Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  87
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Offseason recruiting priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    The only problem with the Bont is we have a game plan that only he can make work.

If we don’t win he cops all the blame.

Is it his fault ...
    ....we often get smashed in the ruck.
    ....have a dysfunctional forward line.
    ....the backmen seem swamped?

I think we will never see him correctly until he goes to another team.
    So where or when does he cope “all the blame “? What on FB ? He hasn’t played as well as this year as he has, but they’re pretty lofty standards . I get it everyone’s frustrated and pissed off , but you’re just rambling incoherently

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Your last five words are in the wrong order . They should be

his malaise is our fault.
    Really ? Great player having a slightly down year ? Gee there’s isn’t a great player who’s been brilliant EVERY season
    So basically your point is he’d be a better player at another club ? My god I’ve heard some nonsense on here but that’s gold medal

3. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bont had 30 on the weekend, he’s a gun playing sore.

The tendency to blame a club’s best players for poor team wide performances is a logical failing that comes up again and again and always baffles me. Is it Bont being a superstar that is hurting us or is it a dysfunctional forward line, an ill-equipped at times back line, midfielders who can be guilty of running one way, no viable second wingman, or a combination of all but the former?

I know which one is an easier explanation and which one is right.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Doc, I am 99% certain Roughead has re-signed with the Pies.
    Didn't Schache sign a new deal with Brisbane then 6 mths later he was gone. Contracts don't mean much these days although the chances of getting Roughy back would be minimal I would think.

6. Likes AshMac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Articles out this morning stating Lonie and Langdon (GWS) are our potential trade targets.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Articles out this morning stating Lonie and Langdon (GWS) are our potential trade targets.
    For the love of god, why Lonie? He's a finisher who, compared to other small forwards, offers less pressure than average.
    He would have been a star in the 80s.

Langdon I've only seen flashes of, but I think the GWS/Bulldogs animosity makes getting any GWS player a bit more difficult. I'd prefer we hit up mjp for a hidden small forward in WA or two to rookie. An indigenous kid to enter the system at the same time as JUH, even better.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes 1eyedog, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with your post 100%. I'd take the article with a grain of salt. It's Zerohangar likely run by a 15 year old pimply kid in a basement. Not sure where they stole the info from.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I agree with your post 100%. I'd take the article with a grain of salt. It's Zerohangar likely run by a 15 year old pimply kid in a basement. Not sure where they stole the info from.
    Zerohanger is amatuer, but The Age ran with Langdon, Lonie and Bedford as trade targets last week.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    . An indigenous kid to enter the system at the same time as JUH, even better.
    that is what we should be doing
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could do worse than Langdon to be honest. He’s not going to wow anyone with his skills but is a capable finisher (pretty sure he like all great hack forwards has a 5.0 game to his name) and will definitely bring the heat.

15. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about getting in the ear of Fischer McAsey? Dogs supporter, and I can't imagine he enjoys being flicked between key forward and back depending on how insecure Tex is feeling on a given week (or playing for the Crows in general). The Crows are in such a tenuous position that they would probably try to spin trading away their top pick from a year ago as a line in the sand moment or something. I know he's contracted but I want to get in ASAP before they wreck him.

They'd probably want at least a first inside 10 for him, but if he walks? Don't think they have the guts right now to make him stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    What about getting in the ear of Fischer McAsey? Dogs supporter, and I can't imagine he enjoys being flicked between key forward and back depending on how insecure Tex is feeling on a given week (or playing for the Crows in general). The Crows are in such a tenuous position that they would probably try to spin trading away their top pick from a year ago as a line in the sand moment or something. I know he's contracted but I want to get in ASAP before they wreck him.

They'd probably want at least a first inside 10 for him, but if he walks? Don't think they have the guts right now to make him stay.
    Yes and no. The Crows would want a first round pick for him and we would have to use next years to get him
    His form hasn't been impressive at the moment which is understandable but it's why I think we should be cautious
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

And we owe them for Tony McGuinness, Kym Koster, Shane Ellen and Simon Tregenza. And on a personal level Romano Negri!

I would look at McAsey next year if we need to bolster KP depth. We should first have a look at Jamarra and Raak to see how they look in our system.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

19. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like he's already on our list...
    More of an In Bruges guy?

21. Likes DOG GOD, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's at this point of the season that we can identify some players that are out of favour but could perform a role for us if recruited. Ideally this is the buy low portion of their career, and certainly i think many of these guys are worth giving a go over another year of Lynch/Hayes/Smith/Greene/Gowers etc. I generally think if a player isn't getting a game for a side, no matter how good the side is, that that is a big warning sign so I am not overly sold on many of these, but i do think there is some merit in looking into them.

Aliir Aliir: We need a good tall defender that can take the big guys and ideally isn't purely lockdown. Aliir is all that and is currently not getting picked in Sydneys side. Is he worth looking at for us?

Brayden Fiorini: We spent a lot of last year trying to create a hard running wingman out of Hayes and/or Smith but seem to have gone off that idea. Fiorini is that, is not getting picked in Gold Coasts side, and generally is good. Isn't quite the offensive threat that say an Isaac Smith is, but could be another Hunter type and really help link up our forwardline with the rest of the side.

Darcy McPherson: Kind of a more advanced Rhylee West type, big link to the Dogs, and not getting a look in at the now good Suns. Is a decent forward, can push up the flansk into a midfield type role, could be worth adding to the squad.

Ian Hill: Small indigenous forward who is a smooth mover and seems to be kind of the type we need imo. Only played the one game this year after getting a handful last year. GWS are pretty good judges, in that if a player isn't getting a game for them they usually aren't that good, so sceptical on this one but Hill certainly has attributes we could use.

Zac Langdon: Another small forward, gotten much more of a look in than Hill this season. Not sure he is quite the chaos forward i would like and could be more the Dale type. Two goals this year from 7 games is not very encouraging though.

Mitch Hannan: Seems to be in and out lately, and has the Dogs connection from his Footscray days. Again probably a bit much of a Lloyd type for me to be really keen, although is a better version of Gowers in that he is an aerial threat. Like Crozier and Howe before him is kind of a low possesion half forward who can take a speccy but doesn't impact games greatly, i wonder if a switch back for him could also reap dividends.

Tom Lynch: Lead up forward who is a good linkman up the wings and is pretty positive with the ball. The most established of this list (doesn't really fit the on the outer narrative of the rest) but not part of Adelaides next tilt so might be worth asking the question for all parties involved.

Sorry not an overly inspiring list but i do think some of them are worth considering and almost all should be relatively cheap.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

23. Thanks Happy Days, hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot liked this post