Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it time to Move Caleb Daniel further up the ground and help with delivery into the forward line.

I know Caleb is playing well in his current position, and it all starts from the backline moving the ball down the ground, but as we know we haven't been delivering the ball well.

Should Caleb be moved further up the ground or are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

I especially enjoyed his bullet pass last night, to hit up Dale who then scored.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time to Move Caleb Daniel further up the ground and help with delivery into the forward line.

Possibly. It could be a rob Peter to pay Paul situation, but I thino we'd benefit from him getting the footy forward of centre more often than not. You can't imagine him making the sort of decisions kicking I50 that Ed did last night.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time to Move Caleb Daniel further up the ground and help with delivery into the forward line.

I too like the idea of moving Caleb fwd. he makes good decisions, and takes his time under pressure more than not. It’s precision kicks like his we are dying for. I would literally hate to play in our fwd 50 with the delivery our half fwd flankers continually butcher.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

5. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could swap Richards and Daniel around.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    You could swap Richards and Daniel around.
    That is probably worth a try
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In the shortest of terms, yes. Yes it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That is probably worth a try
    Wouldn't he be more effective in an inside role than moving up-field into an outside role?

I just cant see how that plays to his strengths - finding space where there is none and finding targets whilst under pressure.
    Inside mid? You might be onto something there.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I know Caleb is playing well in his current position, and it all starts from the backline moving the ball down the ground, but as we know we haven't been delivering the ball well.

Should Caleb be moved further up the ground or are we robbing Peter to pay Paul?

I especially enjoyed his bullet pass last night, to hit up Dale who then scored.
    We have a list full of half back flankers and Bevo tried to create another one in Daniel.

Absolutely we should move him up the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    We have a list full of half back flankers and Bevo tried to create another one in Daniel.

Absolutely we should move him up the ground.
    Not sure you have the right description in tried to make one. Caleb is one of the best backmen in the AFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it’s worth a try. Has been excellent down back. That kick to Bailey Dale was superb when he pressed up. He is a player that can play multiple positions - id love to see him play some parts in fwd line and some as that linking role he played really early in his career. Shame there is only one of him

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna have to say no. He's been absolutely incredible down back and moving him forward of the ball will totally wreck our ability to get the ball forward. He's pretty much an All Australian level HBF and we want to move away from that because he might be good in another position?

The suggestion of Richards back is an odd one given his current struggles with ball use. I love Ed probably more than anyone else on here, but even with more open field to play with can anyone honestly suggest that he would be able to get us out of the jams that Caleb can?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

14. Likes SonofScray, Testekill, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm inclined to say no. He is the only one in our back half who is consistently able to continuously and positively bring the ball forward, through either disposal or running. Also the way we set up it means he just kicks it and keeps running past 'till it gets to our forwardline. It also brings in the issue of if he doesn't start with the ball he has to work his way into the play, which is harder for him than the present role.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

The suggestion of Richards back is an odd one given his current struggles with ball use. I love Ed probably more than anyone else on here, but even with more open field to play with can anyone honestly suggest that he would be able to get us out of the jams that Caleb can?
    That was my initial thought too, but potentially the extra space and less pressure on him (consider most of the time he gets it currently he is sprinting out of a contest and trying to deliver under pressure or at least perceived pressure) means he might be able to be more careful with his execution, not dissimilar to how Boyd was a crap kick in the midfield but awesome in defence.

Just for Richards sake i think it's worth considering as a way to simplify things for him and get his confidence up again after a year of no form, with the possible benefit of giving us a Saad like explosive half back.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'm inclined to say no. He is the only one in our back half who is consistently able to continuously and positively bring the ball forward, through either disposal or running. Also the way we set up it means he just kicks it and keeps running past 'till it gets to our forwardline. It also brings in the issue of if he doesn't start with the ball he has to work his way into the play, which is harder for him than the present role.

That was my initial thought too, but potentially the extra space and less pressure on him (consider most of the time he gets it currently he is sprinting out of a contest and trying to deliver under pressure or at least perceived pressure) means he might be able to be more careful with his execution, not dissimilar to how Boyd was a crap kick in the midfield but awesome in defence.

Just for Richards sake i think it's worth considering as a way to simplify things for him and get his confidence up again after a year of no form, with the possible benefit of giving us a Saad like explosive half back.
    Maybe. There’s no way his kicking is as bad as it’s been this year. But I wouldn’t be moving Caleb to accomodate him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Maybe. There’s no way his kicking is as bad as it’s been this year. But I wouldn’t be moving Caleb to accomodate him.
    I agree, but if a spot for him is found there I wouldn't be against him having a go.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure you have the right description in tried to make one. Caleb is one of the best backmen in the AFL
    Yep your right. I still think he will get exposed when the big games will come around back there. It wasn't an area that needed fixing was my point, connection has been a massive issue.

To be honest atm though, its application our players avoid contact they haven't recovered mentally from the final last year there is no doubt about it. I wouldn't call out players soft because no one in the AFL is soft its a brutal game but they are playing like gentleman atm.

I actually think our forward line will come together with continuity with a few tweaks. Caleb could help hit targets coming up at the footy while Bruce and Naughty wrestle the gorillas.

19. Likes bornadog liked this post