Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Oh, and Pickering says the reason Dunkley is leaving because he wants to live in QLD. Last time I checked, the Gold Coast was in Queensland...

Perhaps this should be the compromise to allow Dunkley to move to QLD and for us to get a fair return.
    GC don't have the cap space
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He sounds like the Brisbane Footy Manager trotting out those lines abouyt dogs getting nothing and hurting their draft hand if they dont agree to what ever Brisbane offers..
    Well...as a manager he SHOULD be on the side of whatever his client wants - which is to play for Brisbane.

I'm not annoyed with Pickering's take...to me it just seems like he is doing his job. Why SEN give him a media platform to do this from though? THAT I simply cannot answer...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At this point, I'm happy to walk him to the PSD rather than engage with Brisbane's bad faith negotiating tactics. I'd rather ensure they miss him and we get nothing, rather than accept Brisbane's ever shrinking-in-value ultimatums. That only strengthens them and weakens us.

Accepting a laughable deal now would do nothing but confirm that we are absolute pushovers and will continue to cost us a premium in all future negotiations with other clubs down the track.

Brisbane convinced Dunkley to choose them. From that point on Brisbane are accountable for making that deal happen, obviously within commercial reason.

I don't see the Dog's team being unreasonable in their expectations from the sound bites we've heard from Sam Power and the media. Two years ago we were adamant that Essendon needed to cough up 2 high value first round picks. I think the fact that this time round we seemed willing to look at 2 mid to late 1sts highlights Sam and Co understand the changed circumstances and are showing a willingness to negotiate in good faith. It ain't like Sam Power is trying to channel Dodoro here!

Brisbane have a professional responsibility to have prepared for all probable contingencies before securing Josh's agreement to join...especially given their high draft capital father/son commitments. It doesn't look as if they've factored in or prepared for any any other possible scenarios other than the Bulldog's just capitulating.

Indeed it seems Brisbane's strategic planning to secure Josh was based on a a chips all in 'The they'll take what we offer' strategy, and their 'nuanced' plan B was, 'If they refuse Plan A we'll increasingly worsen each offer thereafter until they fold'.
    No flexibility or preparations around what if the Dog's want a player? What if they just say no and he goes to the draft?
    I'm actually surprised a little bit by the arrogance and lack of professionalism from Brisbane on this to be honest. I mean I despise them, but I did think in recent years they actually were fairly professional operators.

Nope. I'd rather risk Dunkley going for nothing and ending up at any of the bottom 8 clubs via the PSD than taking a putrid offer and watching Brisbane get their cake and eat it too.

Now, as for how we got here with Dunkley out of contract, thats on us at the Dog's. I think the club really should've gone into trade period last year and asked Josh to either commit to a new deal at the end of 2021 or else we're happy to help you explore options again. We should never have let him get to an uncontracted position and be forced into playing a stupid game of trade chicken.
    Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 08-10-2022 at 03:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    At this point, I'm happy to walk him to the PSD rather than engage with Brisbane's bad faith negotiating tactics. I'd rather ensure they miss him and we get nothing, rather than accept Brisbane's ever shrinking-in-value ultimatums. That only strengthens them and weakens us.

Accepting a laughable deal now would do nothing but confirm that we are absolute pushovers and will continue to cost us a premium in all future negotiations with other clubs down the track.

Brisbane convinced Dunkley to choose them. From that point on Brisbane are accountable for making that deal happen, obviously within commercial reason.

I don't see the Dog's team being unreasonable in their expectations from the sound bites we've heard from Sam Power and the media. Two years ago we were adamant that Essendon needed to cough up 2 high value first round picks. I think the fact that this time round we seemed willing to look at 2 mid to late 1sts highlights Sam and Co understand the changed circumstances and are showing a willingness to negotiate in good faith. It ain't like Sam Power is trying to channel Dodoro here!

Brisbane have a professional responsibility to have prepared for all probable contingencies before securing Josh's agreement to join...especially given their high draft capital father/son commitments. It doesn't look as if they've factored in or prepared for any any other possible scenarios other than the Bulldog's just capitulating.

Indeed it seems Brisbane's strategic planning to secure Josh was based on a a chips all in 'The they'll take what we offer' strategy, and their 'nuanced' plan B was, 'If they refuse Plan A we'll increasingly worsen each offer thereafter until they fold'.
    No flexibility or preparations around what if the Dog's want a player? What if they just say no and he goes to the draft?
    I'm actually surprised a little bit by the arrogance and lack of professionalism from Brisbane on this to be honest. I mean I despise them, but I did think in recent years they actually were fairly professional operators.

Nope. I'd rather risk Dunkley going for nothing and ending up at any of the bottom 8 clubs via the PSD than taking a putrid offer and watching Brisbane get their cake and eat it to.

Now, as for how we got here with Dunkley out of contract, thats on us at the Dog's. I think the club really should've gone into trade period last year and asked Josh to either commit to a new deal at the end of 2021 or else we're happy to help you explore options again. We should never have let him get to an uncontracted position and be forced into playing a stupid game of trade chicken.
    From what I read Dunkley had a contract from us in front of him since early this year.

Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yes he was.
    Well then that's the market price. This whole nominate a club thing is bs. You want to live in a certain state then maybe look for another profession.

9. Likes Grantysghost, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Well...as a manager he SHOULD be on the side of whatever his client wants - which is to play for Brisbane.

I'm not annoyed with Pickering's take...to me it just seems like he is doing his job. Why SEN give him a media platform to do this from though? THAT I simply cannot answer...
    It's a regular show they have on Saturday mornings here MJP.
    Hutchy owns SEN and "Pickers" is his best mate.
    You're right he should be looking after his client but I personally think choosing the Lions in the first place or leading him to believe they were an option was an error on his part.

11. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Well then that's the market price. This whole nominate a club thing is bs. You want to live in a certain state then maybe look for another profession.
    100%.

It won't happen, given how strong the player's union is, but I think the whole imbalance of power in trading needs to be addressed, so we avoid these silly theatrics and posturing.

Players have way too much control which reduces a club to having to resort to threats of 'sending the player to the PSD draft.' as their only negotiation lever when faced with a player who wants to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

You could genuinely hear the panic in Pickering's voice. You could tell the entire interview was staged to make us look unreasonable, even to the point of Hutchy chiming in with the "why does he want to leave the Bulldogs" questions that were left unanswered but clearly had an inference.

As for Johno, what is he, a self hating Bulldog? Scared for us to hold our ground because he's used to losing and being beaten up. He's probably just trying to be impartial, I guess.

This is entirely on Brisbane, as Purps laid out really well a few posts above, they've not thought this through outside of screwing us and possibly their targeted player.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes EasternWest, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fancy having the temerity, the absolute cheek, to expect fair compensation when another mob comes for your best and fairest winner entering the prime of his career.

There's this asinine subtext that because Dunkley's driven his departure we're not entitled to seek what he's actually worth and should just get on with the business of making rivals better.

It's the same dipshits who'll be lining up to pin a blue ribbon on Brisbane for winning trade week by poaching Dunkley for a relative song.

I really hope we're not bluffing with the PSD threat because it'd warm the heart watching him be the big dog down at Arden Street.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes jeemak, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Players have way too much control which reduces a club to having to resort to threats of 'sending the player to the PSD draft.' as their only negotiation lever when faced with a player who wants to leave.
    It's not really a lever. They could make it a lever (of sorts) by providing 'free agent' style compensation to any club losing an out of contract player in the PSD. I actually don't understand how you can receive a 'guarantee' of compensation if you lose a Free Agent (who has done their 7 years or whatever) but NO compensation if you lose a player who is out of contract. Setting Dunkley aside, if Tanner Bruhn had wanted to go to North, they could have simply 'walked him' to the PSD and GWS would have received nothing...THAT right now seems really stupid.

And no matter that we don't/can't understand how the AFL work out the compensation for free-agents, it seems completely un-reasonable right now that Dunks could go to NM or Port or to whoever wants to pick him and we receive ZERO when (from my obviously biased perspective) we have done everything RIGHT in these negotiations.

Brisbane saying 'that's all we've got - bad luck' is not a trade position...I can't go to the Range Rover dealership (sorry - not a car person and don't know if this example holds) and demand a car on the basis that I 'WANT IT' and it 'FITS MY NEEDS' but not have enough money to match the number on the sticker...they will send me next door to the 2nd hand car shop...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

So what’s our best result from this? Pick 21 and a future first if Brisbane drop their request for more picks coming back from us? No chance of a player being involved this late with medicals etc.

I’m usually pretty pragmatic with this stuff but finding this hard to swallow. It is very tempting to send him into the draft but I do think we will take the two picks in the end. Is the consensus that we then use 21 for Lobb?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    You could genuinely hear the panic in Pickering's voice. You could tell the entire interview was staged to make us look unreasonable, even to the point of Hutchy chiming in with the "why does he want to leave the Bulldogs" questions that were left unanswered but clearly had an inference.

As for Johno, what is he, a self hating Bulldog? Scared for us to hold our ground because he's used to losing and being beaten up. He's probably just trying to be impartial, I guess.

This is entirely on Brisbane, as Purps laid out really well a few posts above, they've not thought this through outside of screwing us and possibly their targeted player.
    I actually didn't take Johnno's remarks as anti-Bulldog position. I think his response just articulated, in Johnno's usual inarticulate way, what the options were and that it would be a shame if the Dog's got nothing for him, but that he's coming around to that being a likely scenario.
    If anything I think Johnno is slightly lobbying for us by trying to insinuate to Brisbane in a public forum that 'Sam Power just might do it.. he'll let him walk to the draft; he's a cold-ass honky.'

20. Likes bulldogtragic, josie, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually didn't take Johnno's remarks as anti-Bulldog position. I think his response just articulated, in Johnno's usual inarticulate way, what the options were and that it would be a shame if the Dog's got nothing for him, but that he's coming around to that being a likely scenario.
    If anything I think Johnno is slightly lobbying for us by trying to insinuate to Brisbane in a public forum that 'Sam Power just might do it.. he'll let him walk to the draft; he's a cold-ass honky.'
    That was take away too fwiw.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That was take away too fwiw.
    Nets for both of you.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

23. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post