Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Would they let a good one go? They can more easily cover a mid or forward.
    They do have a few talls down back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel like Payne is the answer.

3. Likes azabob, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Who fits the players ‘bulldogs consider a first round value’? That’s actually addresses a need?

If Robertson isn’t likely to go to Victoria, and Wilmott is not interested. Can’t see decent KPP’s they’d trade.

So surplus to need, and something to our needs:

Rayner obviously. The other maybe Lohmann who was selected end of first round last? (Arguably still holding first round value) A Ballarat boy who doesn’t appear to have extended his contract with other draftees earlier this year, including Wilmott. Would he pair well with Weightman?
    A good suggestion but a quick web search on him will show you he's probably going to want to get some of that love he got in his debut. For some reason it was a massive deal on TV when it happened.

Outside of a general view that anyone who improves our list should be on our radar at all times (you know, not letting perfection get in the way of improvement) a pairing with Weightman (who I really rate) should be someone with more ground nous and less prone to getting involved in aerial contests.

We seem allergic to recruiting who we need in that area of the ground when we should with later/ rookie picks.

Rayner's the guy. If you were going to pick someone who isn't the above to pair with Weightman and take some turns up the ground then he's the one you want. I was hoping to find a forward that was a bit more dangerous in the air and mobile as well, but that forward doesn't seem to be on the market (outside of shithead Greene - who isn't on the market but would be at $950k over five).

Weightman is usually our only true forward outside of JUH and Bruce when he is in form (he's a true galoot when not in form, thus won't be counted as a true forward!), another actual forward whatever the size would be awesome.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    That depends on what is the question? Like “do you have any kinks?” Pain would be a legitimate answer
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    That depends on what is the question? Like “do you have any kinks?” Pain would be a legitimate answer
    Sick answer without context.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

7. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

New thread title?

9. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Payne is Cordy Mk2.

His disposal will give you that coronary you’ve always wanted.

Hard pass.

11. Likes EasternWest, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying very hard to reserve judgement until the conclusion of the trade period but it is difficult trying to envision what Brisbane is going to do to get this deal done.

My frustration stems from the fact that Brisbane clearly rate Dunkley based on both the length and value of contract they've offered him. The onus is on Brisbane to get the deal done. I don't understand how they intend to get the deal done while they are unwilling to provide a player from their best 22 or adequate draft compensation in two first rounders.

13. Likes GVGjr, Mofra, Grantysghost, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Rayner will be playing in the RWB next season. I reckon they are quietly willing to trade Rayner. Why come out publicly and say he's not going anywhere? There is no need to do that, he hasn't asked to be traded. I think they said that because if Rayner finds out that they may have offered him up and a deal can't be made he gets disgruntled. Come out publicly like they did and he feels like he's a required player, no harm done.

With no player involved this deal won't get done unless we roll over
    That, or we've asked for him as some rumours suggest
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes Swoop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying very hard to reserve judgement until the conclusion of the trade period but it is difficult trying to envision what Brisbane is going to do to get this deal done.

My frustration stems from the fact that Brisbane clearly rate Dunkley based on both the length and value of contract they've offered him. The onus is on Brisbane to get the deal done. I don't understand how they intend to get the deal done while they are unwilling to provide a player from their best 22 or adequate draft compensation in two first rounders.
    My guess is they don't expect us to let him walk to the PSD, and the fact he's out of contract and we care for him will mean that in the end we will have to accept less than we want. So they know that part.

So do we, hence using the media last night to say guess what we will let him walk to the PSD.

So now ridiculously in my opinion it's down to a game of poker. Surely there's an easier way.

I'm with the Lions, they have the stronger hand, there's no way we walk away with nothing and players never change nominated club (or very very rarely) it happens 99 percent of the time.

It's interesting, also slightly juvenile.

Post Thanks / Like

Catching up on this thread, and its awesome to see so many posts from WOOFer's out there we've not heard from in a while. Great to see some familiar faces posting again!

It's nice to see that out of the ashes of Dunk's likely imminent and likely messy departure we can all convene around the fire, once more to converse about all things Bulldogs.

Hunker down for what is likely to be a very interesting and stressful trade and draft period.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    My guess is they don't expect us to let him walk to the PSD, and the fact he's out of contract and we care for him will mean that in the end we will have to accept less than we want. So they know that part.

So do we, hence using the media last night to say guess what we will let him walk to the PSD.

So now ridiculously in my opinion it's down to a game of poker. Surely there's an easier way.

I'm with the Lions, they have the stronger hand, there's no way we walk away with nothing and players never change nominated club (or very very rarely) it happens 99 percent of the time.

It's interesting, also slightly juvenile.
    I hear what you're saying GG, but I kinda think Josh has shown himself to be quite transactional. I don't think it's beyond the pale for him to get to a point where he should the trade not resolve, he'd be fine signing up for a year with us and then working to get his way to Brisbane as a restricted free agent at the end of 2023.

From what we have seen to date, there doesn't appear to be any burned bridges between Dunks and the club. And similarly when he couldn't get to Essendon he didn't throw his toys out of the cot.

I'm not trying to find ways to get him to stay with us. He clearly wants to leave, I get it. Yep let's work out a deal. But I don't think Brisbane have quite the same amount of leverage as you think.

Dunkley now knows that Brisbane thought that much of him that they were prepared to offer him a huge contract, but yet not enough to adequately prepare the likely capital to secure him.

The offer that Brisbane put up was an ambit claim and their subsequent trading of pick 15, reinforces to Dunkley that they are prepared to screw him if push comes to shove.

I think we need to be clear in our intent that we will either walk him to the draft and either let a non-challenger with cap space take him.. or we'll pick him ourself before Brisbane's pick.

Do we want to do that. Nope. Are we prepared to. I hope so. And given Brisbane's behaviour I therefore don't think Pickering and Dunkley at some point might be open to a 1 yr deal and then Dunkley can better determine his own future at the end of 2023 with much less intrigue, drama and uncertainty than the last two times he's wanted to move.

And given he'd be restricted, we too would have some surety of getting closer to market value compensation either via trade or FA compensation.

19. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about what YHF and GVGjr have said that a one year of Dunkley would be fine and we pickup something end of next year. I would rather we just get a deal done, and if we don't get what we want then let him go to PSD. He has said his goodbye's and I have wiped him as a Dogs player (still a BullGod).

So, Brisbane stop being unprofessional, and get the deal done, and Pony up.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

21. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

It sounded more like Pickering's frustration than the Bulldogs doing
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

23. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If Henry is worth pick 18 then of course we aren't doing Dunkley for a small upgrade of a pick

25. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post