Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 26 of 263 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676126 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Because they're not offering double his salary.

Honestly I'd play for Essendon if they came at me with that.
    Second house here we come!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not sure it is that easy to fix with how stubborn Bevo is.
    Then he plays in the ruck for us from time to time and leaves in two years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    As I was told today, Essendon is saying he wants to come to us. He doesn’t want to be a ruckman as he’s had to be at times.
    That's still just saying what Essendon says. It's not what Dunkley or us told Jon Ralph which is far more important. It's a poorly written article full of maybes and Essendon wishes and short on actual facts. At one stage it says that Josh "is keen to move to the Dogs" If this was a post on BF it would have the *!*!*!*! trolled out of it. The only definitive quote is us saying "The Bulldogs as we speak today are saying nothing is doing, there is no way we will trade a player who has two yeas on his contract."

Essendon can say that it was really them that won the flag last night if they want and just because Jon Ralph repeats it or says "Essendon told me they would win the 2021 AFL Premiership" doesn't make it true.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

5. Likes soupman, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Second house here we come!
    With no more premiership medals to put in it and no more premiership reunions to come home to it from.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    With no more premiership medals to put in it and no more premiership reunions to come home to it from.
    Wouldn't you keep your premiership medals and reside and return from premiership reunions at your first house?

I don't have a second house so I'm only guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thinking about this situation overnight, the AFL needs to do something about player contracts. I just can't agree that players try to break contracts because they have a better offer, or are allowed to break contracts.

Part of me says, the club should just say to Dunks, sorry you have two years left, tough titties, but on the other hand we can take advantage of the situation. However, if we do allow Dunks to leave, the message to the rest of the playing group is they can also take advantage. I have no doubt in my mind that clubs will be coming for Bailey Smith, ala Hawks in the next few years.

Is that what we want in the AFL, players breaking contracts, Free Agents going to top 4 clubs. The whole idea of the AFL was always to even out the competition and that is why we have the draft and salary cap. It seems to me the evenness is slowly eroding away and it is becoming a bit of a free for all.
    Players have been wanting to leave clubs for yonks and have ended up staying at their original club. Papley last year is one example. Now he is happy in Sydney. Another was Ryan O'Keefe who wanted to leave Sydney and go to the Hawks. He ended up staying and played in a premiership. I remember Wayne Campbell wanted to leave Richmond, couldn't get a clearance and ended up staying. There are many more that others might remember. So even if Dunks was interested I am confident the club will stick to "no deal" and he will stay a dog.

9. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like many I'm still yet to see anything definitive about him wanting to leave, the vast majority of it including from reporters falls under the "wild speculation" category. As pointed out by Twodogs the main indicator that he is leaving comes from a post that reads like it is ripped straight from Bigfooty.

Dunkley does not appear to be the kind of guy that would demand a trade; he doesn't seem like a mercenary, he is the coaches pet (and in my experience the coaches pet never leaves), has a really good friendship group at the club including Bont, is well respected and liked by the playing group and despite the occasional stint in the ruck always appears to be enjoying playing for the side.

I will admit it is plausible though, it's a huge offer and one I don't think we could (or should) get close to matching. I think at most he could get approx $700k with us (which is still huge obviously) which means he stands to collect and extra $1m over 5 years by moving (even more when you consider his current contract is likely to be $500k at best, so a $2.5M increase over 5 years). Combine that with Essendon likely picking up his brother Kyle, who he is pretty close with (as well as his sister Lara) he kind of has two boxes ticked.

I'd imagine if he does go it would be tentatively and almost because he feels obliged to, I mean it's almost irresponsible to not take an offer like that, hence the whole "we will make him an offer too good to refuse" strategy from Essendon. I'd certainly be disappointed by him choosing that option but I also don't think I would begrudge him making that choice, although it being Essendon is so shit from both a "I really hate Essendon" and a "Dodoro is the worst to deal with" standpoint.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

11. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of hysteria surrounding this one.

I just can’t see how a deal gets done at this stage. Essendon don’t have the currency at the trade table to land a big fish from us. Draft picks are worth less to us this year and unsure if trading for future picks helps our shirt term aspirations to be a top 4 side. We’d have to line up a few trades ourselves (contingent on those Essendon picks) before we’d consider pulling the trigger.

All of that aside, hard to see Josh leave. Popular team mate, best footy still in front of him and while he hasn’t got himself as much midfield rotation as he would’ve liked in 2020, no reason that doesn’t change in 2021. Football is a funny game, injuries happen, and the sun can set on careers pretty quicklY particularly for players with a history of long term injuries.

Let’s wait and see what happens here.

13. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Like many I'm still yet to see anything definitive about him wanting to leave, the vast majority of it including from reporters falls under the "wild speculation" category. As pointed out by Twodogs the main indicator that he is leaving comes from a post that reads like it is ripped straight from Bigfooty.

Dunkley does not appear to be the kind of guy that would demand a trade; he doesn't seem like a mercenary, he is the coaches pet (and in my experience the coaches pet never leaves), has a really good friendship group at the club including Bont, is well respected and liked by the playing group and despite the occasional stint in the ruck always appears to be enjoying playing for the side.

I will admit it is plausible though, it's a huge offer and one I don't think we could (or should) get close to matching. I think at most he could get approx $700k with us (which is still huge obviously) which means he stands to collect and extra $1m over 5 years by moving (even more when you consider his current contract is likely to be $500k at best, so a $2.5M increase over 5 years). Combine that with Essendon likely picking up his brother Kyle, who he is pretty close with (as well as his sister Lara) he kind of has two boxes ticked.

I'd imagine if he does go it would be tentatively and almost because he feels obliged to, I mean it's almost irresponsible to not take an offer like that, hence the whole "we will make him an offer too good to refuse" strategy from Essendon. I'd certainly be disappointed by him choosing that option but I also don't think I would begrudge him making that choice, although it being Essendon is so shit from both a "I really hate Essendon" and a "Dodoro is the worst to deal with" standpoint.

Don’t forget you get taxed on your income, if he moved into another tax bracket he could be getting just over what he is getting anyway.
    Just thought I would throw that in ;-)
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Don’t forget you get taxed on your income, if he moved into another tax bracket he could be getting just over what he is getting anyway.
    Just thought I would throw that in ;-)
    The top tax bracket is 45%. Also consider he'd absolutely have access to someone who could help him bring down his taxable income with some deductions. Even the worst case scenario of $1M extra income over 5 years ends up being at minimum $550K over the same time period. Still an astounding amount of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Just say he wants to leave because of the amazing offer basically setting him up for life. Is there a scenario where exactly because he is so well respected we actually give him his wish and try and broker a deal in good faith? I don't believe for a second that we should do this but I considered it and wondered what the forum might think.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Kyle stuff is really that important... couldn't we pick him up just as easily? God knows there are plenty of candidates for delisting and it's not like Kyle looked completely hopeless when he played. Would he really be worse that Porter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Just say he wants to leave because of the amazing offer basically setting him up for life. Is there a scenario where exactly because he is so well respected we actually give him his wish and try and broker a deal in good faith? I don't believe for a second that we should do this but I considered it and wondered what the forum might think.
    And therefore opening the door for a same scenarios with Smith and Naughton? Given his age the club will take a wider view than just what might suit Dunkley good bloke and all.

To me that is more of a scenario for a 28 or 29yo where the next deal might be their last
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes GetDimmaBack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If the Kyle stuff is really that important... couldn't we pick him up just as easily? God knows there are plenty of candidates for delisting and it's not like Kyle looked completely hopeless when he played. Would he really be worse that Porter?
    I don't like the idea of giving away list spots unless we think people deserve them. I get it's expedient to possibly do that but you pay a price, just like the Bummers will if they bring in Kyle Dunkley and players who are already on their list see good mates get delisted to ensure an extremely highly paid recruit can have a brother gifted a list spot at the club.

If they want to play that game, good on 'em. If they think it's going to be good for their culture then again, good on 'em.

21. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Plenty of hysteria surrounding this one.

I just can’t see how a deal gets done at this stage. Essendon don’t have the currency at the trade table to land a big fish from us. Draft picks are worth less to us this year and unsure if trading for future picks helps our shirt term aspirations to be a top 4 side. We’d have to line up a few trades ourselves (contingent on those Essendon picks) before we’d consider pulling the trigger.

All of that aside, hard to see Josh leave. Popular team mate, best footy still in front of him and while he hasn’t got himself as much midfield rotation as he would’ve liked in 2020, no reason that doesn’t change in 2021. Football is a funny game, injuries happen, and the sun can set on careers pretty quicklY particularly for players with a history of long term injuries.

Let’s wait and see what happens here.
    On the flipside they will have heaps of picks with Daniher and Saad leaving. That's probably three first round picks coming in at once.

If we were to trade I'd be trying very hard to get their first rounder next year. They won't improve, are already shit, are not really making big moves to improve themselves culturally, it could well be a top 5 (if not top 2 or 3 ) pick. That's what I'd be pushing for. Additionally they likely get picks 17 and 18 from Brisbane this year for Daniher.

Give them Dunkley and our pick 12 this year for their picks 17 and 18 this year and their first rounder next year. Obviously I'd hang onto the probably very good pick next year for ourselves but picks 17 and 18 would be good currency to target a number of players with or we could split them further for more points ie. Port Adelaide have 26 and 42 which is worth over 100 points more than pick 18 (not the best example but the kind of thinking we could do).

23. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post