Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Their talent spotters haven't done to well in the past. And this year they've had nothing to watch in Victoria. This draft crop is going to be very interesting to track in a few years' time. Of course, by the same token they could fluke 3 of the top 5 simply because noone really knows how to place this years crop.
    Yes, and being Essendon, we can only hope that their net result does look like Caleb Marchbank (6), Paul Ahern (7) and Peter Wright (8).

2. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what he should have done is work harder to secure an additional first round pick in the mid teens and offer that up in addition to pick eight as a final bid. Who knows, it may have just been enough to land his player.

As BT and others have put it, putting a bid on the table that he knew very well wasn't going to get the job done given the actual top ten picks he had to work with has pretty much insulted the Dunkley's and made him look like he was taking the piss.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    People will howl this down but Bont more forward has to be a serious option - not exclusively, but more.

Goal kicking aside, he’s very good in the F 50.
    Bont would be the perfect player to spend significant time at HF as the player that rolls up to the contest at times then plays a short kick away at others, He has the contested game to make it work and I thought his marking in 2020 was better than it ever has been.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes Topdog, WBFC4FFC, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    DODORO LIFTS THE LID ON “COMPELLING” THREE-WAY DUNKLEY OFFER

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro has explained the specifics of the offer that was put forward to the Western Bulldogs for Josh Dunkley.

The Bombers pushed to land the midfielder, but the Bulldogs held firm on a player who remains contracted for a further two seasons.

Dodoro gave insight into what the Dons offered and how a third club, Collingwood, also attempted to become involved in the potential trade.

“In the end we had a direct offer with them (the Bulldogs) that had our pick 7 on the table and a future second-round selection,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“It was a very, very strong offer but at the end of the day they didn’t want to do that.

“Also another deal that Ned Guy from Collingwood worked extremely hard to put together in a three-way deal that we thought was fairly compelling as well.

“They would have landed a future first, two seconds and a third-round as well to get (Adam) Treloar for Josh. They were resolute and good on them.

“They played it extremely well. There was no problem at all with the Bulldogs.

“Contracted player and I probably would have done the same thing as well to be honest because he’s a quality person.”

Dodoro admits there are no ill feelings with the Dogs and Dunkley after the failed dealings.

“We worked really hard to try and get it done for him but unfortunately it didn’t happen,” he added.

“He’s going to have a terrific career at the Western Bulldogs and I’m sure that we can all move past this, but it is disappointing.”
    Really can’t fault dodoro on this. Two negotiators went at it with their clubs best interests as a priority and neither folded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think what he should have done is work harder to secure an additional first round pick in the mid teens and offer that up in addition to pick eight as a final bid. Who knows, it may have just been enough to land his player.

As BT and others have put it, putting a bid on the table that he knew very well wasn't going to get the job done given the actual top ten picks he had to work with has pretty much insulted the Dunkley's and made him look like he was taking the piss.
    I think he should have asked the AFL to trade next years first - likely pick 1-4 and slammed that on the table. I can’t believe 8 was even part of the conversation considering the points would be gobbled on JUH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I think he should have asked the AFL to trade next years first - likely pick 1-4 and slammed that on the table. I can’t believe 8 was even part of the conversation considering the points would be gobbled on JUH
    Pretty sure he didn't need to. As long as they took 2 first round picks to the draft this year they could do what they wanted with next years pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I feel cheap saying this but if I was an Essendon supporter (shudders) I'd say the offer was more than fair and I wouldn't blame Dodoro for not being able to deliver Dunkley. I'd be thinking the Dogs have clearly over valued a very good but not a great player
    I disagree, for reasons others have stated. Most importantly that dunks is a 23 year old leader of our club with two years to run on his contract, and we did not want him to leave.

The offer would have been fair if he was out of contract, but he wasn't. It was arrogance to assume that they could offer the contract and then not meet the asking price.

Quote from Jason McCartney about Essendon, in view of their Caldwell negotiations:
    "That's Essendon: target a player, high quality, get them in the door then not be prepared to stump up the price to facilitate the deal"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I disagree, for reasons others have stated. Most importantly that dunks is a 23 year old leader of our club with two years to run on his contract, and we did not want him to leave.

The offer would have been fair if he was out of contract, but he wasn't. It was arrogance to assume that they could offer the contract and then not meet the asking price.

Quote from Jason McCartney about Essendon, in view of their Caldwell negotiations:
    "That's Essendon: target a player, high quality, get them in the door then not be prepared to stump up the price to facilitate the deal"
    It's clear now he thought he could pressure the deal and mould it with enough complicit noise from his mates, knowing full well it was a deal he wouldn't do himself.
    They had to pay overs, he knew this and still he tried to coerce a deal and fleece the dogs.
    The Dunkley's would be feeling a little jaded with the system at the moment I expect.

11. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post

Remember my comments were from an Essendon supporters perspective. I never wanted us to fold on Dunkley
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Really can’t fault dodoro on this. Two negotiators went at it with their clubs best interests as a priority and neither folded.
    I can - Essendon offered two first round picks for Shiel with a second rounder going back.
    That wasn't on the table for Dunkley at any stage.

15. Likes bulldogtragic, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i think the Shiel trade particularly set a precedent, and while the consensus is that Essendon overpaid on that deal that is what we said would be required to get him off our hands.

It's easy to sound reasonable after the fact especially when you explain it from your pov but clearly Essendon wasn't coming to the table with a sufficient deal for a 23 year old very contracted big bodied midfielder which is the exact player they've needed to target for years.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Yes, and being Essendon, we can only hope that their net result does look like Caleb Marchbank (6), Paul Ahern (7) and Peter Wright (8).
    Well they have proven the best way to get pick 8, is let another club draft him and then trade him in when the original club no longer rates him.

Saves all the trouble of needing good scouts and dealing with developing players.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yeah i think the Shiel trade particularly set a precedent, and while the consensus is that Essendon overpaid on that deal that is what we said would be required to get him off our hands.

It's easy to sound reasonable after the fact especially when you explain it from your pov but clearly Essendon wasn't coming to the table with a sufficient deal for a 23 year old very contracted big bodied midfielder which is the exact player they've needed to target for years.
    Treloar went to Collingwood for two first rounders - both pick 7s

Only one first rounder for Dunkley as a contracted player was ridiculous, even with a second rounder added to the deal.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not letting Dodo off the hook.
    Yep he's trying to do the best for his club, that's a given, but he had to know that market value wasn't going to be enough to prise him out. And in knowing that, if he wasn't prepared to provide an offer significantly above market value, he should not have approached a player with 2 years left on his contract with promises of riches and playing with his brother.

He had to know the greater significance, from out point of view, of what what was at stake given the young talent we've got on our list. If he didn't, then that reflects poorly on his professionalism and ability to read the play.
    I really think this was as big a statement we've made as a club in our modern history about who we are and our confidence as a professional sporting organisation. This ranks up there with our response to Griffen's departure for mine.

Had we buckled, we would've been on the back foot for the next 3-4 years trying to retain our talent, and possibly having to pay overs to keep players and ending up in a salary cap mess ourselves.

I think we've clearly let 17 other clubs know we are very clear on our priorities and strategic direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Given the first round pick offered was likely to be absorbed into a JUH bid, and we could get the points for JUH elsewhere the Dons was effectively a future second rounder

It was a ridiculous offer after all that - but our logic was good - the Dons pick next year has the potential to be 1-5.