Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time to Move Caleb Daniel further up the ground and help with delivery into the forward line.

He was moved to defence as he was getting to a point where he was ineffective elsewhere.

He's almost AA as a small defender so lets keep him there.

2. Likes azabob, Happy Days, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is it time to Move Caleb Daniel further up the ground and help with delivery into the forward line.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    In the preseason I suggested in one of our threads that I'd like to see Caleb Daniel playing his current quarterback role but in the forward line (ie Quarter Forward) and pinpointing targets in attack.
    I quoted this recently in another thread. So I'm up for at least giving Daniel a try as an attacking option. He is clever enough to make it work and would improve delivery into attack enormously.

As great as Daniel has been in the back half consider this for a moment. With Daniel playing his current role primarily in defence our results have been;

2020 - won 5 and lost 6

2019 - won 7 and lost 10

when we made our run to the finals last year and Daniel was out of the team we

won 5 lost 1

(the loss was the Elimination Final)

in the 5 wins we had without Daniel we scored on average 106 points per game. We averaged 83 points per game with him in.

This is quite interesting. I thought our back line were more free wheeling and attacking last year when he was out injured. Less stop/start. We moved the ball a lot quicker. So with that in mind is it feasible that we could expect a similar outcome if we took Daniel out of the back half again? With the ball coming up the ground quicker we 'could' have a player like Daniel working from midfield to forward which should sharpen disposal into the F50 and improve scoring opportunities.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

4. Thanks Dancin' Douggy thanked for this post
    Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I quoted this recently in another thread. So I'm up for at least giving Daniel a try as an attacking option. He is clever enough to make it work and would improve delivery into attack enormously.

As great as Daniel has been in the back half consider this for a moment. With Daniel playing his current role primarily in defence our results have been;

2020 - won 5 and lost 6

2019 - won 7 and lost 10

when we made our run to the finals last year and Daniel was out of the team we

won 5 lost 1

(the loss was the Elimination Final)

in the 5 wins we had without Daniel we scored on average 106 points per game. We averaged 83 points per game with him in.

This is quite interesting. I thought our back line were more free wheeling and attacking last year when he was out injured. Less stop/start. We moved the ball a lot quicker. So with that in mind is it feasible that we could expect a similar outcome if we took Daniel out of the back half again? With the ball coming up the ground quicker we 'could' have a player like Daniel working from midfield to forward which should sharpen disposal into the F50 and improve scoring opportunities.
    It seems at times last year he was our “get out of jail free card” every opportunity. We’d rely on his agility and decision making too heavily and put him under intense pressure. There was a time last year when he was leading the company for kicks intercepted for this reason. I thought last year we had a better back structure without him.

Having said that, this year he’s been amazing down back and our line up has changed.

He brings players into the game, controls the tempo in pressure and silky smooth in his delivery. If that isn’t someone who is worth trying kicking into F50 rather than out of D50 again then I don’t know who is. Particularly to a forward line as ineffective as ours lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be very reluctant to move him, especially in a backline that is now missing its second best ball mover in JJ.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I would be very reluctant to move him, especially in a backline that is now missing its second best ball mover in JJ.
    I’d rate Bailey Williams as our second best ball mover in defence this year. Honestly, on recent form, I’d put JJ behind Keath as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I’d rate Bailey Williams as our second best ball mover in defence this year. Honestly, on recent form, I’d put JJ behind Keath as well
    Williams has been good, but he doesn't break the lines like Daniel and JJ do. JJ hasn't been amazing in this respect, but I think the backline is quite stagnant without the run he and Daniel provide.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

https://twitter.com/CalebDanielKick/...871794176?s=20

This is the third best kick of all time now, behind Bont to Gowers against Sydney last year and Suckling's goal from the fence at Ballarat against Port a few years ago.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

10. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    https://twitter.com/CalebDanielKick/...871794176?s=20

This is the third best kick of all time now, behind Bont to Gowers against Sydney last year and Suckling's goal from the fence at Ballarat against Port a few years ago.
    Some magnificent kicks. That Suckling one was unreal. I was sitting just about right behind him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I love Caleb but the most surprising kick yesterday was Tim English’s set shot. I gave him a 1/10 chance but he flushed it.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.