Thanks Thanks:  302
Likes Likes:  3,271
Page 6 of 263 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Dunkley

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trade Dunkley

So to wrap up, everyone wants to trade Dunkley. Great!

So to really wrap up, this is what I've learned from the posts, and in honesty, the contributions have been really good.

1. Whoever is considered to be B to A+ talent is off limits for trade
    2. Players who are delivering marginal results are OK to trade
    3. We should target free agents/ players placing their clubs under contract pressure

I don't really want to trade Dunkley, I never did (I think he's extremely versatile and can play multiple positions). The purpose of this thread was to see how far Woofers were willing to go to make what some of us think are necessary changes to the list quickly, and demonstrate that it isn't easy which in honesty, most of us know anyway.

So in essence, we're not prepared to give anyone of value away to secure someone good, we think we should rely on FA and trading to bring in personnel (albeit we've been ordinary in this area), and I assume to supplement any gaps in that we will go to the draft.

Does that mean that we're expecting player development to carry us forward until we can either land quality via the above means or wait for drafted recruits to mature? If so, we'll be waiting a while and we need to suck it up.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes soupman, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I really think we need a genuine mature wingman, a guy in the 27-29 age range would be ideal.
    Whilst he frustrates me with his often careless ball use, Ed Richards has the necessary work ethic and the right instincts to be a viable long-term two-way running wingman for us. He certainly gets back often to help out the defence when they are under siege, which cannot always be said of our midfield group as a whole. Having said that, he really does need to improve his hurt factor when transitioning from defence to attack.

Guys like Mitch Robinson and Sam Menegola prove that wingman can improve over time and become valuable and destructive players later in their careers. Richards has that improvement in him as well IMO, if he is prepared to work hard on his current deficiencies with ball in hand.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Does that mean that we're expecting player development to carry us forward until we can either land quality via the above means or wait for drafted recruits to mature? If so, we'll be waiting a while and we need to suck it up.
    I think this is true, this is what we have done for a long time, plus bringing in a couple of mature players.

However, we should go hard at some free agents like Williams and see if we can land a gun.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Whilst he frustrates me with his often careless ball use, Ed Richards has the necessary work ethic and the right instincts to be a viable long-term two-way running wingman for us. He certainly gets back often to help out the defence when they are under siege, which cannot always be said of our midfield group as a whole. Having said that, he really does need to improve his hurt factor when transitioning from defence to attack.
    I'm not really worried about this. Although it's badly deserted him for now his first few games his hurt factor with the ball is one of the traits that was the most impressive about him. Plus when he's deep forward of the ball he has shown good finishing instincts (those two horrendous fumble/misses in that game that's escaping me notwithstanding) and a reliable set shot. His skills are there he just has to care a little more with the ball.

What I am concerned about is his ability to find the ball. Hunter's value is all derived from his ability to run to and find incredibly valuable positions to receive the ball and link up play. Ed is playing the same spot and frequently getting it less than 10 times a game. Reading the play without the ball is something of a natural instinct and I'm worried that he won't be able to develop it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think this is true, this is what we have done for a long time, plus bringing in a couple of mature players.

However, we should go hard at some free agents like Williams and see if we can land a gun.
    Agreed. I think this means we think our list is close. I'd love Williams but I also think Richards, Smith and Vander go a long way to addressing our lack of speed issues. If they can become the players we want them to be that area will be close to being addressed. We really need to sort out our forward line, it's like a plate of dropped lasagne.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm not really worried about this. Although it's badly deserted him for now his first few games his hurt factor with the ball is one of the traits that was the most impressive about him. Plus when he's deep forward of the ball he has shown good finishing instincts (those two horrendous fumble/misses in that game that's escaping me notwithstanding) and a reliable set shot. His skills are there he just has to care a little more with the ball.

What I am concerned about is his ability to find the ball. Hunter's value is all derived from his ability to run to and find incredibly valuable positions to receive the ball and link up play. Ed is playing the same spot and frequently getting it less than 10 times a game. Reading the play without the ball is something of a natural instinct and I'm worried that he won't be able to develop it.
    Interestingly the high paid wingman in the game is also not getting the footy.

Not sure what any of it means, just an observation.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Interestingly the high paid wingman in the game is also not getting the footy.

Not sure what any of it means, just an observation.
    Assume you mean Brad Hill? He's been low key terrible since he got to St Kilda, and it's kind of been lost in the Saints generally being pretty good. If they dish up a couple more games like their most recent one then it will be interesting to see if any heat gets put on him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread - am a Dunkley fan, so not not keen on him being put up as a trade option.

There has been some references to players we might like to target in this thread (and other threads) and am wondering if we chase Higgins (recent reports from SEN suggest he might want out if Norf are in a rebuilding mode).

He offers experience, outside run and some size.

Just thought I'd throw his name into the mix as someone who might be easier to get across the line (versus Willians from GWS).

Of course it would only be for a couple of years given his age, but it ensures we have the outside run and can still have Dunks developing in our midfield group.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

12. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Assume you mean Brad Hill? He's been low key terrible since he got to St Kilda, and it's kind of been lost in the Saints generally being pretty good. If they dish up a couple more games like their most recent one then it will be interesting to see if any heat gets put on him.
    Yes, I mean Brad Hill.

Issac Smith would've been a great get for us.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Great thread - am a Dunkley fan, so not not keen on him being put up as a trade option.

There has been some references to players we might like to target in this thread (and other threads) and am wondering if we chase Higgins (recent reports from SEN suggest he might want out if Norf are in a rebuilding mode).

Just thought I'd throw his name into the mix as someone who might be easier to get across the line (versus Willians from GWS).

Of course it would only be for a couple of years given his age, but it ensures we have the outside run and can still have Dunks developing in our midfield group.
    The prodigal son returns? He's got the skill set we require, just his age for me. At 32 I think too big a risk and noticed hes had some leg issues lately but gee it's a good question to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    The prodigal son returns? He's got the skill set we require, just his age for me. At 32 I think too big a risk and noticed hes had some leg issues lately but gee it's a good question to ask.
    Didn't he go to Norf to win a flag?
    Anyway, there is no way I'm giving Missy a chance of winning one in 2021.

On second thoughts Lin Jong could do with a rehab partner...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

16. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post

Are you tyring out jeemak jeemak in this thread Smads57?

I've always really rated what Higgins brings to the table, and possibly overlooked what he doesn't consistently. If he was turning thirty and not at his current age I'd be all for it.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Higgins is quality but slooooooow, and has he played wing in his life?
    Hard pass from me.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Higgins is quality but slooooooow, and has he played wing in his life?
    Hard pass from me.
    Higgins has no defensive capabilities or desires and torches the ball way too often for my liking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Higgins has no defensive capabilities or desires and torches the ball way too often for my liking.
    My reaction when anyone even considers Higgins.

"It's over. It's all over."

21. Likes Grantysghost, SonofScray liked this post