Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 14 of 263 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I would say NO to trading Dunkley. But as a hypothetical, let's say some other clubs prick up their ears and start thinking Dunks is 'gettable'.

What offer would you say yes to? (I know, presuming Dunkley wanted to go their etc etc)
    An excellent small forward or a quality key back.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

So are you guys up for trading Dunkley?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So are you guys up for trading Dunkley?
    In a vacuum yes. He is the highest value player we have that is surplus to our needs, although I guess you could argue Macrae is a slightly more valuable player and Dunkley could take his spot if he left.

However, Dunkley is perfect off field, well behaved, presents well, seems to be popular in the playing group (was he voted into the leadership group) and is tight with Bontempelli who comes out of contract next year and is the last person we want to annoy. Also the context matters, if Dunkley wants out then so be it, but if it's us pushing him out I think it doesn't go down well with the group, which could be a big risk.

I guess the flipside is even if we piss of the playing group it isn't like we are overperforming anyway so as long as we don't lose anyone important out of it we probably stand to benefit.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    let's hope the positive of the Don's interest in Dunckley is that Bevo never plays him in the ruck again.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we need names.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    An excellent small forward or a quality key back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    In a vacuum yes. He is the highest value player we have that is surplus to our needs, although I guess you could argue Macrae is a slightly more valuable player and Dunkley could take his spot if he left.

However, Dunkley is perfect off field, well behaved, presents well, seems to be popular in the playing group (was he voted into the leadership group) and is tight with Bontempelli who comes out of contract next year and is the last person we want to annoy. Also the context matters, if Dunkley wants out then so be it, but if it's us pushing him out I think it doesn't go down well with the group, which could be a big risk.

I guess the flipside is even if we piss of the playing group it isn't like we are overperforming anyway so as long as we don't lose anyone important out of it we probably stand to benefit.
    Excellent response, to a post that was tongue in cheek!

I agree with all of that. Though, with a couple of months after the original post as water under the bridge it just doesn't look like there's a player on the market worth swapping for and my original post didn't take into account our points scenario with JUH.

Perhaps given Dunkley is contracted for another two years this year wouldn't be the one to pull the trigger anyway?

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely.
    Hey DD, you've been responding above the quote for a few days now, what's your secret?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Dunkley is arguably one of our best half a dozen players and a good Premiership player as well. Dunkley is the sort of person you build good teams around. We have been unsettled both in defence and attack plus an over reliance on English as a sole ruckman. The department that has enabled us to at least make the finals in the past two years has been our midfield with Dunkley being a key part of this unit. We should be doing all possible to retain him IMO.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not quite certain what you mean jeemak. Above the quote or above the quota?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hey DD, you've been responding above the quote for a few days now, what's your secret?

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we need names.
    For the sake of the exercise ... say Sydney dangles Papley to land an apparent to Josh Kennedy and make amends for foolishly shunning the son of a very dour gun via father-son.

Are we listening?

---

FWIW unless he's fangin' to leave I think we're nuts if we move Dunks on, you don't tear at the fabric like that, especially when it's 23 years old.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    For the sake of the exercise ... say Sydney dangles Papley to land an apparent to Josh Kennedy and make amends for foolishly shunning the son of a very dour gun via father-son.

Are we listening?

---

FWIW unless he's fangin' to leave I think we're nuts if we move Dunks on, you don't tear at the fabric like that, especially when it's 23 years old.
    I'm listening. Papley for Dunkley. That's actually got me a little stumped. Dunkley is a rock solid citizen, premiership player, tough as nails, much love clubman etc. Papley is pretty much EXACTLY what we're missing in our forward line.

15. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Dunkley is arguably one of our best half a dozen players and a good Premiership player as well. Dunkley is the sort of person you build good teams around. We have been unsettled both in defence and attack plus an over reliance on English as a sole ruckman. The department that has enabled us to at least make the finals in the past two years has been our midfield with Dunkley being a key part of this unit. We should be doing all possible to retain him IMO.
    As a footnote, JUH also spent a week living with him. Whilst that was an exercise with undoubtedly numerous goals, bonding and forming a relationship to make Jamarra infinitely more comfortable would be high on that list.

Shipping the bloke you get him to form a relationship with off to Jamarra's boyhood team (Essington) is Inception levels of madness.

17. Likes Doggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For what it’s worth, a family member received a direct message from Josh last night saying he hadn’t spoken with Essendon and he’s not going anywhere.

These fabricated stories are just unfair and unethical on a myriad of levels.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    For what it’s worth, a family member received a direct message from Josh last night saying he hadn’t spoken with Essendon and he’s not going anywhere.

These fabricated stories are just unfair and unethical on a myriad of levels.
    In light of that you wonder how these things get started.

Perhaps
    Journalist (Loosely Defined term) trawls internet for footy stories

Stumbles on thread on WOOF

Assumes that because fans discuss the logic that Dunkley is gettable.

Questions from his/her own limited intellect ... which club could really use Josh Dunkley

.. answers rhetorical question clearly Essington

Starts story that Dunkley may be gettable and Essington would be interested..

Essington asked if they would be interested and answer is Yes Please!!

Story now has legs and official rumourmonger has clicks plus Essington fans all in love with the idea.

Can now keep stoking until end of trade period.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

20. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Essendon honestly believe that its unfair other teams have players they want.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

22. Likes Dry Rot liked this post