Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Jeemak are you happy with how it all played out?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    But how do you stop it happening? Trade him with a year to go? Refuse to trade to the team of choice?
    We'd offered him a roughly comparable contract. He just wanted to go elsewhere. Players moving is going to be even more common so it's definitely going to be a situation that pops up relatively often.
    Lobby to change the rules around trading. With free agency a thing and no doubt, AFLPA efforts to expand it, the clubs should be looking to remove the clause that means a player can refuse a trade. Obviously has to be some depth to it, but introduce things like no trade clauses and make it so clubs can ship you off where they get the best value.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Yeah where is that sunnuva... He better be happy!

Post Thanks / Like

227 posts to go.

I don't know how but I'm sure we can do it.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    227 posts to go.

We've got all next year!

We can lament his success or cheer his demise. We're on track for 5000 at least!

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    227 posts to go.

The thread will be bumped every time he miskicks.

We'll reach 10,000 by the bye.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Lobby to change the rules around trading. With free agency a thing and no doubt, AFLPA efforts to expand it, the clubs should be looking to remove the clause that means a player can refuse a trade. Obviously has to be some depth to it, but introduce things like no trade clauses and make it so clubs can ship you off where they get the best value.
    Sure, but that's gonna be way out of out power to change directly and likely is a boat that'll take a while to turn around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Mostly.

I've enjoyed it going down to the wire the second time around, and the self-flagellation that it's resulted in - which is something I always look forward to this time of year, irrespective of who's coming or going.

The result is the result. I think if we look back at where things were 48 hours ago we've gotten as good as we were ever going to get. It's a massive win not having to use 21 on Lobb and I don't know if there's a huge amount of difference between picks 15 and 25 anyway.

It's a lot of change for Brisbane to suck up in the midfield and forward line, and who knows, they may be due an off year and our future first might turn into a pick around ten - which is entirely possible.

I'm a bit sad it's over.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Likes F'scary, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Mostly.

I've enjoyed it going down to the wire the second time around, and the self-flagellation that it's resulted in - which is something I always look forward to this time of year, irrespective of who's coming or going.

The result is the result. I think if we look back at where things were 48 hours ago we've gotten as good as we were ever going to get. It's a massive win not having to use 21 on Lobb and I don't know if there's a huge amount of difference between picks 15 and 25 anyway.

It's a lot of change for Brisbane to suck up in the midfield and forward line, and who knows, they may be due an off year and our future first might turn into a pick around ten - which is entirely possible.

I'm a bit sad it's over.
    It's not over, we still need 230 posts to hit 4000!!! I know I'll be coming back after the first episode of the 'Dunks and Zorks' vlog.

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Mostly.

I'm a bit sad it's over.
    It was funny seeing the reaction on BigFooty when the deal was first thought to have gone through (it had not)

"We've folded!"

No details passed. Just classic Bulldog pessimism

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    It's not over, we still need 230 posts to hit 4000!!! I know I'll be coming back after the first episode of the 'Dunks and Zorks' vlog.
    Adz and Dunks channel in shambles. That's the real victim here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    But how do you stop it happening? Trade him with a year to go? Refuse to trade to the team of choice?
    We'd offered him a roughly comparable contract. He just wanted to go elsewhere. Players moving is going to be even more common so it's definitely going to be a situation that pops up relatively often.
    Trading the year before is how it works in the "Soccer" world. Clubs just wont let quality players run down their contract. They put a dealin front of them often with 2 years to go on the deal and then ask them to commit. If they haven't got a deal they shop them around.

17. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone heard from Treloar?!

Post Thanks / Like

Scratch that.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Trading the year before is how it works in the "Soccer" world. Clubs just wont let quality players run down their contract. They put a dealin front of them often with 2 years to go on the deal and then ask them to commit. If they haven't got a deal they shop them around.
    This is reasonable and I'm sure we wish we had done this, but in the AFL shopping around a player reduces their value immediately. Attitudes need to shift in a few areas around contract management.

I'm glad we kept him to his contract two years ago. We nearly won a flag and he could have been a two time premiership winner.

We're also lucky he was a year shy of free agency, as we would have got an even worse deal than what we got this year!

21. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post