Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 3 of 263 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who else is there that can't get a game, but is worth chasing?
    They're sort of rotating their top picks from the last few years through the bottom couple of spots in their side, which you have to think would not make those picks happy. Caldwell and Hately in particular have looked good when they've gotten picked but haven't really gotten a fair shake. Hill is coming out of contract too but has looked a mile off it in his games this year.

Assuming we can't get Williams because why on earth would he want to play for us I'd ask about Caldwell.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, trading Dunkley ain't it chief. Especially when he's best mates with our captain.
    Chief...…..righteo.

So Dunkley's untouchable because he's the captain and best player's best mate. That's OK, if that's the case I'd be really interested to hear what talent we can lever to change the mix because what I have seen since the GWS game is a midfield that needs more pace and accountability and outside of those already playing in the midfield we have little leverage to address that quickly.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    They're sort of rotating their top picks from the last few years through the bottom couple of spots in their side, which you have to think would not make those picks happy. Caldwell and Hately in particular have looked good when they've gotten picked but haven't really gotten a fair shake. Hill is coming out of contract too but has looked a mile off it in his games this year.

Assuming we can't get Williams because why on earth would he want to play for us I'd ask about Caldwell.
    From what I've read their top players command a huge slice of the cap and the rest get peanuts so paying talented mid tier players what they're actually worth might be enough to land one or two of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree we need a massive overhaul of mids. What that entails I’m not sure, but I do know we have a one paced, poor skills midfield group that is in desperate need of pace and elite kicking skills. A defensive mid wouldn’t go astray either.

As much as Ryder, Hill, Butler and Howard have helped the saints, it’s the emergence of Clark and Steele (in particular) that is reaping their rewards.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

6. Likes Dry Rot, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How much of an upgrade is Williams on JJ?

Is he able to play 100% midfield?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Chief...…..righteo.

So Dunkley's untouchable because he's the captain and best player's best mate. That's OK, if that's the case I'd be really interested to hear what talent we can lever to change the mix because what I have seen since the GWS game is a midfield that needs more pace and accountability and outside of those already playing in the midfield we have little leverage to address that quickly.
    Totally agree with you Jeemak, the mids are very much the same with a lack of pace and play similar roles.

I really think we need a pacy outside mid, but at the same time I would keep Dunks as we need backup or an alternative to Libba.

One gets injured then we are in trouble. But, you have to give up something good to get back something. Our first round draft pick will go to drafting, so that is gone, so who else do we have to trade? A tough one, as not many have currency that anyone wants to let go.

If you said Dunks for Kelly/Williams - would many do that? I would certainly consider it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Chief...…..righteo.

Hunter would be the one I'd look to move on. Richards and Lipinski are two that I don't think will ever overcome their deficiencies but are both young enough to potentially secure us a decent return.

Beyond that, we have very little trade capital which probably explains why we're a middle of the road team.

That ain't it chief is a pretty widely known internet meme, btw
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade Lipinski. Makes awful decisions and waits for the cheap possession. Only thing he offers is polish around goal but he only kicks a goal every few weeks anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    Trade Lipinski. Makes awful decisions and waits for the cheap possession. Only thing he offers is polish around goal but he only kicks a goal every few weeks anyway.
    Would anyone want him?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hunter would be the one I'd look to move on. Richards and Lipinski are two that I don't think will ever overcome their deficiencies but are both young enough to potentially secure us a decent return.

Beyond that, we have very little trade capital which probably explains why we're a middle of the road team.

That ain't it chief is a pretty widely known internet meme, btw
    I agree Hunter would have currency, though not sure how it looks from a player support and welfare standpoint putting him on the table when he's struggling with personal issues, let alone being the right thing to do. Not sure whether that currency could be leveraged at the moment or whether a season of normality for him would be required.

Letting go of Richards compounds our issues around pace, if he just gets his act together with his kicking he could be an extremely valuable asset to us.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Hunter would have currency, though not sure how it looks from a player support and welfare standpoint putting him on the table when he's struggling with personal issues, let alone being the right thing to do. Not sure whether that currency could be leveraged at the moment or whether a season of normality for him would be required.

Letting go of Richards compounds our issues around pace, if he just gets his act together with his kicking he could be an extremely valuable asset to us.
    Maybe a change of environment is exactly what Hunter needs to overcome his issues and reinvigorate his love of the game?

Richards is past the 50 game mark, we know what we're getting with him. There are hundreds of ex-AFL players who had pace but couldn't hit the side of a barn door, Ed is just another one to add to the list.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Would anyone want him?
    Probably not, he's that bad. Send him off to a bottom 4 club or delist.

Post Thanks / Like

The best players at the club:

Bont, Macrae, Naughton, Hunter - untouchable.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a change of environment is exactly what Hunter needs to overcome his issues and reinvigorate his love of the game?

Richards is past the 50 game mark, we know what we're getting with him. There are hundreds of ex-AFL players who had pace but couldn't hit the side of a barn door, Ed is just another one to add to the list.
    Possibly, if he was in initiate the conversation then that could work.

I understand what you're saying about Richards, but think with a bit of thinking he could overcome his deficiencies and while he's played fifty games he's still only 21 so there's hope.

Post Thanks / Like

The best players at the club:

Bont, Macrae, Naughton, Hunter - untouchable.
    So you'd prefer us to give up Bailey Smith or Tim English before Hunter?