Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    He can play the role Carey did with North. Very few defenders can match up on him.
    I was thinking Pavlich. Pav & Bonts can literally play every role on the ground, albeit an ineffective ruckman.

- If a 3rd tall intercepting player, say Wood, goes down then we can push Bont back to cover it
    - If our mids are dominating without him, move him forward
    - If the mids are struggling, move him in
    - If there's a key centre bounce, put him in there

Hawthorn in their 3 Peat had a great set up. They changed their centre square set up after every goal. Which made it nearly impossible for opponents to work out how Hawthorn mids were setting up, as well as changing the mid sized players rotating through the forward line. We've now got the depth to do something similar. Particularly, if the tagger or person checking say Bonts goes with him, Bonts can drag them out of the centre square and give say Treloar some more freedom. Or the tagger stays and Bonts is going to likely get a lesser defender, or they shuffle and say Naughton/Bruce/Schache/JUH gets the lesser defender. The domino effect of having our mid field this strong should lend itself to a strong strategy/game plan and lots of game day opportunities for Bevo.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 13-11-2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Typos
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Testekill, Twodogs, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Spot on!

It’s already - “dogs stop gun mid from playing where he wants” instead of being “dogs stand ground on required contracted player”
    What I have read and listened to has been very complimentary of us holding onto Dunkley and the reasons why
    I have seen some silly things on Twitter but I ignore most of that
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What I have read and listened to has been very complimentary of us holding onto Dunkley and the reason why
    I have seen some silly things on Twitter but I ignore most of that
    That’s good. I was really referring to trade radio yesterday immediate afterward and Twitter. Glad the long form journos are calling it as it is

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    That’s good. I was really referring to trade radio yesterday immediate afterward and Twitter. Glad the long form journos are calling it as it is
    Trade Radio is a propaganda machine for the Essendon Football Club. They are appalling. Matt Rendell - all day carrying on Dunks is only worth pick 8, Cooney making up stupid trade deals that show we get low balled etc. Julian De Stoop and Brendon Goddard both barracking for Essendon - it was unlistenable.

Julian having a go at me on twitter saying Dunkley didn't want to just leave for money and he knows more - of course he didn't reveal it. I told him it was BS and it was all about money and I also know more than him .
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    How are you feeling J54? I was a bit worried we were going to lose you to the abyss these past few days!
    Still here thank-you Jeemak, far too chuffed to sleep last night and so enjoying all the press reports this morning.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Still here thank-you Jeemak, far too chuffed to sleep last night and so enjoying all the press reports this morning.
    This trade period feels so good, similar to when we got Boyd. Have we ever had a better trade period than this one.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Trade Radio is a propaganda machine for the Essendon Football Club. They are appalling. Matt Rendell - all day carrying on Dunks is only worth pick 8, Cooney making up stupid trade deals that show we get low balled etc. Julian De Stoop and Brendon Goddard both barracking for Essendon - it was unlistenable.

Julian having a go at me on twitter saying Dunkley didn't want to just leave for money and he knows more - of course he didn't reveal it. I told him it was BS and it was all about money and I also know more than him .
    I did read that exchange BAD... Classic well done. The Essendon guy saying enjoy your two flags in 95 years was the salt on the cake. You know you've got them when they reach for that nugget. Kudos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I did read that exchange BAD... Classic well done. The Essendon guy saying enjoy your two flags in 95 years was the salt on the cake. You know you've got them when they reach for that nugget. Kudos.
    As soon as he brought out My dick is bigger than yours, I blocked him

12. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DODORO LIFTS THE LID ON “COMPELLING” THREE-WAY DUNKLEY OFFER

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro has explained the specifics of the offer that was put forward to the Western Bulldogs for Josh Dunkley.

The Bombers pushed to land the midfielder, but the Bulldogs held firm on a player who remains contracted for a further two seasons.

Dodoro gave insight into what the Dons offered and how a third club, Collingwood, also attempted to become involved in the potential trade.

“In the end we had a direct offer with them (the Bulldogs) that had our pick 7 on the table and a future second-round selection,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“It was a very, very strong offer but at the end of the day they didn’t want to do that.

“Also another deal that Ned Guy from Collingwood worked extremely hard to put together in a three-way deal that we thought was fairly compelling as well.

“They would have landed a future first, two seconds and a third-round as well to get (Adam) Treloar for Josh. They were resolute and good on them.

“They played it extremely well. There was no problem at all with the Bulldogs.

“Contracted player and I probably would have done the same thing as well to be honest because he’s a quality person.”

Dodoro admits there are no ill feelings with the Dogs and Dunkley after the failed dealings.

“We worked really hard to try and get it done for him but unfortunately it didn’t happen,” he added.

“He’s going to have a terrific career at the Western Bulldogs and I’m sure that we can all move past this, but it is disappointing.”

14. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Bont can spend more time forward if Treloar can pick up his slack in the middle. We had some horrible periods in games this season when Bont was forward and the midfield couldn't get their hands on it. Bont stays a predominant midfielder though, he's top 5 in the league as a mid and good, not great as a forward.

I fail to see even the slightest comparison between Bont and Carey.
    We did - and perhaps Bont in the middle could’ve made a difference in those instances...but I blame our lack of halving the ruck contest for most of it.

If Martin can find a second wind and stay on the park...
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro has explained the specifics of the offer that was put forward to the Western Bulldogs for Josh Dunkley.

The Bombers pushed to land the midfielder, but the Bulldogs held firm on a player who remains contracted for a further two seasons.

Dodoro gave insight into what the Dons offered and how a third club, Collingwood, also attempted to become involved in the potential trade.

“In the end we had a direct offer with them (the Bulldogs) that had our pick 7 on the table and a future second-round selection,” he said on SEN Breakfast.

“It was a very, very strong offer but at the end of the day they didn’t want to do that.

“Also another deal that Ned Guy from Collingwood worked extremely hard to put together in a three-way deal that we thought was fairly compelling as well.

“They would have landed a future first, two seconds and a third-round as well to get (Adam) Treloar for Josh. They were resolute and good on them.

“Contracted player and I probably would have done the same thing as well to be honest because he’s a quality person.”

Dodoro admits there are no ill feelings with the Dogs and Dunkley after the failed dealings.

“We worked really hard to try and get it done for him but unfortunately it didn’t happen,” he added.

“He’s going to have a terrific career at the Western Bulldogs and I’m sure that we can all move past this, but it is disappointing.”
    So that deal, in the end, was basically a future first for Dunkley.

Again, well done Sam for not folding. To be honest, the two mentioned deals in this article I could imagine us taking in years prior. Sam has changed the frequency.

Post Thanks / Like

I love that he said screw you and then went it alone dealing with the Pies. He really is the iceman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So that deal, in the end, was basically a future first for Dunkley.

Again, well done Sam for not folding. To be honest, the two mentioned deals in this article I could imagine us taking in years prior. Sam has changed the frequency.
    Yep, we would only take significant overs and 1 first round pick wasn't it.

Though it would have been fun death riding Essendon next season!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems pretty honest there.

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he knew he wouldn't do it, why didn't he move the deal to the point he would? That's insane. Have Dunkley nominate them, and then make a final offer to us that he wouldn't accept himself. The perfect example of his career.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023