Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley? Not tonight Josephine.

So we should end up with the same picks(2 first rounders) that we wanted two seasons ago?

If that happens we should be chuffed. Got a couple extra years out of him, he played great footy in that time and his price is still the same.
    The curse is dead.

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    So we should end up with the same picks(2 first rounders) that we wanted two seasons ago?

If that happens we should be chuffed. Got a couple extra years out of him, he played great footy in that time and his price is still the same.
    I think we end up with two first rounders but in the teens, with late picks going back. Overall a lesser deal than what we asked for two years ago.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

4. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I think we end up with two first rounders but in the teens, with late picks going back. Overall a lesser deal than what we asked for two years ago.
    Which is fine IMO. We weren't getting 2 top 10 picks or whatever it is we wanted. That was the tax for trying to poach a young player with 2 years left on a contract. If we get pick 7 and a late first rounder (this or next year, they already finished top 4 this year so worst case is they win a premiership and it's 3 spots lower, big deal) with some pick swaps and a free 3rd rounder or something for them I think we've done pretty well for ourselves.

6. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane’s Tom Berry requests trade to GCS. Part of a deal for Pick 7? Ontraded in part for Dunkley???
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Brisbane’s Tom Berry requests trade to GCS. Part of a deal for Pick 7? Ontraded in part for Dunkley???
    One can only hope.

Sammy must be licking his lips right now

Post Thanks / Like

Pick 7 and 15 and I am happy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI, here’s the footywire comparison between Shiel in 2018 (6th in the B&F) and Dunkley 2022 (Winner B&F). Same age when trade requested.

Both requested trades for a six year deal at a new club, on a circa $750,000 salary.

Shiel was Pick 9 and swap of future first to GWS, future second to GWS.

This has to be rough expectation, Dunkley comfortably wins in comparison. Full comparison found here:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=O&fid2=O
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Pick 7 and 15 and I am happy
    See my post just now.

More like 7 (if they get it), Future First. Send them Pick 37 this year. At a push, trade them Pick 29 for their Pick 33 if that’s going to Lobb in any event.

So: Picks 7 (8 after Ashcroft matched bid), 15, 65, Lobb, Jones (plus future first) - without any other trades

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

See my post just now.

More like 7 (if they get it), Future First. Send them Pick 37 this year. At a push, trade them Pick 29 for their Pick 33 if that’s going to Lobb in any event.

So: Picks 7 (8 after Ashcroft matched bid), 15, 65, Lobb, Jones (plus future first) - without any other trades
    Mine was a wishlist
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jon Ralph assesses how Josh Dunkley could get to Brisbane Lions

The Western Bulldogs have made clear Josh Dunkley is worth well in excess of a single first-round pick as they prepare to secure Liam Jones on a three-year deal as early as Friday.

The Dogs are open to a range of scenarios in a trade to Dunkley to Brisbane that could include players and early picks from this year or the 2023 bumper draft.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge said after Dunkley won the Dogs best-and-fairest on Wednesday night the Lions would have to “pony up” for the 25-year-old.

That victory has only strengthened the Dogs’ resolve to hold firm until the Lions hand over a bumper haul of picks and or players.

Dunkley’s $650,000 offer at the Dogs means they have cap space if a player emerged that suited their needs from the Lions or even in a three-way deal.

The Lions could find it impossible to secure picks for Dunkley in this year’s draft given they will match a bid at No. 1 for father-son Will Ashcroft and recruiters believe Jaspa Fletcher will easily slot into the first-round as the club’s second father-son recruit.

Beveridge said he was thrilled Dunkley had departed in the right manner by attending the best-and-fairest.

“I’m really grateful, I think we all are, that he’s been mature and respects his time at our football club that he’s here tonight to really see it through,” he said.

”The obvious thing is that the Lions are going to have to pony up, so (list boss) Sammy Power is going to go to work on that over the next week or two.”

Liam Jones will cap an extraordinary return to the club as an unrestricted free agent, with the Dogs’ three-year offer allowing them to spread money out over that deal and even back-end his salary.

The Dogs believe the former key forward who then made his name as an elite full back at Carlton still has three good seasons in him despite turning 32 next February.

They are not interested in Melbourne’s Adam Tomlinson despite speculation he might have had a medical at the club.

There is still a level of confidence that when the Dockers secure their trade targets including Luke Jackson they may be prepared to deal on Rory Lobb, who is determined to make his way to the Dogs despite being contracted for 2023.

19. Thanks bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Dunkley’s $650,000 offer at the Dogs means they have cap space if a player emerged that suited their needs from the Lions or even in a three-way deal."

In the end do we think this is what it really came down to for Dunkley. Not even that money but how he perceived he was being treated? If he signed for $700K to $750K at Brisbane for six years. Let's take the higher number. Six years at $100K more is "only" $300K after tax over six years. Not really enough monetary incentive to be leaving IMHO.

It basically comes down to envy and where he believes he is ranked compared to Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Libba and also Bailey Smith. It is basically ego.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    "Dunkley’s $650,000 offer at the Dogs means they have cap space if a player emerged that suited their needs from the Lions or even in a three-way deal."

In the end do we think this is what it really came down to for Dunkley. Not even that money but how he perceived he was being treated? If he signed for $700K to $750K at Brisbane for six years. Let's take the higher number. Six years at $100K more is "only" $300K after tax over six years. Not really enough monetary incentive to be leaving IMHO.

It basically comes down to envy and where he believes he is ranked compared to Bont, Macrae, Treloar, Libba and also Bailey Smith. It is basically ego.
    $300k isn't insignificant. I mean... it's actually quite a bit given footy careers aren't forever. Given the short time they play, and reality is most players get 1, maybe 2 contracts where they're "prime", it actually makes more sense for a footballer to move jobs because of money than it does for the general public. And I'm sure a lot of people move for $50k extra in the pocket each year.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd move for an additional $300K over five or six years. That's your ticket to a second house right there.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'd move for an additional $300K over five or six years. That's your ticket to a second house right there.
    I’d consider joining Bomberblitz for $300,000. I’d probably knock it back, you know being Essendon and all, but in times of falling stocks and property prices, the $300,000 invested for the long term will be even more comfort for life after footy.

I’d love to know if Dunkley told the club the Brisbane offer of extra cash, and if asked the club to match it.

24. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Or loads of overseas holidays ��