Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 47 of 263 FirstFirst ... 37383940414243444546474849505152535455565797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Exactly. Why extend him? He's got 2 years left for goodness sake! I really hope this isn't true, like you said another player sees this who is under contract and says "What about me?" Hold him to his contract or trade him.
    Yes this would not be a wise move. Basically we are holding all the aces atm, we do this we have completely wasted a decent hand. He's not going anywhere, unless we say so therefore we just keep cool and play the straight bat until 1.) Essendon give up and go away or 2.) Godfather trade.

This is a real test for the club we need to use it as a template for going forward, or we could really regret it considering the young talent we have on our list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes this would not be a wise move. Basically we are holding all the aces atm, we do this we have completely wasted a decent hand. He's not going anywhere, unless we say so therefore we just keep cool and play the straight bat until 1.) Essendon give up and go away or 2.) Godfather trade.

This is a real test for the club we need to use it as a template for going forward, or we could really regret it considering the young talent we have on our list.
    I know the Club has preemptively increased contracts of players already under contract, re-writing the existing one. (Pretty sure we did this with Naughton). So I am not against it unless it is a material extension, which would take Josh out of the Free Agency window at this next contract.

If he wants more cash now but still has two years left, what is the point. The Club is smarter than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly a restructure of the deal for security and a little more money may in the long run work out for both Dunkley and us. It's a gamble, but not every player wants the same as the next (see Scotty Pippen's justification for signing onto a longer deal when he did).

If Dunkley feels like he's been low balled, what market diligence was his manager doing when he advised him to sign his last deal? Was his manager just looking for an easy pay day to keep numbers ticking over? Maybe Dunkley was too in love with the club last year and signed without giving proper consideration and he's had a come to Jesus moment and we're being conciliatory.

Apart from bad strategy on our part (which is a possibility for sure), something about us extending doesn't sound right.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Likewise, what's stopping rivals lobbing ambit claims thinking; if we get him, great, if we don't, we just squeezed their payroll a little more.
    We've been doing that to others for years! Hurley for example.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Isn't that just what teams do all the time?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Shhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Isn't that just what teams do all the time?
    Naturally, but the supposition around what extra curricular gravy other clubs can offer recruits gives pause for thought.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Apart from bad strategy on our part (which is a possibility for sure), something about us extending doesn't sound right.
    It's the jumping at shadows that doesn't sit right with me. Yes the irony of that statement is not lost on me, but considering all year Josh has been outside our best midfield setup, (for a number of valid reasons) I would really struggle with the concept of us reacting to another sides valuation of him considering their demand for his type creates this assessment. Not to mention the inflationary forces needed to pry out a contracted player.
    I've no problem renegotiating part way through a deal but the catalyst for this doesn't sit right for me. *

*if true. **
    **probably isn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be against an extension and subsequent restructure of his contract. I can't remember when he signed his current deal but I think it was prior to his outrageous run of 2019 form, so slightly unders at least for that output.

I think Dunkley rightly turns around to us and say "Essendon have given me this amazing offer, I love it here and all things being equal would prefer to stay, but their offer is very good and I would be an idiot to not consider it, how do you value me going forward"? We obviously would tell him we see him as being a long term part of the fabric of the club, and next thing you know we are asked to prove that. An extension is the logical way to do that, it gives both parties the opportunity to commit to the other and show they value eachother. From that a payrise is in order, and it makes sense to bring some of that payrise forward so that it isn't all owed in the extended period of the contract for our own salary cap reasons. If it happened in this manner Dunkley could very easily be handed a brand new contract worth a lot more immediately without it being either him taking advantage of the situation nor the club setting a dangerous precedent of external interest=immediate pay bump.

I know it feels like a slippery slope and feels like it means every player that signs a contract and then gets better can hold the club to ransom but I'm not sure thats the case. I think it would be more a show of good faith from both parties that they value the others input.

I'm not sure it works very often in the reverse though, although an example like Treloar who is a good chance of having to take a pay cut to play somewhere someone wants him shows that it can and does happen.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Dunks is worth it. Glad to have this off my conscience.

Knew we were safe as long as "Western Bulldogs #5" was in his IG bio.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes Grantysghost, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Why he ditched the famous Jim Edmond locker is beyond me.

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine if Dunks has been on holiday somewhere with shit phone reception and comes back to civilisation and knows nothing about any of this.

I’m gonna take a deep breath and try to relax till something is actually said by someone who actually knows, rather than the constant headline grabbing speculation that media trade week ‘experts’ who have ‘heard from someone’ keep throwing out.

13. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Can't see anything wrong with extending a contract. What is the big deal. I hope we extend The Bont as well soon.

People get worked up about player salaries? I get worked up about players leaving which is more important.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't see anything wrong with extending a contract. What is the big deal. I hope we extend The Bont as well soon.

People get worked up about player salaries? I get worked up about players leaving which is more important.
    If we can believe the reports as have been made I'd rather it not be played out leading into trade week and using the threat of moving to another club. If you think your being under valued and the club isn't receptive to a review then shop yourself around and follow through and leave if a better offer is found and a suitable trade can be made.
    You either want contracts to have some meaning or you accept the view of many of the players of looking for the better deals even if they have 2 years to play out and putting pressure on the clubs to keep paying more.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    We have problems but they are not in the midfield, that's for sure.
    Yes, I am not dead. From China with love.
    Great to hear from you Ghost Dog. Hope all is well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna reserve my comments til confirmation of a decision.

But if we've extended..I'm pretty happy.....any curmudgeonly F$%^er who has an issue with a renogiation.. we'll tango post announcement...
    I'm leading with my chin....Josh may announce his leaving to the Bombers.....
    Come at me..........

18. Likes Grantysghost liked this post