Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 25 of 263 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd expect a better article than how this reads from Ralphy but lets assume an offer has been made. Dunkley's only bone of contention might be that he is missing time in the midfield and doing a bit of ruck work. That is an easy remedy for us if we are keen to keep him at the club. Two years to run on a contract is an easy option for us to insist on him meeting.

Too many things are in the positive column for us for me to get concerned
    Not sure it is that easy to fix with how stubborn Bevo is.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a massive opportunity for the club to secure a player of need and go some way to balancing out our list. Dunks is a good inside player but he's slow and can't kick and we have a better version in Jack Macrae. If the Bombers want to pay that and prise out an AA, premiership, contracted player then we have just won Tattslotto in terms of the expected return.

We must gun hard for Papley. I don't think we'll stuff this one up.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 25-10-2020 at 10:23 AM.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'd take Tippa this year, but wouldn't want picks because they'd get soaked up in the JUH drafting. We need players and Tippa's a good start, but given Dunkley's contracted then and they're apparently offering him elite money then more would need to be done.
    Hopefully we can use the pick to target an elite key position player this year. We have West to stand in for Dunkley. This will fast track his development no end. Better skills as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As much as I rate him that would be a ridiculous pay level for Dunkley.

Journo speculation for sure
    they have plenty of room in salary cap and will no doubt load it up front.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward, how long do we expect Libba to have left? Two years maybe three? Just as Dunks will be coming into his prime Tom will be winding up. I'm concerned we will rue this decision in a couple of years if he leaves. West is a good prospect but we don't know if he will reach those levels.
    Bloody Essendon p1ss off!

7. Likes Bulldog4life, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Looking forward, how long do we expect Libba to have left? Two years maybe three? Just as Dunks will be coming into his prime Tom will be winding up. I'm concerned we will rue this decision in a couple of years if he leaves. West is a good prospect but we don't know if he will reach those levels.
    Bloody Essendon p1ss off!
    Would be very surprised if West does not become elite.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    He's got the pedigree doesnt he
    However a bird in the hand and all that....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bullies View Post
    Let’s hope he gets the opportunity to become that elite mid by actually playing in the midfield and not a fwd pocket lol
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Came across the article below from Dunkley earlie this year which is interesting reading in the context of these developments. Things do change as MJP pointed out earlier in the thread - though reading this it feels like any change would be made for financial reasons.

Also - a deal I could live with would be Dunkley to Dons, Daniher to Lions and McCluggage to Dogs.

https://www.exclusiveinsight.com/jos...yed-a-bulldog/

The Day Luke Beveridge stayed a Bulldog
    MARCH 26, 2020|IN SPORT|BY JOSH DUNKLEY
    When the rumours surfaced last year that ‘Bevo’ was being poached by a rival AFL club, none of us wanted to even imagine what it would be like to not have him as our senior coach anymore.

Personally, I suppose at the back of my mind, I kind of expected that Bevo’s name would get mentioned at some stage as there were a number of senior coaching vacancies in the game during the middle of last season and any AFL club would be silly not to ask the question to him.

I’m obviously conflicted in my opinion, but in my eyes he is the best coach in the game.

Clearly, news and rumours travel fast in our game and he made it a point during one of our team meetings, to address what many of us were hearing from various people around the league.

‘Bevo’ couldn’t have been any more emphatic in his message: “Boys, don’t believe a word of it. I’m not going anywhere,” he asserted.

Excluding draft day, making my debut for the club and winning the 2016 premiership alongside my Bulldogs brothers, that team meeting marks one of my favourite days in footy.

Hearing ‘Bevo’ talk so passionately about his reasons for wanting to stay and reiterating the significance of what we are in the process of building at ‘The Kennel’, made me fall in love with the club all over again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B93o3tggLE0/
    Anyone who is involved at a footy club, be it grassroots, amateur or at AFL level, know there are people who, without necessarily their desire in doing so, become the fabric and backbone of your organisation.

It is no secret that ‘Bevo’ has become that person for us.

Throughout the various levels that I have played this great game, I’ve never met or come across anybody who remotely resembles Luke Beveridge.

His approach to coaching and leadership is unlike anything I have ever seen before; ‘Bevo’ is a relationships man and while it isn’t the norm to do so, he prioritises you as a “person” over you as the “footballer”, which in essence only makes you want to play even harder for him.

Despite being at the club for five years now, I still haven’t quite worked out just how he does it.

Marcus Bontempelli is probably my closest mate at the club and we speak on it all the time, the influence and belief he is able to instill in his team of 22 each week.

I reckon, what ‘Bevo’ worked out a long time ago was the influence he could actually have on the playing group, away from the training facility.

I’ve personally enjoyed all the coffees that he and I have shared together, even just in my short time in the game. We’ve had conversations on end, with many of them being totally non-footy related.

During the summer of 2018, I remember sitting down with him in his office and discussing the midfield role that he saw me playing in 2019.

Obviously, prior to that, my primary position was playing as a high half-forward, having the ability to move up the ground but having more of a focus on forward pressure and creating scoring opportunities.

I was fairly confident that I could make the transition and compliment the likes of Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter and of course Marcus around the stoppages.

But having Bevo in my ear, he really helped me understand how I could focus on my own game and in doing so benefit the team as a whole.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1AwqrPAznC/
    He has a great way of conveying to us the importance of performing our role for the team, while also not holding back on the team through hesitation or fear of messing up team structures.

It isn’t so much confidence, but rather trust that he has for us, as it relates to how he wants us to play the game.

I certainly know that approach and style helped me become the footballer I am today.

It’s why I wouldn’t want to play for anyone else and am glad that for the foreseeable future I won’t be.

I honestly believe that in 50 years from now, the Western Bulldogs fraternity will look back and celebrate ‘Bevo’ as being one of the greatest figures in the club’s history.

For now, we value what he brings to our football club and certainly don’t take him for granted.

12. Thanks bornadog, azabob, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes GetDimmaBack, Doggy, DOG GOD, Doc26, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    Came across the article below from Dunkley earlie this year which is interesting reading in the context of these developments. Things do change as MJP pointed out earlier in the thread - though reading this it feels like any change would be made for financial reasons.

Also - a deal I could live with would be Dunkley to Dons, Daniher to Lions and McCluggage to Dogs.

https://www.exclusiveinsight.com/jos...yed-a-bulldog/

The Day Luke Beveridge stayed a Bulldog
    MARCH 26, 2020|IN SPORT|BY JOSH DUNKLEY
    When the rumours surfaced last year that ‘Bevo’ was being poached by a rival AFL club, none of us wanted to even imagine what it would be like to not have him as our senior coach anymore.

Personally, I suppose at the back of my mind, I kind of expected that Bevo’s name would get mentioned at some stage as there were a number of senior coaching vacancies in the game during the middle of last season and any AFL club would be silly not to ask the question to him.

I’m obviously conflicted in my opinion, but in my eyes he is the best coach in the game.

Clearly, news and rumours travel fast in our game and he made it a point during one of our team meetings, to address what many of us were hearing from various people around the league.

‘Bevo’ couldn’t have been any more emphatic in his message: “Boys, don’t believe a word of it. I’m not going anywhere,” he asserted.

Excluding draft day, making my debut for the club and winning the 2016 premiership alongside my Bulldogs brothers, that team meeting marks one of my favourite days in footy.

Hearing ‘Bevo’ talk so passionately about his reasons for wanting to stay and reiterating the significance of what we are in the process of building at ‘The Kennel’, made me fall in love with the club all over again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B93o3tggLE0/
    Anyone who is involved at a footy club, be it grassroots, amateur or at AFL level, know there are people who, without necessarily their desire in doing so, become the fabric and backbone of your organisation.

It is no secret that ‘Bevo’ has become that person for us.

Throughout the various levels that I have played this great game, I’ve never met or come across anybody who remotely resembles Luke Beveridge.

His approach to coaching and leadership is unlike anything I have ever seen before; ‘Bevo’ is a relationships man and while it isn’t the norm to do so, he prioritises you as a “person” over you as the “footballer”, which in essence only makes you want to play even harder for him.

Despite being at the club for five years now, I still haven’t quite worked out just how he does it.

Marcus Bontempelli is probably my closest mate at the club and we speak on it all the time, the influence and belief he is able to instill in his team of 22 each week.

I reckon, what ‘Bevo’ worked out a long time ago was the influence he could actually have on the playing group, away from the training facility.

I’ve personally enjoyed all the coffees that he and I have shared together, even just in my short time in the game. We’ve had conversations on end, with many of them being totally non-footy related.

During the summer of 2018, I remember sitting down with him in his office and discussing the midfield role that he saw me playing in 2019.

Obviously, prior to that, my primary position was playing as a high half-forward, having the ability to move up the ground but having more of a focus on forward pressure and creating scoring opportunities.

I was fairly confident that I could make the transition and compliment the likes of Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter and of course Marcus around the stoppages.

But having Bevo in my ear, he really helped me understand how I could focus on my own game and in doing so benefit the team as a whole.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1AwqrPAznC/
    He has a great way of conveying to us the importance of performing our role for the team, while also not holding back on the team through hesitation or fear of messing up team structures.

It isn’t so much confidence, but rather trust that he has for us, as it relates to how he wants us to play the game.

I certainly know that approach and style helped me become the footballer I am today.

It’s why I wouldn’t want to play for anyone else and am glad that for the foreseeable future I won’t be.

I honestly believe that in 50 years from now, the Western Bulldogs fraternity will look back and celebrate ‘Bevo’ as being one of the greatest figures in the club’s history.

For now, we value what he brings to our football club and certainly don’t take him for granted.
    Very telling article, this one.

I've been reflecting on all the media drama happening at present, and here's my take:

A few things don't add up at this stage. Certainly nothing that fits with the above quoted article.

Everyone at the club knows Dunks is Bevo's "pet" - as per the player interview clip on the Dogs website.
    He's tbe Bont's best mate, he's in the leadership group, is popular with everyone. One of the best clubmen, a bloke with genuine integrity. Will probably be our vice captain next year. Was apprently keen on moving Stringer out...

He's not too badly paid, either. He'll also be on more in the future.

Now, according to "those in the know", he's spat it, wants a divorce from Bevo and the playing group, is okay with reuniting with Stringer and wants the money.

The Bombers cheer squad (aka the media) have painted a picture of Dunks that pretty much goes against everything we know about him. Especially when you read the article above.

I'm not saying it's not a real possibility, it's just that at this stage, something's not quite right about all of this.

I hate Illinois Nazis.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about this situation overnight, the AFL needs to do something about player contracts. I just can't agree that players try to break contracts because they have a better offer, or are allowed to break contracts.

Part of me says, the club should just say to Dunks, sorry you have two years left, tough titties, but on the other hand we can take advantage of the situation. However, if we do allow Dunks to leave, the message to the rest of the playing group is they can also take advantage. I have no doubt in my mind that clubs will be coming for Bailey Smith, ala Hawks in the next few years.

Is that what we want in the AFL, players breaking contracts, Free Agents going to top 4 clubs. The whole idea of the AFL was always to even out the competition and that is why we have the draft and salary cap. It seems to me the evenness is slowly eroding away and it is becoming a bit of a free for all.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

BAD makes an excellent point and it's one of the reasons I'm so sure Dunks will be with us next year. If we trade Dunkley then many emerging players like Bailey Smith and Naughton etc can play out the same scenario with us because big money offers will come.

We should all just sit back, take a deep breath and back the club and player to address this at the appropriate time
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes bornadog, Twodogs, GetDimmaBack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent point BAD. Like dominoes.... Could be a fascinating trade period for us. Or a very quiet one. I trust Sam Power and Club to SWOT this & do what in balance is best for our club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not sure it is that easy to fix with how stubborn Bevo is.
    Earlier in the year there was speculation we were going to lose Hunter. Bevo responded that he had become a confidant of Hunter (which I question the logic of a coach getting that involved) so given the way he gets involved with players I doubt he is going to lose a contracted player that he really likes and has championed into a leadership role at the club just over some midfield minutes and ruck work.

He might be stubborn and a bit quirky with some of his views on how the game can be played but he isn't a fool in fact far from it.

A more likely scenario might look like:

Chris Grant "Bevo we will lose Dunkley if you don't stop playing him as a ruckman"
    Bevo "Chris lets get Sammy to tell us how is he going at finding me another option and as a back-up it's going to be Josh Bruce...he owes us something"
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Thinking about this situation overnight, the AFL needs to do something about player contracts. I just can't agree that players try to break contracts because they have a better offer, or are allowed to break contracts.

Part of me says, the club should just say to Dunks, sorry you have two years left, tough titties, but on the other hand we can take advantage of the situation. However, if we do allow Dunks to leave, the message to the rest of the playing group is they can also take advantage. I have no doubt in my mind that clubs will be coming for Bailey Smith, ala Hawks in the next few years.

Is that what we want in the AFL, players breaking contracts, Free Agents going to top 4 clubs. The whole idea of the AFL was always to even out the competition and that is why we have the draft and salary cap. It seems to me the evenness is slowly eroding away and it is becoming a bit of a free for all.
    Yeah something must be done. Not just about players breaking contracts but clubs wooing contracted players from other clubs. Players have way to much stroke with movement, if they want to just tear up contracts and move when they please then clubs should be able to just say your traded to Gold Coast, thanks for your services. Fine print when you enter the draft expect to play anywhere not just near home and be prepared to move anywhere each season. They want less restrictions and be able to *!*!*!*! clubs over, fine, be prepared to play somewhere which is not your #1 choice.

20. Likes WBFC4FFC, bornadog liked this post