Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 45 of 263 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

I believe the previous posters were referring to Martin’s contract signed after he’d flirted with a move to GWS circa 2015/16. He ended up RE-signing with Richmond for something like $600k p.a. for two years. That was $50k or so shy of what Richmond has offered prior to him going on a tour of GWS’s facilities.

Obviously, two seasons later, at the end of the 2017 season, he was far better positioned to ask for squillions and knock back mega deals from all and sundry.

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's made up the short fall in endorsements as far as I'm aware, that's the lure of the big clubs, the off field is so lucrative.

"And now, Martin is arguably Australia’s most recognised sportsperson with lucrative endorsements with a string of companies including Bonds, Jeep and Boost.

It’s estimated Martin earns close to $1million on top of his football contract every year, with Carr confirming a new boots deal will also be done in the coming months."

Post Thanks / Like

I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burned into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

1) JUH closest relationship at the club is Dunks (not a stretch when he spent a week living with him and he seems like a super great guy)
    2) Essendon have caught wind of this
    3) Essendon lure Dunkley
    4) Essendon use Dunkley as an extra carrot in the courting of Buddy-esque, Bomber supporting, once in a generation talent JUH

#keepdunkley
    Last edited by The Adelaide Connection; 30-10-2020 at 01:29 AM.

5. Likes Dry Rot, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burning into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

1) JUH closest relationship at the club is Dunks (not a stretch when he spent a week living with him and he seems like a super great guy)
    3) Essendon lure Dunkley
    4) Essendon use Dunkley as an extra carrot in the courting of Buddy-esque, Bomber supporting, once in a generation talent JUH

#keepdunkley
    Just stop that now
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burning into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

3) Essendon lure Dunkley

#keepdunkley
    Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    Just stop that now
    That is some serious paranoia!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok say it is all true, Dunkley is leaving, what can we get in return?

I am assuming that what we are pushing for is two first rounders. I'd really be pushing for one of them to be Essendons 2021 first rounder, it could be a top 5 pick quite easily even with the addition of both Josh Dunkleys to their dogshit lineup.

I don't want any Essendon players back because a) I don't rate any of them and b) I think with the way Essendon rate their players they'll overvalue them and diminish the rest of the compensation, meaning we get something crap like Zach Merrett and a future third or a nearly finished Michael Hurley and two second rounders "for the points".

I had a quick glance at BigFooty which is obsessed with the idea of us grabbing pick 8 (what they get for Saad) and sending that with our 2021 first rounder for Adelaides pick 2 (Crouch compo) this year (obviously with a "don't bid on JUH with pick 1" clause built in). I don't really see that eventuating on a number of levels but I like the aggressiveness of it.

Otherwise I'd be really pushing to use that other pick on someone that improves our side, and by that I mean we get a quality tall defender, small forward, pacy winger or ruck, all of which offers us something different. I know everyones first thought is "oh but whos available" but the point is Dunkley wasn't available until Essendon made him so, it would be super out of character for us but we need to start thinking like that as well.

I think under no circumstances should we chase Treloar. If we are going to bring him in on $900k (minus the $200k Collingwood is paying) then we might as well just pay Dunkley the $700k a year he allegedly wants to stay. On top of that I don't really rate Treloar, he reminds me of those flimsy wind up car toys; Really quick in short bursts but absolutely no sense of direction and fragile as hell. He is not the winger type we need, and we don't need to replace Dunkley in the midfield because a) we couldn't give him enough time there to keep him happy anyway allegedly and b) second string midfielders are cheap as hell, just grab Charlie Constable or Quinton Narkle for a future 4th.
    Last edited by soupman; 30-10-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Thanks jeemak thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would we deal with Essendon at all, crap club, crap culture. Would hate to see Dunkley go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He's made up the short fall in endorsements as far as I'm aware, that's the lure of the big clubs, the off field is so lucrative.

"And now, Martin is arguably Australia’s most recognised sportsperson with lucrative endorsements with a string of companies including Bonds, Jeep and Boost.

It’s estimated Martin earns close to $1million on top of his football contract every year, with Carr confirming a new boots deal will also be done in the coming months."
    New deal coming through advertising chopsticks too I heard.

Anyway back to Dunks. the points made about what we might get for him are really good.
    We are only one injury away from needing Dunks in the midfield more.
    If he wants more time in there, surely we can accommodate it.
    Is he worth 700K in terms of numbers?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Is he worth 700K in terms of numbers?
    Not for me.

Dunks is a very good player and I'd value him at around 600-650K.

His lack of pace and his skills will forever hold him back.

13. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Not for me.

Dunks is a very good player and I'd value him at around 600-650K.

His lack of pace and his skills will forever hold him back.
    This is what might be the sticking point IMO. No doubt dunks is a 600-650 player, a bit one dimensional but enormous upside in his preferred role. The conversation for the dogs - I’m assuming - would be lift his current contract as he has 2 more years of playing out what is probably 450-500.

The fact Essendon are throwing in the “we’ll recruit your brother and you can save his career” is both shrewd and manipulative - I think it is highly unethical tbh and if the conversation ever turns to Kyles well-being and his outcome in this trade I hope the finger is pointed squarely at the bombers for creating that tension, than the dogs for holding him back.

Post Thanks / Like

I flippantly threw out a possible scenario a few days ago and it has slowly burned into a full blown paranoid conspiracy theory that I just can’t shake:

3) Essendon lure Dunkley

#keepdunkley
    Good lord dude - this is a long rabbit hole. We get JUH in the draft. next year all 40(ish) players and the coaching staff put their arms around him and cuddle him like the ‘beautiful baby that all our dreams are riding on’ that he is.

Post Thanks / Like

Put on your tinfoil hats

Post Thanks / Like

3) Essendon lure Dunkley

#keepdunkley
    This would almost fit in with what the poster on BomberBlitz was talking about 6 months ago how JUH doesn't want to come to the dogs and wants to go to Essendon...
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Ok say it is all true, Dunkley is leaving, what can we get in return?

I am assuming that what we are pushing for is two first rounders. I'd really be pushing for one of them to be Essendons 2021 first rounder, it could be a top 5 pick quite easily even with the addition of both Josh Dunkleys to their dogshit lineup.

I don't want any Essendon players back because a) I don't rate any of them and b) I think with the way Essendon rate their players they'll overvalue them and diminish the rest of the compensation, meaning we get something crap like Zach Merrett and a future third or a nearly finished Michael Hurley and two second rounders "for the points".

I had a quick glance at BigFooty which is obsessed with the idea of us grabbing pick 8 (what they get for Saad) and sending that with our 2021 first rounder for Adelaides pick 2 (Crouch compo) this year (obviously with a "don't bid on JUH with pick 1" clause built in). I don't really see that eventuating on a number of levels but I like the aggressiveness of it.

Otherwise I'd be really pushing to use that other pick on someone that improves our side, and by that I mean we get a quality tall defender, small forward, pacy winger or ruck, all of which offers us something different. I know everyones first thought is "oh but whos available" but the point is Dunkley wasn't available until Essendon made him so, it would be super out of character for us but we need to start thinking like that as well.

I think under no circumstances should we chase Treloar. If we are going to bring him in on $900k (minus the $200k Collingwood is paying) then we might as well just pay Dunkley the $700k a year he allegedly wants to stay. On top of that I don't really rate Treloar, he reminds me of those flimsy wind up car toys; Really quick in short bursts but absolutely no sense of direction and fragile as hell. He is not the winger type we need, and we don't need to replace Dunkley in the midfield because a) we couldn't give him enough time there to keep him happy anyway allegedly and b) second string midfielders are cheap as hell, just grab Charlie Constable or Quinton Narkle for a future 4th.
    I'd be asking for two first rounders - one this year, one in 2021.
    Then we go to Geelong and offer the 2020 first rounder for Jordan Clark, with a potential late pick coming to us too that Geelong aren't likely to use.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'd be asking for two first rounders - one this year, one in 2021.
    Then we go to Geelong and offer the 2020 first rounder for Jordan Clark, with a potential late pick coming to us too that Geelong aren't likely to use.
    With the pensioners row they're assembling can Geelong afford to let go off Clark?
    "It's over. It's all over."

20. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post