Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley? Not tonight Josephine.

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    Very hard to know exactly where it sits without being involved.

I know at a lower level the reasons given for people leaving often don’t make much sense, what is perceived a certain way for one person may be completely different for others. Really tough to put a black and white lens on this so all the club can do is ensure we are holding players to a high standard.
    Dunkley's decision to leave is being questioned and I don't think anyone is putting a black and white lens on it but in answering Caro's observations last night that from Dunkley's perspective it's a culture issue I also don't think we can dismiss that either.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder where the line of division is, in his view. Him and Treloar, then the rest?

It all just smells a bit of one robotic guy struggling in a standard footy club - I think he will be disappointed when he sees that Brisbane is much the same.

Of course I hope the club is aware of and addressing any actual division in the playing group, but I'm not convinced.

Post Thanks / Like

All in all I think this is a great opportunity to improve or at least tweak our list. Something has to change. We lose a GF by 70 something after leading by 19 and let a 41 point lead in a final slip.

Dunkley looked to give his all but is the discord with him and the other mids? If he is presenting holier than thou to his team mates, maybe they don't want to play with him. Who really knows but as it stands its a positive that a change is happening whether it's forced or not. I just hope the powers to be make the right decision and we don't end up squandering this opportunity to improve our list
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

4. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that any football club that has fallen disappointingly short in a Grand Final and then backed it up with a very inconsistent season would quite likely have divisions within the group. Clearly they have the talent to make it all the way, but for whatever reason they've fallen short. That's bound to stir up some very strong emotions amongst a group of professional athletes that are all well aware of how quickly their sporting career goes by.

As others have said, I'm not advocating the club take a 'nothing to see here' approach: we should look at it very objectively and if there is something to address then get to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I think that any football club that has fallen disappointingly short in a Grand Final and then backed it up with a very inconsistent season would quite likely have divisions within the group. Clearly they have the talent to make it all the way, but for whatever reason they've fallen short. That's bound to stir up some very strong emotions amongst a group of professional athletes that are all well aware of how quickly their sporting career goes by.

As others have said, I'm not advocating the club take a 'nothing to see here' approach: we should look at it very objectively and if there is something to address then get to it.
    We did address it, we stopped playing Dunks in the ruck!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I wonder where the line of division is, in his view. Him and Treloar, then the rest?

It all just smells a bit of one robotic guy struggling in a standard footy club - I think he will be disappointed when he sees that Brisbane is much the same.

Of course I hope the club is aware of and addressing any actual division in the playing group, but I'm not convinced.
    I wonder how much discussion he had with Marcus Adams, who also left for potentially the same reasons?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

Like any workplace there would be people that come in and be more focused on the money and financial security than performance and those perhaps a lot more focused on performing at their best. Professional sports teams wouldn't be a lot different.
    It's a contract to contract environment so it will have a lot of competitive minded people who know they've got a short period of time to make the most of it. It's on Dunks to let the coaches sort though any distracted team mates but it appears he either ran out of patience with that or just the fact his partner being from QLD was the tipping point. We move on and as a club we now need to get a great trade outcome.

9. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Like any workplace there would be people that come in and be more focused on the money and financial security than performance and those perhaps a lot more focused on performing at their best. Professional sports teams wouldn't be a lot different.
    It's a contract to contract environment so it will have a lot of competitive minded people who know they've got a short period of time to make the most of it. It's on Dunks to let the coaches sort though any distracted team mates but it appears he either ran out of patience with that or just the fact his partner being from QLD was the tipping point. We move on and as a club we now need to get a great trade outcome.
    So many factors probably involved.

If I was 25 and had the opportunity to go and work up in Brisbane in the beautiful weather as opposed to a grim Melbourne winter at Skinner reserve I’d take it in a heartbeat!

Although would you want to play for Fagan now?

11. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    And if it's the party boys he is trying to get away from he'd wanna steer clear of Daniher then from what I've heard
    I've seen Daniher out and about, he was pretty straight edge every time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    So many factors probably involved.

If I was 25 and had the opportunity to go and work up in Brisbane in the beautiful weather as opposed to a grim Melbourne winter at Skinner reserve I’d take it in a heartbeat!

Although would you want to play for Fagan now?
    I'm not going to single out anyone until the facts are known.

Post Thanks / Like

Players leave clubs all the time. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong at the club. Freo might be losing up to half a dozen players now that's more of a story than one prima donna leaving the doggies. Sammy Power has re-signed all the others we wanted to keep. I take what Caro says with the tiniest grain of salt you can find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Players leave clubs all the time. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong at the club. Freo might be losing up to half a dozen players now that's more of a story than one prima donna leaving the doggies. Sammy Power has re-signed all the others we wanted to keep. I take what Caro says with the tiniest grain of salt you can find.
    Fully agree, it's a shame to lose Dunks but we have survived and then thrived with similar departures.
    The focus should be now to leverage a good deal and then move on. As BT has pointed out it creates a few list management opportunities.

If we were to land someone like Phillipou and then Hayes in the draft as supporters the focus on Dunkley will be minimised.

16. Likes Grantysghost, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Any chance she gets to have a crack at us she takes it with glee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Fully agree, it's a shame to lose Dunks but we have survived and then thrived with similar departures.
    The focus should be now to leverage a good deal and then move on. As BT has pointed out it creates a few list management opportunities.

If we were to land someone like Phillipou and then Hayes in the draft as supporters the focus on Dunkley will be minimised.
    Once he is gone G he will be only mentioned, if at all, in our ex-players thread. It is still raw at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Any chance she gets to have a crack at us she takes it with glee.
    Right on. She was smashing Bevo early in the year. I don't listen to that show because of her.