Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 29 of 263 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Yep, you get two free ones and that's it. Make them count.
    Jeemak, surely Dodoro hasn't been reading WOOF -
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So.….it's a massive indictment on the club that another club is willing to double his wage, and employ his brother when nobody else would?

Not sure I see the logic Sedat.
    You don't think the core playing groups of Brisbane 2001-2003, Geelong 2007-2011, Hawthorn 2013-2015 and Richmond 2017-2020 weren't offered ludicrous contracts from other clubs and decided to take a collective hair cut to stay together? Ablett and Buddy are the only 2 players who bucked this trend, and they weren't 22yo players still with a point to prove who have not yet entered their prime.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It's a good point. You'd wonder if the same scenario involved Shai Bolton would his head be turned as reportedly (I know source is questionable) Josh's has.
    Let’s just see how this plays out with Dunks.

On September 16th [2013], the Tigers had issued a statement acknowledging the 22-year-old Dustin Martin was to "pursue other opportunities."

The out-of-contract midfielder's management had been demanding a fresh deal of more than three years at $600,000 per season.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you get two free ones and that's it. Make them count.

Is that how we talk tough on the internets?
    Yeah m8
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Unless he publicly reaffirms his desire to stay at the club, this is just a horrible look for us. Other clubs will look at us as a team who cannot keep their fabric players all together. As GVGjr said, what about Naughts and Bailey Smith when they are next up for contract?

For mine it is not even important if the deal is done or not. What really matters is that it's an alleged decision by a young player, not even yet entering their prime and who is an impeccable citizen, that they don't believe in the future of the club.

Dynasty clubs hold their players together and take a collective pay cut to do so. Money is irrelevant if a player is truly happy, settled and believes in the future success of the club.
    Sorry, I didn't see this one before I posted my reply to your earlier post.

I don't see us as a dynasty club, and possibly players see us (like me) as a rebuilding club. If we were right smack bang in the conversation for winning multiple flags perhaps it would be different with Dunkley and a reported doubling of wages wouldn't be so appealing to him. But we're not.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

delete

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Sadly yes. If someone doesnt want to be here you trade them out.

Lets not mention Bont is this cursed thread with him coming out of contract at the end of next season.
    If that is the case I suggest we abolish all contracts as they are not worth a piece of s##t.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    So if Bont or Naughton say they’d rather be elsewhere we’d just wave them on their way?

I also find it mind boggling that there are all these rules around draft tampering and equalisation yet it is ok to offer inducements to break a legally binding contract?
    Yep what happened to the good old days when you couldn't contact an opposition player who is in contract.

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    If that is the case I suggest we abolish all contracts as they are not worth a piece of s##t.
    Welcome to professional sport.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yep what happened to the good old days when you couldn't contact an opposition player who is in contract.
    You dont contact the player, you contact the manager.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see us as a dynasty club, and possibly players see us (like me) as a rebuilding club. If we were right smack bang in the conversation for winning multiple flags perhaps it would be different with Dunkley and a reported doubling of wages wouldn't be so appealing to him. But we're not.
    Richmond built their dynasty after our premiership in 2016, and they did it with a game plan that was refined and improved on what we did in 2015-16. There is no reason whatsoever why we couldn't have built on 2016 to form our own dynasty. Clearly we didn't.

As a supporter, I'm as guilty as anyone for treating 2017 like a big holiday (probably moreso as I went on 3 overseas holidays that year). The truly great clubs get a taste and they get hungry for more. It's fair to say we didn't handle it from the top down, and now we have fabric players under 23 reportedly wanting to leave the club for another club that is frankly rubbish and has been for most of this century. It is just not a good look for us.

Geelong will improve again next year, ditto Richmond. Port definitely will, as will Brisbane. St Kilda are very proactive in improving their list after having a more successful season than us. How on earth are we going to jump ahead of all these clubs, let alone get ahead of teams around us (West Coast, Collingwood) and aggressive teams below us?

We dropped the ball, and last night was a very sobering reminder of just how much we failed to grasp our gilt-edged opportunity to develop a dynasty at the end of 2016.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I guess all we've got to go on is a handful of journos saying he wants out, we can pretend he wants to stay too but yeah we wont know until next week.

It cant always be kumbaya on here.
    Saying they've heard that Essendon think he wants out. The language matters. We know that there is an offer in front of him and there's no indication he's said no or yes to that. Everything else is rumour at this stage.

This is an easy play for Essendon. Target a player who'd suit your needs, offer him a massive contract tell them media, drip feed them that "yeah we think he's really interested... expect a trade request." If it works, great you have a new player and changed the narrative. If not you still changed the narrative and you can be applauded for doing your due diligence to improve the club.

15. Likes GetDimmaBack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really hope there's some truth to Dunks being pissed off being bashed up in the ruck, whether he stays or he goes.

Would be a big wake up call for the coach and MC about our ridiculous ruck situation.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I really hope there's some truth to Dunks being pissed off being bashed up in the ruck, whether he stays or he goes.

Would be a big wake up call for the coach and MC about our ridiculous ruck situation.
    Isn't it just supporters complaining?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I didn't see this one before I posted my reply to your earlier post.

Hardly see Essendon as a dynasty club either. We are more chance than them though.
    Bring back the biff

20. Likes macca, Bulldog4life liked this post