Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 56 of 263 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    but Dunks briefing reporters is also very poor.
    When did he do that?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I said a bit earlier in this thread Dunkley will be traded. This was before reading the Fox footy comments.

If the comments are true it is really disappointing and perhaps our leadership outside of the playing group isn’t as strong as we think.l (Bevo, Baines, Gordon, Grant).
    I do share your concerns azabob,
    but I do take solace in if indeed the comments were true, Dunkley would be trying to sign with any other club bar Essendon.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

4. Likes azabob, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Good points. I think the issue is that if you come through underneath more senior players then it can potentially be difficult to break that culture. If as supposed that Hunter and Libba (although I’m not convinced it’s these 2), are part of that ratbag group then there can be a schism there. You may end up with the players who want to follow you and others who get attracted to the easier/more fun option. That might be poor for their careers and the team but you don’t always see that in real time. While I agree that Dunkley may be partially using point 3 to justify points 1 & 2, a lot of this rings true to me, given what we’ve seen on and off the field the last few years.
    I hope we can hold onto him and hope we can sort out the problems internally, whatever they are, because it feel like we might be about to waste a pretty talented generation of Bulldogs.
    Reality is we already are wasting our current generational talent.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes KT31, Sedat, Happy Days, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Reality is we already are wasting our current generational talent.
    We won a flag in 2016 with this 'generational talent'. It is now 4 years on. The average age of the players who played in that flag, still on the list, is 25.6 (indicating that, on average, they have at least 5 or 6 years left in their careers).

Let's compare that to the Hawks of 2008. When they made their next Grand Final in 2011, they only had 8 of their premiership players still in the side (with a mixture of retirements, players not developing and trades). This included Hodge, Mitchell and Sewell 28+ and key trades Gibson, Burgoyne and Hale (all 28+). They had drafted well to fill out the remainder of their side, but their 'generational talent' of Hodge and Mitchell didn't play in their second premiership until they were nearing 30.

This generation is not wasted, or gone. We have a good core of 24-28yo, some exciting youth, and some targeted trading of older players. Converting that to results is definitely the challenge, and one premiership is not enough, but I struggle to say it is 'wasted' at the moment. Most of this generation are not even halfway through their careers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    We won a flag in 2016 with this 'generational talent'. It is now 4 years on. The average age of the players who played in that flag, still on the list, is 25.6 (indicating that, on average, they have at least 5 or 6 years left in their careers).

Let's compare that to the Hawks of 2008. When they made their next Grand Final in 2011, they only had 8 of their premiership players still in the side (with a mixture of retirements, players not developing and trades). This included Hodge, Mitchell and Sewell 28+ and key trades Gibson, Burgoyne and Hale (all 28+). They had drafted well to fill out the remainder of their side, but their 'generational talent' of Hodge and Mitchell didn't play in their second premiership until they were nearing 30.

This generation is not wasted, or gone. We have a good core of 24-28yo, some exciting youth, and some targeted trading of older players. Converting that to results is definitely the challenge, and one premiership is not enough, but I struggle to say it is 'wasted' at the moment. Most of this generation are not even halfway through their careers.
    I didn't say wasted, I said wasting.

My concern is I haven't seen any signs that we are on the right track converting the talents into more premierships.

At the end of 2017 it was said we needed to clear out players who were not toeing the company line such as Stringer and Dahlhaus. Now rumours (made up or not) are now circulating that we may still have disruptive players in the group.

I go back to my earlier post are our off filed leaders strong enough to pull players into line when needed?

Hopefully as GVGjr said this will lead to more honest and robust conversations.

Finishing 7-10th is no man's land in footy.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    And that is precisely what the club MUST do today, if there isn't any truth to this.
    It's all fine to keep cards close to the chest, but something like this has the potential to impact membership and support.
    I want my club to get out on the front foot and address this publicly TODAY.
    We won't though. As a supporter that disappoints me because not only does that create doubt in mine and other supporters minds it also creates a stigma at the club even if it's completely fabricated. We won't say a thing until the trade period opens and that's fine behind the internal walls, outside of that it's pretty hazy.

10. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So he’s re-signed in 2019 and now is apparently pissed at “members of the playing group” for poor professional and training standards.

I wonder if these “members” were not in the playing group in 2019 but were in 2020. Absolutely racking my brain to think who we possibly could have added in 2020 that would not give their all on the track though.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So he’s re-signed in 2019 and now is apparently pissed at “members of the playing group” for poor professional and training standards.

I wonder if these “members” were not in the playing group in 2019 but were in 2020. Absolutely racking my brain to think who we possibly could have added in 2020 that would not give their all on the track though.
    Bruce ?
    Keath ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Bruce ?
    Keath ?
    Only one of these guys showed up after the season stoppage looking like an actual lead balloon.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes DOG GOD, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm not sure you can speculate on what his father might be saying and then in the same breath keep running with the 'fake news' on everything in the negative said about our players or the club.
    We've had a opportunity to come out and address the speculation and I think we now need to do that.
    If Ralph and Morris are bending the facts to create a story it won't be hard for the club to set the record straight.

We just need to do the Michelle from Allo Allo "Listen very carefully, I shall say zis only once" "We will not entertain any offers for Josh Dunkley and we absolutely refute the acquisitions made Tom Morris and Jon Ralph about the culture of our club"

One emphatic statement stops all this in it's tracks.
    Be better if Josh said it
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    We won't though. As a supporter that disappoints me because not only does that create doubt in mine and other supporters minds it also creates a stigma at the club even if it's completely fabricated. We won't say a thing until the trade period opens and that's fine behind the internal walls, outside of that it's pretty hazy.
    I mean I know it can be a good thing to keep things quiet and internal but at what point does not saying anything about anything lead us to becoming irrelevant simply because no one even thinks about us?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Maybe the same person who was supposed to film the scratch matches and give the fans some sort of insight into the players not getting a game was also supposed to put out a public statement on Dunkley?

Keeping fans informed is clearly for other clubs to focus on, not the Bulldogs.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

19. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We've already said twice that we aren't trading Dunkley. Baines said it at the outset and Ralph wrote an article that said he'd been in touch with the club and we said that the trade wasn't happening.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I so want this rubbish to just go away. And I so want Josh to remain a Bulldog.

Why doesn't the club make a statement regarding some of the crap that these "journalists" are reporting, and take the heat out of the issue. The other day I answered a poll regarding whether, as a supporter, we are committed to supporting our club (financially) by renewing our membership for next year. Bearing in mind the shemozzle that this year became. Of course I answered yes, unequivocally. However the lack of response from the club indicates that they are do not understand the harm that these sort of rumours inflict on us supporters.

For goodness sake, say something. This is one of the reasons we are not a destination club, for both players and supporters.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We've already said twice that we aren't trading Dunkley. Baines said it at the outset and Ralph wrote an article that said he'd been in touch with the club and we said that the trade wasn't happening.
    We haven't said anything publicly about our culture being questioned.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

23. Likes 1eyedog liked this post