Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 27 of 263 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't like the idea of giving away list spots unless we think people deserve them. I get it's expedient to possibly do that but you pay a price, just like the Bummers will if they bring in Kyle Dunkley and players who are already on their list see good mates get delisted to ensure an extremely highly paid recruit can have a brother gifted a list spot at the club.

If they want to play that game, good on 'em. If they think it's going to be good for their culture then again, good on 'em.
    I agree, but we would have drafted him if Melbourne hadn't have jumped in early so we do rate him plus he has links with Footscray
    I don't think we should recruit Kyle just for the sake of keeping Josh happy unless we still rate Dunkley jnr
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the idea of giving away list spots unless we think people deserve them. I get it's expedient to possibly do that but you pay a price, just like the Bummers will if they bring in Kyle Dunkley and players who are already on their list see good mates get delisted to ensure an extremely highly paid recruit can have a brother gifted a list spot at the club.

If they want to play that game, good on 'em. If they think it's going to be good for their culture then again, good on 'em.
    Kyle is a very interesting bargaining chip. I am big on list spots being super valuable so I would not be supportive of picking him up as solely a stablemate. Essendon realistically should take a position now where they say "regardless of your choice Josh we will pick Kyle up for 2021 because we rate him, if you want to play with him come on over". The alternative is more of a hostage situation where they are telling Josh to come over or else Kyle gets punished.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I agree, but we would have drafted him if Melbourne hadn't have jumped in early so we do rate him plus he has links with Footscray
    I don't think we should recruit Kyle just for the sake of keeping Josh happy unless we still rate Dunkley jnr
    Again if we legitimately think he is worth listing then by all means we should, but the decision should be independent of the impact he has on Josh. Completely agree that he couldn't be a more useless squad member than Porter based on what we've seen, but list spots are valuable so he needs to earn it on merit.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, prior to list sizes being restricted and before anyone had had a look at him in an AFL environment we would have but I think things have changed a bit since then.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't you keep your premiership medals and reside and return from premiership reunions at your first house?

I don't have a second house so I'm only guessing.
    I've owned two houses-got a big super payout from the Howard government and bought cheap in the western suburbs just before property values started to soar. It's not as good as you think it is. In fact it's a pain in the arse. Sitting tennants (any sort of tennant) are a special kind of hell. Repairs and maintenance cost a lot, insurance is insanely expensive, real estate agents tend to forget you own the house and think the property belongs to them and make decisions on that basis. And have you seen how much council rates are these days? You are almost better off renting these days.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If the Kyle stuff is really that important... couldn't we pick him up just as easily? God knows there are plenty of candidates for delisting and it's not like Kyle looked completely hopeless when he played. Would he really be worse that Porter?
    If Josh was that interested in playing with Kyle then he had a trade period in which to make that desire known. Instead he signed a contract extension with us. I'm calling the desire to play with Kyle a flimsy story that a journalist made up which falls apart under the smallest amount of scrutiny. Like the rest of this story.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes Doggy, 1eyedog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Like many I'm still yet to see anything definitive about him wanting to leave, the vast majority of it including from reporters falls under the "wild speculation" category. As pointed out by Twodogs the main indicator that he is leaving comes from a post that reads like it is ripped straight from Bigfooty.

Dunkley does not appear to be the kind of guy that would demand a trade; he doesn't seem like a mercenary, he is the coaches pet (and in my experience the coaches pet never leaves), has a really good friendship group at the club including Bont, is well respected and liked by the playing group and despite the occasional stint in the ruck always appears to be enjoying playing for the side.

I will admit it is plausible though, it's a huge offer and one I don't think we could (or should) get close to matching. I think at most he could get approx $700k with us (which is still huge obviously) which means he stands to collect and extra $1m over 5 years by moving (even more when you consider his current contract is likely to be $500k at best, so a $2.5M increase over 5 years). Combine that with Essendon likely picking up his brother Kyle, who he is pretty close with (as well as his sister Lara) he kind of has two boxes ticked.

I'd imagine if he does go it would be tentatively and almost because he feels obliged to, I mean it's almost irresponsible to not take an offer like that, hence the whole "we will make him an offer too good to refuse" strategy from Essendon. I'd certainly be disappointed by him choosing that option but I also don't think I would begrudge him making that choice, although it being Essendon is so shit from both a "I really hate Essendon" and a "Dodoro is the worst to deal with" standpoint.
    But Soupy we don't know if the figure of 900 is correct. It came from a Tom Browne tweet.

Post Thanks / Like

On player contracts may be there should be some penalties involved to the player braking the contract out side clubs dealing picks or players.
    Something along the lines you play for the other club on rookies wage until your contract with your original club expires and the rest of your new wage goes back to your old club.
    Then the big money offers play less apart and its more on you wanting to move.
    Give some power back to the clubs. Salary would also need to be out in the open so the contracted club gets it rightful amount.

I am of the view that players should be on a wage and everyone gets the same just like anyone else in a job. That wage can be supplemented with types of bonusses but that another story.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    But Soupy we don't know if the figure of 900 is correct. It came from a Tom Browne tweet.
    Fair.

On the flipside I doubt Dunkley leaves unless it is an outrageous offer like that, so if it less than the amount Browne is reporting then I think the likelihood of Dunkley actually wanting out diminishes drastically.

10. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We don’t “have to” do anything.

There is no reason on earth at present to up our $$ for him, recruit his brother, or promise him more time in the midfield.

In 2 years time, he will either have earned the alleged offers/Dustin Martin style numbers, OR injury/form/ development of other talent will have adjusted assessments of his worth to us in one direction or another. Meanwhile his brother will either have made it or be trundling round in a lesser league, and Bevo will or will not have seen the light about the ruck situation.

We hold the aces, because...CONTRACT!!
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

And therefore opening the door for a same scenarios with Smith and Naughton? Given his age the club will take a wider view than just what might suit Dunkley good bloke and all.

To me that is more of a scenario for a 28 or 29yo where the next deal might be their last
    True, agree mainly. Godfather deals are usually for the younger guys though not those at the end.
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'm constantly vacillating between sod off Essendon to hmm what can we get for him to fill a need.
    I'm not as dismissive of the reporting as others. There's something bubbling away.

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Fair.

On the flipside I doubt Dunkley leaves unless it is an outrageous offer like that, so if it less than the amount Browne is reporting then I think the likelihood of Dunkley actually wanting out diminishes drastically.
    Even if he nominates to leave and ends up staying, it is a massive indictment on our club that one of our best under 23 players, a model citizen and future leader, has allegedly decided he has no faith in the future direction of our club.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

15. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of comments.

The only reason Dunks would leave is for the money, not because he has cracked the shits over playing a couple of games relief ruck. He loves the club and his mates at the club and loves the coach.

Also, lets say we decide to trade with Essendon. Knowing Essendon the deal will be done on the eleventh hour and we won't have time to use the picks to on trade with another club for a Backman/Ruck, small forward. I can see that happening when Essendon is involved.

Overall, I hope Dunks comes out soon and says he is going nowhere, or the club says we are holding you to your contract - too bad sonny Jim.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    We don’t “have to” do anything.

There is no reason on earth at present to up our $$ for him, recruit his brother, or promise him more time in the midfield.

In 2 years time, he will either have earned the alleged offers/Dustin Martin style numbers, OR injury/form/ development of other talent will have adjusted assessments of his worth to us in one direction or another. Meanwhile his brother will either have made it or be trundling round in a lesser league, and Bevo will or will not have seen the light about the ruck situation.

We hold the aces, because...CONTRACT!!
    Yeah but once someone doesnt want to be here, you dont keep them. Their hearts not in it and the fans will turn.

If he wants out see you later mate we dont want you either.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The only reason Dunks would leave is for the money, not because he has cracked the shits over playing a couple of games relief ruck. He loves the club and his mates at the club and loves the coach.
    How would you know that?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yeah but once someone doesnt want to be here, you dont keep them. Their hearts not in it and the fans will turn.

If he wants out see you later mate we dont want you either.
    Tom Papley? Ryan O'Keefe? I know they are very much in the minority but they do show that it can be done.

20. Likes Dry Rot liked this post