Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  87
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Offseason recruiting priorities

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    A playing role? He does seem keen to play on at this stage. Where would he fit in?
    He'd offer more than Lipinski or McLean, IMO. And worst case scenario he does fall off a cliff, he'd lead the kids at Footscray and would be a mentor for Marra.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's outside run your looking for, if you can get North to stump up part of his contract, I'd look at Polec.

Not at full price
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    If it's outside run your looking for, if you can get North to stump up part of his contract, I'd look at Polec.

Not at full price
    I couldn't do it. Just a team second type that will frustrate more than excite.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I couldn't do it. Just a team second type that will frustrate more than excite.
    Yep, apparently was dropped after the Carlton game, despite being one of the best, because he was asked to pick up Cripps and basically didn't bother.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, apparently was dropped after the Carlton game, despite being one of the best, because he was asked to pick up Cripps and basically didn't bother.
    I'm not sure why the coach would pick Polec to man Cripps rather than utilise his outside running to its fullest, but he obviously wanted him to do a job and he failed. If we're gunning for outside run, I'd be going all in on Williams.

Post Thanks / Like

Issac Smith is being mentioned again:
    Would cost nothing but is old and form hasn't been great this year. Could offer more than Suckling though?
    Perhaps a year late. He still has a bit to offer but he should have pushed for a move last year

With a reduction in list sizes a possible outcome it's going to make it hard for some players.
    He's been a very durable player and I don't think he has lost much of his dash either but you never know
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Disinclined to take on Smith given Vandermeer's progress.

If the Hawks are shedding veterans though let's offer them Schache + swap of picks if need be for Gunston.

Imagine the latter roaming high in the role we wish Schache could nail down but also being able to play deeper.
    Don’t understand everyone’s haste in wanting to get rid of Schache.

Bruce has come in and played 1 decent game. Apart from that he has made the forward line dysfunctional. Take out the good game and he hardly gets a kick.

Yet because he touched the ball in the ruck against Melbourne we overlook the problems.

Schache can have some bad games but his performances with us have eclipsed Bruce.

8. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post

Bruce has come in and played 1 decent game. Apart from that he has made the forward line dysfunctional. Take out the good game and he hardly gets a kick.

Yet because he touched the ball in the ruck against Melbourne we overlook the problems.

Schache can have some bad games but his performances with us have eclipsed Bruce.
    Same here, he still has plenty to offer
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Same here, he still has plenty to offer
    I don't doubt there's still plenty to work with there but being pragmatic, where does he fit once Ugle-Hagan's in the fold?

In the Gunston example I mentioned, he'd also be a logical target of interest from the other side.

Imagine the instant impact of 2-3 years of Gunston for a bloke who presently can't get a game.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I don't doubt there's still plenty to work with there but being pragmatic, where does he fit once Ugle-Hagan's in the fold?

In the Gunston example I mentioned, he'd also be a logical target of interest from the other side.

Imagine the instant impact of 2-3 years of Gunston for a bloke who presently can't get a game.
    This is the important part.

Schache is a proven performer with the Dogs. He had 13 games last year and kicked goals in 10. Multiple goals 7 times.

He was pretty close to being our most consistent forward. Last year he was getting goals at the same rate Wallis is this year.

Schache should be playing, purely based on what I have seen.

To save people from looking it up...

Wallis has had 13 games this year and kicked goals in 10. Multiple goals 5 times

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with sentiments Schache should be playing more games. One of the few who is a good kick for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Schache get a chance, then didn't bother showing up one day, and has been injured since and is just coming back?

I like him but you can't play him if he's injured.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Schache is a proven performer with the Dogs. He had 13 games last year and kicked goals in 10. Multiple goals 7 times.

He was pretty close to being our most consistent forward. Last year he was getting goals at the same rate Wallis is this year.

Wallis has had 13 games this year and kicked goals in 10. Multiple goals 5 times
    That may be but it's clear 'goal rate' isn't the sole measure of Schache's progress in the eyes of the match committee.

Regardless, I'm as willing as anyone to query the logic driving selection decisions but the question remains - is there room for Schache in a forward line that includes Naughton, Bruce & Ugle-Hagan?

If not, how else can we utilise him short of using him as a trading chip to make our team, y'know, better?
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Disagree with any comparison between Schache and Wallis.

8 of Schaches 13 H&A games last year were after the bye, second half of the season where we hit our straps and the majority of his multi goal hauls were in a winning side. The game against Collingwood last year he was fantastic, but outside that he was an ok player in a team in great form.

He has oodles of natural ability, and still has potential if he can address his flaws - but to date he is the epitome of a downhill skier.

Wally on the other hand has emerged this year as a natural leader and on field role model. His hardness, work rate and results have been outstanding - he has stood up multiple times against better opposition and provides more than scoreboard pressure.

I know the conversation isn’t Wally or shack - but the comparison around their impact/output doesn’’t stack up. Now against Bruce.... another matter - but also different type of player.

I’m not suggesting we move schache on, but I’m not surprised he isnt playing based on what I’ve seen him contribute of late.

16. Likes Axe Man, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That may be but it's clear 'goal rate' isn't the sole measure of Schache's progress in the eyes of the match committee.

Regardless, I'm as willing as anyone to query the logic driving selection decisions but the question remains - is there room for Schache in a forward line that includes Naughton, Bruce & Ugle-Hagan?

If not, how else can we utilise him short of using him as a trading chip to make our team, y'know, better?
    Can we put the expectations on Ugle-Hagan back into neutral? I think we are jumping the gun thinking he is suddenly best 22.
    More of an In Bruges guy?