not being prepared to trade. At least certainly has me thinking.

Whether it’s a like for like, or targeting a player type we need like Darcy Moore. There’s interesting things. But if Essendon wind up with a pick like 7-8 then no thanks. Using the pick on another kid. Also no thanks. But if Essendon’s Pick ends up being Pick 4 and there’s a mature gun to ontrade it for. Well, then I want Dunks to come out and sign, or come out and seek a trade again so we can work out the plan. I still hope we can sign him up soon, well ahead of his contract expiring.

14. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunks has enormous value to Essendon.

The thing that Essendon DON'T do, is win the ball in tight and out of the centre. Dunks is as good as they come at this. Think they'll go hard again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Is it CHB or more a FB we require Comrade. I’m all for Moore. Imagine him at FB, Naughton CHB and Keath the 3rd tall/interceptor. That would make Gardner/Cordy/young playing VFL where they deserve to be.
    So we stop goals, but with Naughton back, who kicks them?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always hated the title of this thread.

Dunkley had definitely gone up a level in the matches so far. I think i had him pegged as extremely tough but with limitations.. a poor kick, and slow. I noticed he only got above 20 possessions three times last year, and Friday night confirmed for me that he adds something really unique in our midfield. He makes the others look so much better - it was interesting that Bont, Macrae and Treloar were not at their best. I wonder how many smothers we had on Friday night without him?

As a person he went down in my estimation for the way he went about things but you’d have to say his attitude on returning to us couldn’t have been better. It would leave a nasty taste for me if having missed most of ‘21 with injury (recognise not from any fault of his own) and after all the ostentatious Treloar bromance declarations he renewed his request for a trade, but I hope we are able to sign him up before the end of season and preempt the speculation.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Dunks has enormous value to Essendon.

The thing that Essendon DON'T do, is win the ball in tight and out of the centre. Dunks is as good as they come at this. Think they'll go hard again.
    How hard, Oz?

Pick 4 (as of today), another pick, a player we want, or both?