Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If he knew he wouldn't do it, why didn't he move the deal to the point he would? That's insane. Have Dunkley nominate them, and then make a final offer to us that he wouldn't accept himself. The perfect example of his career.
    Precisely.

His obsession with winning the trade cost the trade.

It is hardly a compelling offer if it is something he wouldn't have accepted from the other side.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

If he knew he wouldn't do it, why didn't he move the deal to the point he would? That's insane. Have Dunkley nominate them, and then make a final offer to us that he wouldn't accept himself. The perfect example of his career.
    So essentially, he really did think he could pick on us. He thought he was the big kid and we were the weak kid that would cave. Sam has now changed that narrative.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    It’s just pathetic. But all we have to do is put up a "Closed for business" sign and head straight on over to the draft. I don’t care if Essendon offer all 3 of their 1st round picks (well I do but), [B]don’t even pick up the phone[/B.
    "What's the story with that empty office with the phone that just keeps ringing in it?"

"That's the number we gave Dodoro to reach Sam Power on. For God's sake don't answer it"

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So now that we've kept him, I think he and Libba should swap mid rotations.

Libba is a fantastic midfielder with some of the best in close hands in the competition, but I'm convinced the Dunkley we saw in 2019 is a better player. He's unmoveable off the ball, a phenomenal two way runner and tackler, and our best non-centre square extractor. I think Libba will also help our ball retention inside 50 if he spends more time there, which to me is a bigger area of need than Dunk's overhead work.

Plus, we can say its not a factor all we want but I wouldn't be against soothing his bruised ego a little bit.
    No problem at all soothing his ego (a bit.) Now that he's still a bulldog, he's 100% a bulldog and we try to make him happy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    People will howl this down but Bont more forward has to be a serious option - not exclusively, but more.

Goal kicking aside, he’s very good in the F 50.
    It's a really good solution to a great problem we suddenly have. Where to fit all the quality players we've got? Marcus roaming around the forward line being Marcus and doing what Marcus does best makes us a better team. A few centre bounces each week and then wreaking havoc in the forward line sounds like great fun.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Dodoro has done too much wrong here. He's actually put a very compelling offer forward that many would say was a slight over offer for Dunkley but it didn't meet our valuation. I'd say the potential impacts to the likes of Naughton and Smith down the track played a huge part of how we valued the contracted Dunkley and why we held firm on what would be required to pry him from us.

At the end of the day I think everyone understands why we took the stance that we did and we shake hands and get on with things next time
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes soupman, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy stuff. The perfect example of drinking his own bathwater while being egged on by the media. Not just drinking it but he's been injecting it. Mainlining it too by the sound of things.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

It really is pathetic isn't it. Apparently Dodo knows the Dunkleys quite well too so it is just extraordinary all round.

He is acknowledging that he lowballed us and we didnt fold.

Essendon are in for a World of hurt the next few years

Post Thanks / Like

I really dont understand the narrative about the offer of a first and second being overs for Dunkley.

Dunkley's 2019 was better than any year Dylan Shiel had AND he still had 2 years left on his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think Dodoro has done too much wrong here. He's actually put a very compelling offer forward that many would say was a slight over offer for Dunkley but it didn't meet our valuation. I'd say the potential impacts to the likes of Naughton and Smith down the track played a huge part of how we valued the contracted Dunkley and why we held firm on what would be required to pry him from us.

At the end of the day I think everyone understands why we took the stance that we did and we shake hands and get on with things next time
    In the vacuum of the trade negotiations I actually agree. Two top 10s for Dunks would have been drastic overs and he's probably shown a rare bit of self-awareness not trading next year's pick. We can't really talk about how happy we are we didn't fold and be critical of Dodo for not folding either at the same time (objectivity rule notwithstanding).

However, from a macro view he promised a player and their fans the world and failed to deliver. Would have to think others will think twice about dealing with him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    As soon as he brought out My dick is bigger than yours, I blocked him
    How does he know?

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the vacuum of the trade negotiations I actually agree. Two top 10s for Dunks would have been drastic overs and he's probably shown a rare bit of self-awareness not trading next year's pick. We can't really talk about how happy we are we didn't fold and be critical of Dodo for not folding either at the same time (objectivity rule notwithstanding).

However, from a macro view he promised a player and their fans the world and failed to deliver. Would have to think others will think twice about dealing with him.
    Yes Dunkley's worth as a player certainly isn't 2 first rounders. But given the circumstances of being under contract for 2 more years and as a leader of our club, yes that is his worth and that is the only value relevant here.

I'm not being critical at Dodo for not folding. I am however critical of him:
    - thinking he can simply throw some money at one of our contracted leaders,
    - offer a list spot to that players brother as part of the deal (we think so at this point anyway)
    - think we would fold for unders and at the same time drag the player they threw money at through a messy negotiation for a deal he never had the intention of doing anyway.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Although going to the Nat Draft, and particularly without much exposed form to go by in 2020, can be hit and more miss at say picks 7 & 8, which probably would've satisfied the trade for Dunkley.

Whilst 2018 would've netted Bailey Smith and Tarryn Thomas (which Thomas would've then pushed out to Chayce Jones) there's many more that look more like Paul Ahern and Peter Wright.

Essendon have gambled that they will back their talent spotters over a known and very attractive commodity in Dunks.

Personally I think Essendon have erred but only time will tell with what they can pick up with their picks.

When adding their audaciousness of trying to pry him from us with 2 years to run, and to then hang Dunks out there by not backing him in with what was the difference b/w a mid first to a second rounder is why Essendon and Dodoro have the reputation they have.

16. Likes Funke disco, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Personally I think Essendon have erred but only time will tell with what they can pick up with the picks.
    I actually think it is better for Essendon to get these high draft picks in and grow them. If the pick wisely, it will form the nucleus of a strong base in 3 or 4 years time. Rutten is capable and has the right attitude.

Of course, they are Essendon, have no patience, cannot develop, and have inpatient rabid board and fans. They'll stuff this up for sure.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Although going to the Nat Draft, and particularly without much exposed form to go by in 2020, can be hit and more miss at say picks 7 & 8, which probably would've satisfied the trade for Dunkley.

Whilst 2018 would've netted Bailey Smith and Tarryn Thomas (which Thomas would've then pushed out to Chayce Jones) there's many more that look more like Paul Ahern and Peter Wright.

Essendon have gambled that they will back their talent spotters over a known and very attractive commodity in Dunks.

Personally I think Essendon have erred but only time will tell with what they can pick up with the picks.
    Their talent spotters haven't done to well in the past. And this year they've had nothing to watch in Victoria. This draft crop is going to be very interesting to track in a few years' time. Of course, by the same token they could fluke 3 of the top 5 simply because noone really knows how to place this years crop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    I actually think it is better for Essendon to get these high draft picks in and grow them. If the pick wisely, it will form the nucleus of a strong base in 3 or 4 years time. Rutten is capable and has the right attitude.

Of course, they are Essendon, have no patience, cannot develop, and have inpatient rabid board and fans. They'll stuff this up for sure.
    Not a good year to go to the draft with the Vic boys not playing under 18 footy.

There is a big difference in footy talent when you jump from 16, 17 to 18, 19 years old. Kids grow quickly, the body changes, the attitude changes, etc.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel cheap saying this but if I was an Essendon supporter (shudders) I'd say the offer was more than fair and I wouldn't blame Dodoro for not being able to deliver Dunkley. I'd be thinking the Dogs have clearly over valued a very good but not a great player
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

22. Likes 1eyedog liked this post