Thanks Thanks:  139
Likes Likes:  1,723
Page 1 of 138 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 2068

Thread: Trade Dunkley

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Trade Dunkley

    I hate it as a concept because he's a premiership hero but we need to change up our mix in the midfield, as having three see ball get ball midfielders who are all of similar pace and size is leading to us being exposed. Aside from Smith there's a distinct lack of zip in the midfield mix and that needs to change.

    To me Jacko and Bont are untouchable, so that unfortunately leaves us with one major card to play to change things up and that's putting Dunkley on the market and seeing whether we can bring in a quick established midfielder (not a world beater, but with defencive cred) and a reasonably high draft pick (early to mid second) to secure another.

    The reason that this is necessary to me is that we don't have anyone good enough to replace him in the side and nobody coming through who can materially change the way our midfield operates due to its sameness in personnel.

    What does everyone think? What is he worth to us?


  2. Likes bornadog liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Dunks is a keeper for mine. His season has been ravaged by injury and he was awesome as a power inside mid beast last year. I still see improvement in Dunks.
    "You've got no fear of The Underdog, that's why you will not survive"
    - Spoon, 2007
    - Western Bulldogs, 2016

  4. Likes bornadog, Testekill, Ghost Dog liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Dunks is a keeper for mine. His season has been ravaged by injury and he was awesome as a power inside mid beast last year. I still see improvement in Dunks.
    So do I. However, I don't see necessarily the change we need in the midfield with all of him, Bont and Jacko in there.

    And he has massive trade value that can help us change direction.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Libba doesn't have long left IMO and Dunks is a beast, made for finals. I'd be keeping him and looking at moving on other pieces like Lipinski, even if they obviously won't command the same value that Dunks would.

    I don't think we need a superstar outside mid anyway, we just need something different. Hunter helps but so too does Vandameer when he goes onto a wing.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    I don't mind the thinking, but have some concerns more from a personal pov.

    A) Dunkley seems very happy at the dogs. He seems popular and respected. I think pushing him out could really set up and us vs them mentality with the playing group vs the club.

    B) he is everything you could hope for off field. Super pro, good guy, presents well, he is as wholesome a figurehead as you can get.

    C) he and Bont are close. Like probably best friends at the club close (this is not confirmed, but i certainly what i believe to be the case). I really don't think preaching loyalty to Bont while pushing his best mate out works. Especially when Bont is the captain, so you are kind of selling a vision of him representing the club to him. So if the club kicks Dunkley out for a first rounder, to him its kind of like saying Bont is happy to kick Dunkley out for a first rounder. I just don't think that flies, and is more likely to blow up in our faces.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    28,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    We have to give someone good to get someone or something good but as Sedat says I think he's a keeper
    I'm not against trading most players Jeemak but it would need to be for someone pretty special for Dunks given he is also in the leadership group

    We do need to someone with pace and kicking depth in our midfield though
    "This is not unusual Ö Maybe it is unusual, but I was told itís not that unusual."

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Libba doesn't have long left IMO and Dunks is a beast, made for finals. I'd be keeping him and looking at moving on other pieces like Lipinski, even if they obviously won't command the same value that Dunks would.

    I don't think we need a superstar outside mid anyway, we just need something different. Hunter helps but so too does Vandameer when he goes onto a wing.
    You raise a good point in some ways, though I'm not sure Lipinski's value is substantial enough for us to enact the step change we need in the midfield, and its mindset/ ability.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Algester, Qld
    Posts
    5,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Man that's a doozy.
    But the way you frame it is not to be dismissed.
    He does have currency, and would be a great addition to another side that needs a hard inside edge.

    However...

    Yep we clearly have a one-paced aspect to our midfield. But for me, Lipinski is the weaker link.
    He does not have the trade value of Dunks...but what we get for a trade isn't necessarily the main consideration.

    I can't for the life of me understand why McLean cannot be a more viable midfielder than he has shown thus far.
    He to me, should be our Lachie Neale.
    However, it is true that whatever his potential, McLean has not shown he can be trusted as a mid right now, so given we need to retool an aspect of our midfield, we can't trust he will fulfill that promise.

    For me, Bont, Macrae, Dunkley are a good crew, and they all have at least one attribute that is ELITE. Bailey Smith will be part of that, and provides good zip. Lipinski - I like the lad, but I'm not sure he has a standout attribute, whilst also having a couple of really poor rated attributes- in pace and defensive pressure.

    I would advocate holding onto Dunks.....unless we think West is likely to develop similarly to his old man in that dominant inside role.

    Lipinski is the one I'd be thinking to move on to change the look of our midfield.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    511
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    That would be a no from me,
    "I thought I was bulletproof or Caleb Daniels being thrown into a pool there for a while. I thought I'd never run out of nerve. Never." - Evel Knievel 2020

  12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I don't mind the thinking, but have some concerns more from a personal pov.

    A) Dunkley seems very happy at the dogs. He seems popular and respected. I think pushing him out could really set up and us vs them mentality with the playing group vs the club.

    B) he is everything you could hope for off field. Super pro, good guy, presents well, he is as wholesome a figurehead as you can get.

    C) he and Bont are close. Like probably best friends at the club close (this is not confirmed, but i certainly what i believe to be the case). I really don't think preaching loyalty to Bont while pushing his best mate out works. Especially when Bont is the captain, so you are kind of selling a vision of him representing the club to him. So if the club kicks Dunkley out for a first rounder, to him its kind of like saying Bont is happy to kick Dunkley out for a first rounder. I just don't think that flies, and is more likely to blow up in our faces.
    All really good points, but they can be countered by needing to make a tough call for the greater good.

    I'm also not suggesting trading him for a first rounder, I'm suggesting trading him for another player that changes our midfield mix and a second rounder which I think is reasonable in terms of value, and that second rounder to be on traded to another club for a player who can also help us change our midfield mix a bit.

    It's a very tough conversation to have as supporters but I think it has some merit.

  14. Likes soupaman liked this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    On the Lipinski front, yes he is slow but he's no slower than Dunkley himself or Jacko, but what he does have is reliable kicking in space and good finishing credentials.

    Again, it's a very very tough call. I guess I'm wondering how we can materially change things and in thinking about it this is the only way that springs to mind.

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Libba doesn't have long left IMO and Dunks is a beast, made for finals. I'd be keeping him and looking at moving on other pieces like Lipinski, even if they obviously won't command the same value that Dunks would.

    I don't think we need a superstar outside mid anyway, we just need something different. Hunter helps but so too does Vandameer when he goes onto a wing.
    Agree 100% on the bolded bit. We do need some personnel changes to the list but I am far more concerned about the game plan - that is the 'something different' we should give focus to. For that we urgently need fresh voices in the coaches group from different clubs and different environments. We needed this at the start of 2018 truth be told.
    "You've got no fear of The Underdog, that's why you will not survive"
    - Spoon, 2007
    - Western Bulldogs, 2016

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    11,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Agree 100% on the bolded bit. We do need some personnel changes to the list but I am far more concerned about the game plan - that is the 'something different' we should give focus to. For that we urgently need fresh voices in the coaches group from different clubs and different environments. We needed this at the start of 2018 truth be told.
    Definitely agree we need a mix change in coaching. That's extremely clear.

    I'm just worried about our mix of cattle, and how we change it.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,715
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    On the Lipinski front, yes he is slow but he's no slower than Dunkley himself or Jacko, but what he does have is reliable kicking in space and good finishing credentials.

    Again, it's a very very tough call. I guess I'm wondering how we can materially change things and in thinking about it this is the only way that springs to mind.
    I think these are all conversations we need to have because it's clear our mix is not right, particularly v the best sides who consistently hurt us on the spread away from stoppage.

    Hard calls will need to be made, be it in a list/trade capacity or selection. I just think Libba (love him) and Lipinski are most vulnerable for varying reasons (Libbas knee history has hurt us and him).

    Who's potentially available from opposition clubs?

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Algester, Qld
    Posts
    5,952
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Trade Dunkley

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We have to give someone good to get someone or something good but as Sedat says I think he's a keeper
    I'm not against trading most players Jeemak but it would need to be for someone pretty special for Dunks given he is also in the leadership group

    We do need to someone with pace and kicking depth in our midfield though
    We need another midfielder who has the kicking precision of Caleb Daniel.
    In fact, is Caleb's physical stature a problem for him playing minutes in the midfield?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •