Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/...ult-situation/

Well Josh certainly really wanted to get to Essendon. It's going to be an interesting season for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think he was upset because he didn't get a job as kicking coach or something when he retired.

Here's a bit of an insight:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/afl-new...6-63ae5abccc28

Felt that he should have had a defencive coaching gig post retirement, moved back to Victoria and possibly became a little bitter.
    So that indicates that Andrew Dunkley is another casualty of the Paul Roos school of loyalty, where the only person that really matters is Paul Roos.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    So that indicates that Andrew Dunkley is another casualty of the Paul Roos school of loyalty, where the only person that really matters is Paul Roos.
    Well if you asked Paul Roos what he thought about that sort of comment he'd say Paul Roos.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Excuse me. Mindfulness coaching is also an important compliment to :the modern day coach. Invoice #356 for 300k on the way. Thank you.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/...ult-situation/

Well Josh certainly really wanted to get to Essendon. It's going to be an interesting season for him.
    God, there’s really no misconstruing the situation now. He genuinely wanted out - it wasn’t just an explore and cross fingers.

He’s never going to be worth more than he was this year; still think the dogs did the right thing holding Essendon to “the price”

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    God, there’s really no misconstruing the situation now. He genuinely wanted out - it wasn’t just an explore and cross fingers.

He’s never going to be worth more than he was this year; still think the dogs did the right thing holding Essendon to “the price”
    He felt flat.......... because he didn't get the big bucks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

I thought it was quite obvious he wanted out during the trade period.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Dunks just on Channel 7 News, disappointed but Bevo has set his mind at ease.
    Excited to be back and put my head down, work hard for the club.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

10. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we as a club did the right thing. I would go the next step and play Dunks where he is best for the team. If that means that he has to share midfield minutes then so be it. It's a team game. Dunks was a passenger in the 2016 GF, a few moments, but he could easily have been Jong/Suckling/Wallis. He has grown into a player of immense potential, but he is not there yet. He has to beat Libba, Treloar, Smith, Macrae and the Bont for a midfield spot. If he does that then fine, but I wouldn't be upsetting an apple cart to accommodate him.

12. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Josh Dunkley breaks silence on failed trade move from Western Bulldogs to Essendon

Western Bulldogs star Josh Dunkley has opened up for the first time after his failed trade move to Essendon, vowing to fight his way into the Dogs' midfield mix.

Dunkley was one of the big names up for a move during the trade period, publicly requesting a trade to the Bombers, but his incumbent club held firm, rejecting an Essendon offer of pick 8 and a future second-rounder.

The 23-year-old revealed that he had spoken with coach Luke Beveridge since the trade period, and said he would put off talk on his future until next summer.

"In the back of my mind I knew that it was a possibility after coming out and asking to go to Essendon, but with all respect the Bulldogs really held onto me and made it a challenge for Essendon to get me," he told reporters.

"It's nice to be able to know that you are wanted at the club now. I let the dust settle a little bit and then caught up with (Beveridge), I actually drove out to his place. We had a good chat and I've spoken to him a lot through the process as well.

"I'll definitely put it all to one side (and) I think it'll be exciting to go back."

After Dunkley's manager Liam Pickering told AFL Trade Radio that his client's desire to move to Essendon was due to wanting more midfield opportunities, the Bulldogs not only held onto him, but added another midfielder in Adam Treloar.

While midfield minutes could be harder to come by in 2021, Dunkley revealed that he had already caught up with the Dogs' new recruit and vowed to fight for his spot.

You've got to really put your head down and work hard and that's what I'm going to do," he said.

"Last week when it didn't go through I was back at it the next day training and looking forward to what we can do in 2021."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Josh Dunkley breaks silence on failed trade move from Western Bulldogs to Essendon

Western Bulldogs star Josh Dunkley has opened up for the first time after his failed trade move to Essendon, vowing to fight his way into the Dogs' midfield mix.

Dunkley was one of the big names up for a move during the trade period, publicly requesting a trade to the Bombers, but his incumbent club held firm, rejecting an Essendon offer of pick 8 and a future second-rounder.

The 23-year-old revealed that he had spoken with coach Luke Beveridge since the trade period, and said he would put off talk on his future until next summer.

"In the back of my mind I knew that it was a possibility after coming out and asking to go to Essendon, but with all respect the Bulldogs really held onto me and made it a challenge for Essendon to get me," he told reporters.

"It's nice to be able to know that you are wanted at the club now. I let the dust settle a little bit and then caught up with (Beveridge), I actually drove out to his place. We had a good chat and I've spoken to him a lot through the process as well.

"I'll definitely put it all to one side (and) I think it'll be exciting to go back."

After Dunkley's manager Liam Pickering told AFL Trade Radio that his client's desire to move to Essendon was due to wanting more midfield opportunities, the Bulldogs not only held onto him, but added another midfielder in Adam Treloar.

While midfield minutes could be harder to come by in 2021, Dunkley revealed that he had already caught up with the Dogs' new recruit and vowed to fight for his spot.

You've got to really put your head down and work hard and that's what I'm going to do," he said.

"Last week when it didn't go through I was back at it the next day training and looking forward to what we can do in 2021."
    Interesting read .. what do we get out of it?
    My take is ... the Beveridge chat involved work harder and show me.
    That he will see how things go this year then maybe ask to be traded again.
    He is backing himself to have an exceptional year, which is a great sign.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Interesting read .. what do we get out of it?
    My take is ... the Beveridge chat involved work harder and show me.
    That he will see how things go this year then maybe ask to be traded again.
    He is backing himself to have an exceptional year, which is a great sign.
    It's hard simply reading into some words but the lines I noticed were:
    "It's nice to be able to know that you are wanted at the club now." - Was there some sentiment he wasn't wanted?

said he would put off talk on his future until next summer. - Sounds like he'll try again next year.

"You've got to really put your head down and work hard and that's what I'm going to do" - Yeah this will be the ultimate test for Josh. I'm sure he's a very hard trainer but does he have what it takes to crack into our midfield which has suddenly become an even tougher task than it was before. If there were other reasons he wanted out other than simply the cash, then he's going to have to have an attitude change as walking away from problems won't get you far at this level. I'm sure in his chats, Bevo has drilled in that message to him. You won't simply be gifted games. I agree with FrediKanoute that Josh had a good 2019 but otherwise has been a bit of a passenger in the team. If he wants to be the main man then show it. He's yet to do that consistently and he's already behind 2nd year Bailey Smith. He's the last of our mids (Bont, Smith, Macrae, Libba, Treloar) that I'd throw a big contract at.
    Last edited by bulldogsthru&thru; 22-11-2020 at 09:47 AM.

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be interesting to see if the bombers come again and if they offer him the same next year.
    They can’t really offer less or it seems they have devalued him and he will see it that way.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder where this for Josh & Essendon?

Josh playing the role he wants, and playing really well. And has a new BFF. Potentially contending here, rebuilding there.

Essendon is expected to come again, says Bains. Essendon currently hold Pick 4. Assuming they are coming again:

Would Dodoro offer Pick 4? Would Power take Pick 4? (Pushed out to 5 assuming Daicos gets bid top 4)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I wonder where this for Josh & Essendon?

Josh playing the role he wants, and playing really well. And has a new BFF. Potentially contending here, rebuilding there.

Essendon is expected to come again, says Bains. Essendon currently hold Pick 4. Assuming they are coming again:

Would Dodoro offer Pick 4? Would Power take Pick 4? (Pushed out to 5 assuming Daicos gets bid top 4)
    I still wouldn't trade him. I know there were plenty of supporters on here who's opinions of Dunkley change once he requested a trade but to me he makes other players a bit better.
    Wasn't the offer last year a first and second rounder and we wanted 2 x first rounders?
    Perhaps the shoulder injury lessons his value for suitors.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"