Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

So Brisbane are offering 21 and future first for Dunks and our pick 39.

I so want future trade periods to only be 5 days. 10 days is mind numbingly torturous.

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    So Brisbane are offering 21 and future first for Dunks and our pick 39.

I so want future trade periods to only be 5 days. 10 days is mind numbingly torturous.
    Sure if they add a player. Between Rayner and Lohmann. They actually don’t need either. They just want to keep all their toys while toys off the other kids. Time to teach them manners.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The fact we ask for 2 first rounders and the best they can do is 21, future 1st (which would be 18) and we send them Dunkley and 39, is farcical.
    Send him to the PSD. If I was Power, tomorrow morning at 10am id get on trade radio and announce we will not be dealing with Bris.
    Get on the front foot….why weigh it out til 5pm.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    The fact we ask for 2 first rounders and the best they can do is 21, future 1st (which would be 18) and we send them Dunkley and 39, is farcical.
    Send him to the PSD. If I was Power, tomorrow morning at 10am id get on trade radio and announce we will not be dealing with Bris.
    I like your style DG.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

It's disheartening at the moment but I continue to wait for tomorrow night hoping we somehow come through the otherside true to our word.

7. Likes Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    It's disheartening at the moment but I continue to wait for tomorrow night hoping we somehow come through the otherside true to our word.
    Swoop just think about what Naughty, Marra and Darcy will do to opposition defences in the coming years. How many first rounders combined would those three be worth? Plenty of things to like at the Kennel.

9. Likes Swoop, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    A deep dive on the opposition strategy and landscape.

They have EIGHT picks with decent draft points (not including Pick 73 which has only 9 Points). Remembering they can only use the Draft Points for the amount of picks commensurate to the amount if list spots they have open. A ban on 'hidden points' was in several years ago, but temporarily lifted for us with Marra. Assuming the AFEL don't waiver, Brisbane need EIGHT spots as a starting position.

So they need 8 List Spots opened up to take all the draft points in. Assuming they move a pick for Gunston this year. Then they need SEVEN vacancies to use all the 7 Draft Picks or lose the draft points.

They have let go Berry, McStay, Robinson and Smith off their primary list. That's THREE more vacancies needed to use all the picks. (Cox and Uosis are rookies)

But they've brought in TWO player potentially, in Gunston & Dunkley. So they only have TWO 'net' vacancies opened up from their Primary List. So they are short FIVE list spots to use all picks/points.

They trade out Mathieson. They are now FOUR spots short of their Draft Picks/Points.

They have enough capital now for Gunston, Ashcroft & Fletcher so trading out Pick 21 with the most amount of Draft Points is a gamble for them. So for the sake of discussion, I will assume the most they could do is upgrade our 30 for 21, but not give the second rounder this year up altogether.

So they need to move on FOUR more players, or perhaps cut three more and trade another one. They need to cut their list further, or, it could make sense to include a player into a possible Dunkley trade. This option, means Brisbane Lions secure all of Dunkley, Gunston, Ashcroft & Fletcher. While they only trade out their Future First. Meaning for 2023 they still have 2 x Future Seconds, 1 Future Third and 2 x Future Fourths. So their 2023 Draft Hand is also very strong. That's an outstanding return for Brisbane and get all four targets this year, and still have 5 picks next year in the bag already without anything for Mathieson included.

So from an overall perspective by adding a player of first round value to the trade, they free up another list spot to help bring in all their good draft point picks, secure Dunkley, Gunston, Ashcroft & Fletcher and maintain 5+ Picks in the 2023 National Draft.

So you can make a case that Brisbane should look at including a player to trade us (of first round value) for numerous reasons, unless they are really going to cut deep into their list. I can only really see Rayner or potentially at a push Lohmann as potential candidates.

If I were Brisbane, i'd look at a player that is surplus to need and at a high-ish current value. Would Ballarat kid Lohmann taken at the end of the First Round last year suffice us if we can't get Rayner? Perhaps with a draft point trade of 30 & 39 for 21 & 55 (or 48 if not used on Guhnston). Then trading Pick 21 to Freo for Lobb with a Future Third coming back.

The end result of this period possibly:

2022: Pick 11, 48 or 55, 69 (or a rookie upgrade from Scott, McNeil, Sweet or Roarke most likely) - & - Jones (Mature KPD), Lobb (Mature KPF/2nd Ruck), Lohmann (small forward in his second year), with sizeable salary cap opened up, and one rookie draft pick or two if Parker isn't re-contracted - OUT: Dunkley, Cordy, and four others off the primary list with four being uncontracted in Schache, Wallis, Martin & Butler. An extra might be Hunter if that eventuates.

2023: First Round x 2, Second Round, Third Round x 2, Fourth Round

To me, Brisbane 'win', Freo 'win', and we secure a mature KPF/2nd Ruck (who kicked 36 goals this year), Small Forward taken from last years First Round (from Ballarat and a future ambassador to be the 'blonde twins' with Weightman) and another 2023 First Rounder as compensation for Dunkley. All assuming we can't use money to pry Rayner out. While having some money to a raid a Free Agent in 2023.

Does this work for you?

Math as it stands:

Lions Current Draft Points: 878, 543, 522, 502, 465, 302, 207, 194 = 3,613 Points

Say Gunston trade for Pick 48, meaning subtract 302 DPS:

3,311 - Draft Points
    -2,400 - Ashcroft
    ------
    911 - Draft Points - Fletcher as high as Pick 14 without deficit
    Bump. They traded the 48 for Gunston. Lions are set for Ashcroft & Fletcher.

They still have to clear five players off their list if they secure Dunkley, as Mathieson remains. It’s unlikely a player trade happens, but it seems like an obvious ‘two birds, one stone’ outcome to trade a player to secure the trade and open a spot up to use all their points.

They can offer a Future First & Future Second (Tied to Geelong, circa pick 40) for Dunkley, and add a loose ‘player of first round value’ like a Lohmann. While holding 2023 Second, Third & Fourths.

Is a future pick 40 and a kid who they can easily cover really worth the risk of losing Dunkley and their ‘premiership dream’? Unless our player demand was ‘Rayner and only Rayner’, I don’t get their stubbornness.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Swoop, jeemak, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe they haven't managed to get Mathieson involved in some sort of trade.....he's awesome.

Really, if you can think about how out of their depth they are you only need to look at that.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    I’ve got bad news for you my friend, trade period ends at 7.30pm!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

15. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I can't believe they haven't managed to get Mathieson involved in some sort of trade.....he's awesome.

Really, if you can think about how out of their depth they are you only need to look at that.
    I can’t believe we’ve come this far and your struggling to finish this for a second time.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

17. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    20 hours, 1 minute to deadline!

19. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Bro don't act like if had Rhys "Beast Mode" "Sheer Force" "No Love" "The Pitbull" "Iron" "The Real Deal" "One Touch Bingo" Mathieson on our list that he wouldn't be mine and yours and everyone's favourite player.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

21. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah that’s right. TV viewing at its best.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t believe we’ve come this far and your struggling to finish this for a second time.
    The cosmos is working against me.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the blue pill Jeemak!!!

25. Likes azabob, josie, Bulldog4life liked this post