Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  87
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Offseason recruiting priorities

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Our footy dept could use some bolstering. I think Graeme Lowe leaving a couple of years back left a big hole. One of the best manager's ever could be on the market in Neil Balme. He has helped 3 clubs into 8 grand finals. There is no rival to that kind of record. We should at least be enquiring in my view;

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/...f-other-clubs/
    100%
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely on Neil Balme
    Need To change up the assistant coaching as well
    We’ve been saying that for yonks

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would we have the balls to go after someone like Balme?
    I highly doubt it.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Two Metre Peter Wright. Can’t crack a game behind King as a forward and Witts in the ruck. He can play, and god knows we need some ruck depth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFill View Post
    Two Metre Peter Wright. Can’t crack a game behind King as a forward and Witts in the ruck. He can play, and god knows we need some ruck depth.
    Can he actually ruck?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Can he actually ruck?
    He’s better than Dunkley

8. Likes Doggy, Sedat, Dancin' Douggy, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2MP sucks.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna say more but feel like that’s a good summation.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Other than Pruess is there a ruckman our there?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post

Off the top of my head, the main areas of concern, in no particular order are:

1. Speed
    2. Small forwards (with natural goal sense and speed who can rove packs and apply pressure)
    3. A big bodied full back who can take the opposition monster forwards
    4. A ruckman who can work in tandem with Tim
    5. Players with decent foot skills
    6. Defensive mids
    I've decided my biggest two areas of concern are a ruckman who can work in tandem with English and a Defensive mid.

I've always believed that you control the ball at the source the rest of the game can flow. i.e no need for a gorilla defender if your midfield is doing their job.

Established ruckman there are not too many out there and with state leagues not active it may be doubly hard to nab one. The second issue is I'm not sure if the club sees the ruck as an issue.

What I found interesting is most clubs seem to have 3+ ruckman on their list. Two recognised ruckman and then one developing.

Out of Contract: Stefan Martin, Toby Nankervis, Mason Cox

In Contract: Reily O'Brien, Braydon Preuss, Darcy Cameron, Sean Darcy

Of the list above three stand out.

1) Toby Nankervis - out of contract, been in and out of the tigers team this year and has shown some ability up forward

2) Reily O'Brien - A Victorian boy, Crows have a long road ahead and from the limited vision I have seen is a competitive animal. Has played less games than English but he is ready to be either the number 1 ruck or at worst a suitable understudy.

3) Sean Darcy - A Victorian boy, out of contract 2022 - so we would need to pay overs. Seems your more traditional ruckman which doesn't appear to be in Beveridge game style.

The biggest problem in trying to get another ruckman who is already in the system to commit to us, is obviously our lack of interest in playing an actual ruckman!!

In conclusion I have wasted half n hour researching other clubs ruckman putting this post together.

PS - we should be offering Toby Nankervis a 3 year contract.

Post Thanks / Like

the ruck issue isn't a problem. We get JUH at the end of this year and Bevo has a ready made ruck who can go forward.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

If we chase a ruck, it needs to be someone who can also go forward/around the ground and be a threat.

The Saints (Marshall/Ryder), WC (NicNat/Allen), Geelong (Stanley & whoever), Richmond (Soldo/Chol/Nank), Brisbane (Big O/Martin when uninjured) all have flexible combos that puts whatever we're trying with English and his rotating cast of merry men to shame.

I'd pay up HUGE for Rowan Marshall. He & English would be an incredible combination. Sam Draper is another one that I really like. Both rookie picks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If we chase a ruck, it needs to be someone who can also go forward/around the ground and be a threat.

The Saints (Marshall/Ryder), WC (NicNat/Allen), Geelong (Stanley & whoever), Richmond (Sold/Chol/Nank), Brisbane (Big O/Martin when uninjured) all have flexible combos that puts whatever we're trying with English and his rotating cast of merry men to shame.
    I don't disagree but that is also our biggest problem. English isn't ready to play this role as the leading man. I seriously hope we have targeted Nankervis and already have him in the bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I don't disagree but that is also our biggest problem. English isn't ready to play this role as the leading man. I seriously hope we have targeted Nankervis and already have him in the bag.
    I can't see Bevo seeking out a first ruck only type, and while I rate Nankervis, he isn't going to give much anywhere else but in the ruck, and that's antithesis to the Beveridge method.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I can't see Bevo seeking out a first ruck only type, and while I rate Nankervis, he isn't going to give much anywhere else but in the ruck, and that's antithesis to the Beveridge method.
    Again, you are right and I referenced that earlier. We are playing the long game for sure.