Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 98 of 263 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108148198 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 3937

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Makes sense that you'd have a lot of leverage in the contract when you've just won the rising star award and playing every game in your debut season, including a GF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    So who is NOT getting overpaid at Collingwood? That's who we should be targeting.
    Well Mihocek was kept on rookie wages.

I think they have now resigned him, but he would definitely require significantly more.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    You know backup ruckman get $650/$700K right?

Treloar is a victim of that "team first" mentality that gets so many players caught out. He agreed to 'push money back' in his own deal to enable the pies to sign other players...Dayne Beams first amongst them. From what I understand, an extra year was offered when this was done and the short-term pay cut was significant (in the hundreds of thousands).

He is a top quality mid with undoubted leg speed, one elite skill (first handball receive player) and considerable x-factor. He kicks it pretty well despite some claims to the contrary.

Do we need him? Well - I worry that he isn't really *WHAT* we need...but he is a bloody good player. His weakness is that real commitment to two way running and I don't like the idea of him being in a midfield with Bont, J-Mac and Liber who don't exactly excel in that area...Smith has potential there at least.

I still think we need more grunt - which is why I don't mind the idea of Hannan coming in for Lloyd...I just think our flankers and wingers are a little bit 'pretty' these days and whilst I appreciate the overall 'talent' of our group, there is a big difference from being a talented player and a GOOD player. I have harped on about the premature retirement of Matty Boyd (2017 was ruined due to concussion but he was back playing good footy by the end of it) and Picken enough...but we need players like those two, like Clay Smith (though hopefully better by foot!), like the most obvious one, Dale Morris.

I worry that Richards will never become that type of committed player...that Dale wont, that Le Young wont, that Lloyd wont, that Schache wont...I worry that when things get tough we will have too many passengers on the bus and not enough with their feet in the mud pushing. I can see the attributes in so many of our players that caught the attention of our recruiters...but I wonder if we just have overlooked that one critical element that enabled Morris to tackle Franklin in the centre square on GF day. I wonder if Treloar has that - and if our pursuit of him (if that is what it is) is more associated with seeing a shiny new toy to seeing something that we really, really need.
    I can't think of a single back-up ruckman on that kind of money, or near it. We all know Grundy's on $1m over 7 as a first ruck, and Lycett signed a $700k 4 year deal but he is also a first ruck. Maybe Nankervis would be the closest? He's Ben Hudson mk 2 and in 2020 at least was technically Soldo's back-up but he'll be the no 1 guy next year.

I like Treloar as a player now. And in 2021, 2022, probably 2023 - but do we really want to pay him $900k when he's a 31 and a 32 year old? 5 years at $900k is one of the biggest deals in the AFL.
    We're screaming out for quality in the front half and a decent KPD. If we're going to spend money, retention + need are the first two areas I'd look at.

As for the other players you've mentioned - I'm off the Dale bandwagon whenever the pressure is up, Richards will never reach his potential as a front half role player with us (and still has currency), I can't see Schache playing much football with us (and I think Hannan is instantly best 22 for us as a deep forward).

Wallis does have some Clay Smith traits in the front half and Hannan helps, but if Clay Smith has a cousin I'd love to know about it.
    Would we consider that ex-Footscray kid who had some serious grunt? We went close to grabbing him in the mini-draft. Kyle his first name is...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    So who is NOT getting overpaid at Collingwood? That's who we should be targeting.
    JDG and Stephenson. Both inconsistent match winners. JDG has some serious issues over his head and Stephenson signed a $500k extension in his first season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I can't think of a single back-up ruckman on that kind of money, or near it. We all know Grundy's on $1m over 7 as a first ruck, and Lycett signed a $700k 4 year deal but he is also a first ruck. Maybe Nankervis would be the closest? He's Ben Hudson mk 2 and in 2020 at least was technically Soldo's back-up but he'll be the no 1 guy next year.

I like Treloar as a player now. And in 2021, 2022, probably 2023 - but do we really want to pay him $900k when he's a 31 and a 32 year old? 5 years at $900k is one of the biggest deals in the AFL.
    It's a good point.

I guess the question is, how far do we think we are off genuinely contending? If we think we can win it in the next 1-3 years and that Treloar improves us significantly to do so, then I don't mind the risk.

I'd rather take a risk and fail than play it safe and fail.

It means we would need to try and trade in a KPD on the cheap or draft a ready made one from a state league, but if Treloar who is absolutely elite is available, then take the elite player now and work out another way to find a KPD. In all likelihood, we wouldn't attract a star KPD from another club anyway.

* Worth noting we didn't have elite KPDs in 2016 either. Morris, yes - but he played as the third tall behind Hamling and Roberts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    It's a good point.

I guess the question is, how far do we think we are off genuinely contending? If we think we can win it in the next 1-3 years and that Treloar improves us significantly to do so, then I don't mind the risk.

I'd rather take a risk and fail than play it safe and fail.

It means we would need to try and trade in a KPD on the cheap or draft a ready made one from a state league, but if Treloar who is absolutely elite is available, then take the elite player now and work out another way to find a KPD. In all likelihood, we wouldn't attract a star KPD from another club anyway.

* Worth noting we didn't have elite KPDs in 2016 either. Morris, yes - but he played as the third tall behind Hamling and Roberts.
    Time running out to get a KPD unless we are working on it now. Is AA from Sydney of interest? Apparently touring Port at the moment, so must be available.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Time running out to get a KPD unless we are working on it now. Is AA from Sydney of interest? Apparently touring Port at the moment, so must be available.
    Id thought he provided the functional flexibility that Bevo craves - he can play back right and take a turn in the ruck?

11. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much do you think we are considering the Dunkley 2x first rounders for NM pick 2?
    Are we thinking of grabbing McDonald and moving Naughton back?
    We keep hearing we need another KPD, but don’t we already have one playing fwd ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I can't think of a single back-up ruckman on that kind of money, or near it.
    Small list without using notes.

Preuss.
    Cox.
    Ceglar.
    Ryder. Or Marshall - whoever you prefer.
    Take your pick out of Bellchambers or the kid everyone loves at Essendon whose name I forget. (Yes, Bellchambers gone now).
    Hickey.
    Vardy.
    McInerney
    Ladhams. Or Lycett - whoever you prefer.
    With more than 5 secs I could go on...but backup ruckman use up an extraordinary amount of cap space for a lot of clubs.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Time running out to get a KPD unless we are working on it now.
    Is KPD code for Kyle Percy Dunkley?
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Small list without using notes.

Preuss.
    Cox.
    Ceglar.
    Ryder. Or Marshall - whoever you prefer.
    Take your pick out of Bellchambers or the kid everyone loves at Essendon whose name I forget. (Yes, Bellchambers gone now).
    Hickey.
    Vardy.
    McInerney
    Ladhams. Or Lycett - whoever you prefer.
    With more than 5 secs I could go on...but backup ruckman use up an extraordinary amount of cap space for a lot of clubs.
    Preuss (while at Melbourne), Ceglar, Hickey, Vardy and Ladhams are all on 600-700k?

Ryder at 32 was brought across with a late pick on 600k+?

If that is true, that's amazing.

McInernany I can believe as he is more versatile, and Lycett definitely because he is the main man.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Story is that Treloar is to meet with the 'doggies", but this trade could only happen with a) an enticing pick (probably from Dunks trade), or b) Us taking on far more of Adam's contract salary.

Personally, unless AT is an absolute give away, I would rather have Josh.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

17. Likes HOSE B ROMERO, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

If that is true, that's amazing.
    Ruckman do ok, don't worry about that. It is why stashing one on the rookie list is so attractive for clubs...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Story is that Treloar is to meet with the 'doggies", but this trade could only happen with a) an enticing pick (probably from Dunks trade), or b) Us taking on far more of Adam's contract salary.

Personally, unless AT is an absolute give away, I would rather have Josh.
    How good would it be if we had both
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Two Essendon supporters sitting on a bench

"I haven’t noticed Dunkley any time we’ve played Bulldogs."

"Probably because we have laid down for them the past 2 times we have played them."

Thanks Bomber's blitz and they are spying on us too...

"Dogs forum accepting nothing other then he is only making this decision based on money and that alone. They not happy. haha and nothing has actually even happened. May just fizzle out."
    that's right, talking about you centipede2
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus