Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 30 of 263 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

I'll say this much and forgive my French but if we're not already balls deep into Tippa, we'd better be now.

Hai Sam Power.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

2. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I really hope there's some truth to Dunks being pissed off being bashed up in the ruck, whether he stays or he goes.

Would be a big wake up call for the coach and MC about our ridiculous ruck situation.
    Have you spiced this up a bit? I've read a bit from the journos about him not liking being used so much in the ruck but "pissed off and bashed-up" is a bit stronger than I have read from the media reports.

If the speculation produces a review of our ruck set-up then great but I don't think Dunks is a whinger.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Have you spiced this up a bit? I've read a bit from the journos about him not liking being used so much in the ruck but "pissed off and bashed-up" is a bit stronger than I have read from the media reports.

If the speculation produces a review of our ruck set-up then great but I don't think Dunks is a whinger.
    I reckon it would be more his old man, his family wouldn't have liked him playing ruck after breaking his backside off to come back from a serious ankle injury. He is a young kid his dad will have a significant influence on him and we all know money talks.

He has been well identified by Essendon, but we need to be firm the only way we trade him is because of a serious player coming back the other way. I'm not sure we have someone on our radar it looked like we were going to be bit part players going into trade period, it will be interesting what our club can come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Question - is Baines in any way involved with trade and list management?

Just had it pointed out to me that last time he dealt with Dodo he gave up pick 5 for Carlise under a storm of drug clouds, so would rather he not be.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Just had it pointed out to me that last time he dealt with Dodo he gave up pick 5 for Carlise under a storm of drug clouds, so would rather he not be.
    He also would’ve rubber stamped and recommended Josh Bruce last year.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

He would be across it but not making the decisions.

It was a timing issue for the Saints and Bains

The AFL Players Association advised Jake Carlisle's manager not to inform St Kilda of the allegations against the player despite knowing that Channel Nine was threatening to expose footage of Carlisle taking illicit drugs.

In a revelation which has created significant friction between the Saints and the players union it has emerged that the AFLPA knew about the allegations against Carlisle in the hours that preceded his trade to St Kilda but said nothing and advised Anthony McConville to do the same. The players' union has since said it would not sanction McConville.

Carlisle and McConville fronted the AFL's integrity bosses on Thursday with the player having admitted he misled his manager when first contacted about the vision which was shown on A Current Affair last Wednesday, just hours after his multimillion-dollar agreement with the Saints was ratified by the AFL.

Players boss Paul Marsh admitted to Fairfax Media that McConville sought the advice of the AFLPA. He said he backed the decision of the players' union to initially withhold the information from St Kilda although he admitted the timing had been unfortunate. "Whilst the timing could not have been more unsatisfactory for the club as it turned out, the agent would have been breaching his obligations to the player if he was to act on the limited information he was aware of any earlier."
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Wouldn’t say he recommends but might do the sign offs.
    Power would be the one doing the homework and recommending and I would say the whole football management department would do the due diligence on any contracts and players.
    This would include Chris Grant , Luke Darcy and our President among others
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He would be across it but not making the decisions.

It was a timing issue for the Saints and Bains

The AFL Players Association advised Jake Carlisle's manager not to inform St Kilda of the allegations against the player despite knowing that Channel Nine was threatening to expose footage of Carlisle taking illicit drugs.

In a revelation which has created significant friction between the Saints and the players union it has emerged that the AFLPA knew about the allegations against Carlisle in the hours that preceded his trade to St Kilda but said nothing and advised Anthony McConville to do the same. The players' union has since said it would not sanction McConville.

Carlisle and McConville fronted the AFL's integrity bosses on Thursday with the player having admitted he misled his manager when first contacted about the vision which was shown on A Current Affair last Wednesday, just hours after his multimillion-dollar agreement with the Saints was ratified by the AFL.

Players boss Paul Marsh admitted to Fairfax Media that McConville sought the advice of the AFLPA. He said he backed the decision of the players' union to initially withhold the information from St Kilda although he admitted the timing had been unfortunate. "Whilst the timing could not have been more unsatisfactory for the club as it turned out, the agent would have been breaching his obligations to the player if he was to act on the limited information he was aware of any earlier."
    Even so he still gave up pick 5 for a player that was extremely likely to receive some sort of sanction from ASADA for the next season. Made our boneheaded trade for Crameri look like a masterpiece.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Wouldn’t say he recommends but might do the sign offs.
    Power would be the one doing the homework and recommending and I would say the whole football management department would do the due diligence on any contracts and players.
    This would include Chris Grant , Luke Darcy and our President among others
    Of course Baines recommended Bruce.

Baines was list manager at st.kilda. Power would’ve got Baines opinion on Bruce.

Post Thanks / Like

Baines was list manager at st.kilda. Power would’ve got Baines opinion on Bruce.
    That's a prudent thing to do though right? I'm assuming we would be more astounded if the opposite occurred.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That's a prudent thing to do though right? I'm assuming we would be more astounded if the opposite occurred.
    Yep, exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Richmond built their dynasty after our premiership in 2016, and they did it with a game plan that was refined and improved on what we did in 2015-16. There is no reason whatsoever why we couldn't have built on 2016 to form our own dynasty. Clearly we didn't.

As a supporter, I'm as guilty as anyone for treating 2017 like a big holiday (probably moreso as I went on 3 overseas holidays that year). The truly great clubs get a taste and they get hungry for more. It's fair to say we didn't handle it from the top down, and now we have fabric players under 23 reportedly wanting to leave the club for another club that is frankly rubbish and has been for most of this century. It is just not a good look for us.

Geelong will improve again next year, ditto Richmond. Port definitely will, as will Brisbane. St Kilda are very proactive in improving their list after having a more successful season than us. How on earth are we going to jump ahead of all these clubs, let alone get ahead of teams around us (West Coast, Collingwood) and aggressive teams below us?

We dropped the ball, and last night was a very sobering reminder of just how much we failed to grasp our gilt-edged opportunity to develop a dynasty at the end of 2016.
    I don't disagree with what you've said about our collective efforts in 2017 and 2018, though essentially we've missed the boat on building a dynasty given there's been four seasons between our premiership and now. Given that I don't think you can compare us possibly losing one player to an offer that's reportedly going to double his salary and give his brother a chance at rekindling a fledgling AFL career to Geelong, Hawthorn or whoever not losing key players (aside from Ablett and Franklin of course) in the middle of a premiership run.

So yes, we stuffed up after 2016, but that's done and dusted and we've been rebuilding for a couple of years now. Perhaps I'm being too pragmatic but I view this alleged situation as something entirely independent of anything that's happened in the past, other than to say we've drafted similar midfielders and there's a squeeze for inside spots.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

15. Likes bornadog, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even so he still gave up pick 5 for a player that was extremely likely to receive some sort of sanction from ASADA for the next season. Made our boneheaded trade for Crameri look like a masterpiece.
    So what should he have done? Unless I'm missing something didn't the trade happen before he and the Saints found out about the drug taking?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yep, exactly.
    Absolutely he would have recommended him and prior to this season it would have been, on available evidence and experience, a good recommendation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    So what should he have done?
    Well if it were up to me I would have simply not done the trade at all, but the pick we gave up could've been at least a whole round later given the circumstances.