Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Veale Deal II

North get Pick 8 (in part) for JHF

North send us Tarryn Thomas (with some wage covered) and Pick 8.

We send them Lachie Hunter (no salary contributed by us) and Pick 69. No deal on Dunkley under any circumstances.

Dunkley & Hunter with Pick 69 - for - Thomas and Pick 8 (Pick 9 after Ashcroft bid matched), Dogs free up some $800,000 net.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Firstly he had to agree to go to Gold Coast, secondly do they even have the cap space?

If this is true this is a disaster. To lose Dunkley for nothing would be an absolute disgrace
    They're certainly more comfortable moving on players, so maybe there's a player swap there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    If they involve a player Lohman looks a more likely target. I could live with a future first, Lohman and a second or future second.
    Seems reasonable but will depend on how we rated Lohmann last year because if he was someone we thought as a top 20 player it then makes sense.

Would upgrading our pick 30 (TY) to their pick 21 (TY) plus their 1st and 2nd for Dunkley be acceptable for us?

Post Thanks / Like

Still almost certain a deal gets done, but this just again highlights that Josh Dunkley's decision making is questionable at best.

He's chosen the worst club to go to given their situation/commitment to F/S prospects - regardless of any promises Brisbane have made. His manager is to blame, too.

The more I think about it, the more I absolutely despise the AFL trading system. You should be able to nominate a state, and have a preference of a club, but that's it.

There's still a lot of ways this trade gets done but it looks likely to need the involvement of other clubs.

If it's a pure Brisbane/Dogs deal, we should be looking at something like 2022 R2 (early pick), 2023 FR and Lohmann/Wilmott.
    W00F!

5. Likes josie, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    A great man already floated this idea and got no traction.
    I don't recall doing that. Credit where it's due though thanks EW.

7. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Any chance Dunkley just signs on for next year with us.

He then gets to be the prime free agent for 2023 and lots of Brand Dunkley exposure.
    I think the door might be slightly ajar on that.
    If Dunks manager contacts Brisbane and tells them to get real or we will renegotiate with the Dogs it will prick their ears up.
    We might even let them know late in the piece we are bidding on Fletcher (who is a good player anyway) with pick 12.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Seems reasonable but will depend on how we rated Lohmann last year because if he was someone we thought as a top 20 player it then makes sense.

Would upgrading our pick 30 (TY) to their pick 21 (TY) plus their 1st and 2nd for Dunkley be acceptable for us?
    If Freo would accept Pick 21 for Lobb in a straight trade. They lose 260 odd draft points. Could throw back Pick 69 to give them 50 to offset it.

Lobb, Future 1st & Future Second - for Dunkley and Pick 30 - would be something nearer a neutral/fair outcome is pushed came to shove.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the door might be slightly ajar on that.
    If Dunks manager contacts Brisbane and tells them to get real or we will renegotiate with the Dogs it will prick their ears up.
    We might even let them know late in the piece we are bidding on Fletcher (who is a good player anyway) with pick 12.
    I can't see it.

How would he be able to come back after that farewell at the B and F.

It's just nuts this whole thing, he doesn't want to be with us we need to move him on IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Still almost certain a deal gets done, but this just again highlights that Josh Dunkley's decision making is questionable at best.

He's chosen the worst club to go to given their situation/commitment to F/S prospects - regardless of any promises Brisbane have made. His manager is to blame, too.

The more I think about it, the more I absolutely despise the AFL trading system. You should be able to nominate a state, and have a preference of a club, but that's it.

There's still a lot of ways this trade gets done but it looks likely to need the involvement of other clubs.

If it's a pure Brisbane/Dogs deal, we should be looking at something like 2022 R2 (early pick), 2023 FR and Lohmann/Wilmott.
    I agree but AFLPA won't so to keep them happy you'd probably need to add in that the need to meet certain contract terms. Might result in being able to price clubs out and force single club negotiations but it does at least remove some systemic advantage for certain clubs. Contracts shouldn't be renegotiable either.

Maybe Geelong will find a way around it by having everyone on cheap contracts, setting up existing players with sponsorship deals and overpaying for recruits.

13. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    I can't see it.

How would he be able to come back after that farewell at the B and F.

It's just nuts this whole thing, he doesn't want to be with us we need to move him on IMO.
    It's why I said slightly ajar but if he and his manager look at this in a fair minded way (perhaps wishing for a lot) they should be disappointed in Brisbane's endeavor so far that could potentially see Dunkley running the gauntlet in the PSD.

His manager fixes this quickly by saying to them "get serious or get *!*!*!*!ed"
    Brisbane's attitude would quickly change.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Thanks Stevo thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

This is bigger than just losing *A* player. Players are replaceable; being a walkover in negotiation is otherwise difficult to overcome now and into the future. If we bend to Brisbane, every other club in the league takes note. This is how reputations are formed - if clubs can underpay, they will underpay. If they know they can't, they're more inclined to just get the deal done.

I've read a few times on here that we should just accept the best offer Brisbane provide us. That's pitiful negotiation; you should ONLY accept what you WANT to accept, and what you deem is fair and equitable.

Otherwise, what's stopping them offering a second round pick and saying that's all we can do given our hands are tied? We should take it because Dunkley doesn't want to be here?

As long as we are being reasonable in our requests, we should absolutely hold Brisbane accountable and be willing to walk away.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

This is bigger than just losing *A* player. Players are replaceable; being a walkover in negotiation is otherwise difficult to overcome now and into the future. If we bend to Brisbane, every other club in the league takes note. This is how reputations are formed - if clubs can underpay, they will underpay. If they know they can't, they're more inclined to just get the deal done.

I've read a few times on here that we should just accept the best offer Brisbane provide us. That's pitiful negotiation; you should ONLY accept what you WANT to accept, and what you deem is fair and equitable.

Otherwise, what's stopping them offering a second round pick and saying that's all we can do given our hands are tied? We should take it because Dunkley doesn't want to be here?

As long as we are being reasonable in our requests, we should absolutely hold Brisbane accountable and be willing to walk away.
    100%.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If Freo would accept Pick 21 for Lobb in a straight trade. They lose 260 odd draft points. Could throw back Pick 69 to give them 50 to offset it.

Lobb, Future 1st & Future Second - for Dunkley and Pick 30 - would be something nearer a neutral/fair outcome is pushed came to shove.
    Brilliant summary. Thanks Bulldogtragic. Pick 21 for Lobb should interest Fremantle

19. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if Lions are just playing a game and trying it on, but their complete incompetence is mind boggling. They traded out pick 15 yesterday with the knowledge they should have given that to us.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. The only way now is they have to trade out someone good and either we are interested, or they open the market and get back a pick in first round.

I am sure Power and the club are not going to bend on this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Dunkley was going to an also-ran, I'd look to deal for unders.

For a side that will legitimately challenge next year? We absolutely should hold firm.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers