Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  87
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Offseason recruiting priorities

We're all well aware of the gaping holes in our list. Each offseason gives us a chance to address some of these areas, but only so much, especially this year if list sizes will be cut. So what should our priorities be? Which areas should we address first and foremost? What type of players should we go after?

Off the top of my head, the main areas of concern, in no particular order are:

1. Speed
    2. Small forwards (with natural goal sense and speed who can rove packs and apply pressure)
    3. A big bodied full back who can take the opposition monster forwards
    4. A ruckman who can work in tandem with Tim
    5. Players with decent foot skills
    6. Defensive mids

2. Likes DOG GOD, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Offseason recruiting priorities

1. Speed
    2. X-Factor small forward
    3. Gorilla-tier lockdown defender for those monster forwards like Charlie Dixon

I think, that's all we need.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quality small forward and we once again should go all out for the best available.

Re. the gorilla full back we just aren't going to after one because this type of player is not on Bevo's to get list. Just have to start playing Lew Young. Similarly, we don't need another ruckman until we fully assess where Sweet is at.

While Vander and Smith's rise has addressed some of our speed issues we need speed inside the contest, an explosive speedy mid that unfortunately looks highly unlikely in the short term.

The focus should be to trade in best available small forward and look at drafting the best available speedy midfielder.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Quality small forward and we once again should go all out for the best available.

Re. the gorilla full back we just aren't going to after one because this type of player is not on Bevo's to get list. Just have to start playing Lew Young. Similarly, we don't need another ruckman until we fully assess where Sweet is at.

While Vander and Smith's rise has addressed some of our speed issues we need speed inside the contest, an explosive speedy mid that unfortunately looks highly unlikely in the short term.

The focus should be to trade in best available small forward and look at drafting the best available speedy midfielder.
    This^

I think the club has tried to address the speed issue to add to JJ, Richards with Smith, Vandermeer, Cavarra.

Another speedy midfielder would be handy
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Kelly and Tom Papley. Work backwards from those two as the mould.

8. Likes bornadog, DOG GOD, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This^

I think the club has tried to address the speed issue to add to JJ, Richards with Smith, Vandermeer, Cavarra.

Another speedy midfielder would be handy
    Yeah we're very one paced at the source and have to revert to flicking the ball around way too much to get it to the outside.

I agree Papley and Kelly are the right prototypes.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Similarly, we don't need another ruckman until we fully assess where Sweet is at.
    I agree that we won't chase a ruckman of any note, however assuming Tregove is gone at year end we surely need another young ruckman or state league type as insurance for English and Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah we're very one paced at the source and have to revert to flicking the ball around way too much to get it to the outside.

I agree Papley and Kelly are the right prototypes.
    I actually like Ainsworth from the Suns as a potential Papley. Only 22. Maybe doesn’t kick enough goals only 3 so far this season. But that type of thinking is what I hope we are doing.

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I agree that we won't chase a ruckman of any note, however assuming Tregove is gone at year end we surely need another young ruckman or state league type as insurance for English and Sweet.
    Agreed. I'd be looking at later picks or state leagues. Makes it difficult when we've essentially had a gap year in the VFL though. It will be a speculative pick I think purely for back up but I also wonder if Bevo even views three ruckman on the list as desireable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Josh Kelly and Tom Papley. Work backwards from those two as the mould.
    We have a few needs but I suspect we might just go hard at one player via free agency

It will be interesting to see who we might target
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We have a few needs but I suspect we might just go hard at one player via free agency

It will be interesting to see who we might target
    I like Sedat's thoughts on Williams, he is just what we need.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    1. Speed
    2. X-Factor small forward
    3. Gorilla-tier lockdown defender for those monster forwards like Charlie Dixon

I think, that's all we need.
    Likewise here

Post Thanks / Like

All, well most, of the X factor small speedy forwards are indigenous players. I know it's kind of wrong in a way to racially profile a 'type' like that but it seems to be true. We are screaming out for a Charlie Cameron type, and with JUH landing next year I really hope we're trying to address our lack of indigenous talent, and trying to find pace and X factor at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Can Smith be this guy?

I agree with the line of thinking that speed and a small forward are our most pressing needs.

Others will know more than me but I don't think we'll have much currency with draft picks this year as most of it will be going towards JUH and Raak. We might have to be shrewd at the trade table and target some moneyball free agents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    All, well most, of the X factor small speedy forwards are indigenous players. I know it's kind of wrong in a way to racially profile a 'type' like that but it seems to be true. We are screaming out for a Charlie Cameron type, and with JUH landing next year I really hope we're trying to address our lack of indigenous talent, and trying to find pace and X factor at the same time.
    Yeah we haven't had much luck in this regard lately. Missing out on Impey, then Wingard, then Martin but also having the Saints and Dees swoop in before us in the draft to grab Long and Pickett respectively. Long was the most annoying, especially seeing his progress now and knowing him well from Footscray.

20. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post