Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Not sure how we fix that and perhaps the redevelopment of the WO might help.
    I've posted on this point before.

I think choosing a 'lane' and sticking to it would really help with regards to club facilities.

You can't have 'everthing'. Well, West Coast can. And Adelaide can. But not too many others. The 'big' Melbourne clubs (except Essendon) are space restricted due to their location/age of their facilities...us? We're in the western suburbs and whilst I would happily argue the merits of living on 'this side' of the city, reality is most Melbourne based recruits are 'from' the other side of the city...so they prob want to live there which makes the commute a challenge etc.

Choose a lane. Over invest in one thing. Medical, rehab (cryo etc), whatever...make 'something' we do best of breed WITHOUT question. Give players a really compelling reason to select 'US'. You wont get everyone, but if you are trying to compete against Collingwood in every category and they have the "Well, we play in front of 80K + 6x per year minimum" card in their back-pocket...we are going to lose.

Other than that, you are left trying to overpay to attract/retain talent and it is never going to work.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Not guys in their prime are they .
    Lobb is definitely in his prime. Just had a ripping season.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I think choosing a 'lane' and sticking to it would really help with regards to club facilities.

You can't have 'everthing'. Well, West Coast can. And Adelaide can. But not too many others. The 'big' Melbourne clubs (except Essendon) are space restricted due to their location/age of their facilities...us? We're in the western suburbs and whilst I would happily argue the merits of living on 'this side' of the city, reality is most Melbourne based recruits are 'from' the other side of the city...so they prob want to live there which makes the commute a challenge etc.

Choose a lane. Over invest in one thing. Medical, rehab (cryo etc), whatever...make 'something' we do best of breed WITHOUT question. Give players a really compelling reason to select 'US'. You wont get everyone, but if you are trying to compete against Collingwood in every category and they have the "Well, we play in front of 80K + 6x per year minimum" card in their back-pocket...we are going to lose.

Other than that, you are left trying to overpay to attract/retain talent and it is never going to work.
    Rayner is a westie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I don’t see how Brisbane have the capital available after trading pick 15 for a future second rounder. If Taranto is worth two single digit picks, Dunkley is worth much more. Let it go to the pre … our contract is still on the table Josh. You’re welcome to stay.
    Taranto went for 12 & 19, neither were single digit picks.
    There might have been a bit of buttering up GWS for a Hopper deal too.

I don't think we're in a good position with Dunkley. a F1 and two seconds is all we can really push for now
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Sports science - VU partnership.
    For mine it's a pretty easy decision. They saved Wood's career at one point
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes azabob, josie, F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

"We have been trying to split some picks the last few days and now we will probably focus first on the Gunston deal and if we can get some more picks we can start working on the Dunkley deal."

- Danny Daly on what deal goes first...
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

8. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

"We have been trying to split some picks the last few days and now we will probably focus first on the Gunston deal and if we can get some more picks we can start working on the Dunkley deal."

Nice. Thanks Dunks.

Post Thanks / Like

It is quite obvious when you say it like that.

What lane would you chose?

The example you put was medical; surely that is the area we need to focus on? We have connection with a university and their sports science areas.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

Sounds very odd.

This is what ex dog recruiter (now at Brisbane) said last night

A key piece of Brisbane’s trade period puzzle is that of Western Bulldogs best and fairest winner Josh Dunkley, who has requested a trade to the Lions.

Ambrogio is confident a deal will be done with the Dogs in due course.

“We’re rapt that Josh is keen to come to Brisbane,” Ambrogio said.

“It’s always nice when a player of Josh’s quality is so determined to become a Lion.

“We respect the Bulldogs greatly so we’re not keen to have the negotiations with them played out in public.

“But we’re very confident and we’ll keep working together to land on a fair outcome in the timeframe we need to.”
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a bit of research on how smaller teams like us compete in professional sports competitions and especially to attract players and what you have detailed is what a lot of them endeavor to do. Some go for an outstanding club rooms, gyms and medical facilities but the key difference is that they are often playing and training out of their own stadiums.

As you have highlighted we won't win as many players over as we would like with having a nice facility but having a clear point of difference or two could be the best approach.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

Lol. We'll be feasting on their scraps then hey.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to have worked for Brisbane having the 'we will fix your broken bodies with our warm sunlight' or whatever they do.

Post Thanks / Like

AFL Trade Radio

@traderadio

Seems logical and they understand that they need more picks for us.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great post mjp.

Is there any way we can try to copy Geelong's model with GMHBA Stadium by trying to upgrade WO to a point where we can at least play SOME games there? i.e. vs Gold Coast, GWS, Tas?, Freo....

I know that's a long shot, but if we went back 10-15 years ago WO was a pit and never to be used for anything other than training. Things change.

If we could couple that with what mjp mentioned above about being the 'best' at something, maybe we bridge the gap and carve out a niche position in the competition.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Edmund is reporting that there is a real standoff between Ambrogio and Power and given the trades yesterday there has been no progress made.
    Power said to be considering not doing a trade with Lions.

We were reluctantly resigned to losing him for the two first rounders this year and next but the Lions wanted our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year back in that scenario.

More to play out here.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Thanks F'scary, lemmon, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life, Happy Days liked this post