Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets all play match comittee roulette on some borderline players

The club have some hard list management decisions to make at the end of the season and what the match committee do is anyone's guess and it seems some have already had their papers stamped. I'll kick it off but there are plenty more to discuss so spin the wheel Woofers. name the player, reasons for or against and the outcome.
    Lewis Young-Surely a better option anywhere on the ground instead of Gardner, can take a contested grab, something we are missing every week. His manager would be derelict in his duty if he didn't request a trade at end of year. GONE.
    Brad Lynch-Has good leg speed and a good user on both sides, looked promising towards the end of 2018 but unsighted since, surely could have played when Ed Richards was struggling as they seem similar types. GONE.
    Fergus Greene-Looks a natural forward but hasn't had a look in, similar type to Bailey Dale and could have been given an opportunity when Dale was out injured. GONE.
    Jordan Sweet-Has been named as an emergency 412 times in the past two seasons but is he ever a realistic chance to debut??? Who knows what happens here but we need back up for big Tim. STAY.
    Last edited by Mitcha; 10-08-2020 at 11:55 AM.

2. Likes GVGjr, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets all play match comittee roulette on some borderline players

I'd be doing whatever I could to keep Lewis Young. A required player in my opinion. He's got a good future ahead of him plus he is versatile. He's a keeper so I vote for him to Stay

Jordon Sweet has one on the safest spots on the list and should crack it for a senior game very soon. He Stays in my opinion

Three players I will add to the discussion as leaving us at the end of the season:

Jackson Trengove - I still think he has something to offer us but if he isn't going to be played then we have no room for him.
    I'm a very reluctant Gone voter here
    Tory Dickson - He's been a great player for us but others have moved past him and he hasn't been able to force his way into the line-up. I vote that Dickson is Gone at the end of the season.
    Roarke Smith - As Mofra pointed out today, Smith's journey has been a compelling one since he arrived at the club
    He just hasn't shown enough upside from mine so I'd be voting him as Gone at the end of the season
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Has Brad Lynch fled the country? It continues to baffle me what has happened with him.

Post Thanks / Like

If we aren't going to play them is there any point keeping them? For this reason Young, Trengove, Dickson all get cut for mine, clearly all three when fit are good enough to be at least in the frame but we have shown this year that we aren't interested in picking them, and for all the benefit they provide in potential improvement to our side they might as well be Peter Gordon if we are never going to use them.

I mean clearly you keep Young if possible, and maybe Trengove as great versatile not shithouse depth, but really if we are going to use nearly every player on the list and still not call up these depth players are they really depth or just deadweights?

Greene, Lynch and Smith have all not shown enough/anything to justify another year, and we need to address our clinginess to marginal talent anyway. If any of them can prove with a sustained run of games in the senior that they are worth hanging onto I am open to keeping them, but based on their exposed no form there is no way you can.

Sweet is the anomaly, ruckmen take ages to develop and are the ultimate ekers, Tom Campbell still being listed despite his AFL career dying about 4 years ago is proof of that. You need a depth guy or two, and withou knowing if Sweet is any good at all he is probably as good as the next state league ruck we rookie list. Trengove is also useful for that purpose, but at least we are only paying Sweet rookie wages to do nothing, so he gets the nod.

Next ones:
    Toby McLean: Premiership player and clearly talented, yet has not contributed to the side in a meaningful way for years. Has received just 1 Marmo vote for his contributions 2019-20, has struggled to find a role in the side and perform in it for ages and is constantly on the cusp of selection. The vast majority of his votes from individual posters (usually just a handful at most) come in losses where most of the side plays like shit and endeavour rather than impact on the game is overvalued. For mine, for the good of his career, trade. I guess he is too good to delist, but if we reduced list sizes drastically he could be one we just part ways with.
    Lin Jong: Super likeable, super tough and a great story, it seems harsh to consider ending it. But he has been with us for so long with so little reward for either party, is it time we move him on? He can't get by on potential anymore, and what he is is an ok AFL player that is super injury prone. I love him but does he improve us? He was good in the first couple of rounds but that is his entire career. Promising and even good performances up until round 5, then a mixture of injured and out of form for the remainder of the season. Gone
    Will Hayes: Not a popular choice with supporters last year, but improved steadily to the point he was a useful player at the level by the time of our ill fated finals campaign. Now cannot buy a game, despite him surely being the kind of guy that presents to the club very professionally and would be training well, and the player he is most similiar to in role (Hunter) having been out of the side for the entire season with no real repalcement. Gone. Again I don't mind him, but if we aren't going to play him whats the point of keeping him? Classic Dogs list management, we are always carrying guys on our list with whom you're never sure why they're there.

Obviously the bigger issue is what are we replacing them with, especially in a year where the draft is stuffed. I suspect if the rumours are true and list sizes are reduced we will have a very easy time of it really (although emotionally heartbreaking), but even if not I would rather we just grabbed 5 guys cut from other clubs on 1 year contracts that we are interested in playing instead of keeping guys we clearly are not.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Gardner, Gowers and Rourke Smith must have photos.
    Lewy Young, Fergus Greene, Brad Lynch and Will Hayes must have the clap.
    Jordon Sweet must have trained well this week regaining his spot on the emergencies list.

7. Likes ratsmac, westbulldog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great post Soupaman.

It’s beyond me what some of these players have done. In a compromised season of hubs and short breaks, why haven’t these players got at least one game by now. Playing favourites is as blatant as I’ve ever seen. There can be no other legitimate reason. Young, Trengove, Dickson, Lynch, Greene and Hayes are not complete duds. If fit, there is no reason not to play them, but the MC obviously see/know something we are not privy too, so it begs the question...why were these players Uprooted and taken to the Hub ?
    I will never see #16 the same!!