Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW - Locked in for 2021

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW - Locked in for 2021

The Mongrel Punt gave their verdict on the AFWL Trade Period, rated us number 3:

THE SEVEN WINNERS OF THE AFLW TRADE PERIOD

#3 – Western Bulldogs

I wouldn’t mind a trade period where the Dogs don’t lose an excess of players. But to be perfectly honest, this was one trade period, where I felt as if they won more than they lost.

Losing both Aisling McCarthy and Hannah Munyard – both of whom are young players that are just starting to make names for themselves is a bit of a blow. But when you consider that the Bulldogs also picked up three draft picks in the first round – that’s good for a team that is currently in a rebuilding phase. Especially if it is three picks inside Victoria’s top 10, you can argue that the Bulldogs have an exciting future ahead of you.

The McCarthy deal to West Coast not only saw them pick up the 10th pick in the Victorian crop, but saw the Dogs ensure that they get the second pick in the Victorian draft, swapping picks 2 and 3 around with the Eagles.

I like the acquisition of Katie Lynch from Collingwood. A first-round pick back in the 2018 AFL Draft, Lynch only played one match in 2020 after playing all but one in 2019. At 179cm, she’s seen as a tall forward that can also provide an option in the middle. The Dogs don’t have many tall midfielders, so it will be interesting to see what Nathan Burke does with her in the new year.

4. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It appears our list management strategy is players with first names in the first half of the alphabet. I am surprised we traded and A and a H yet kept 2 Ns on the list. If your name is Zoe best look elsewhere.

6. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It appears our list management strategy is players with first names in the first half of the alphabet. I am surprised we traded and A and a H yet kept 2 Ns on the list. If your name is Zoe best look elsewhere.
    Great attention to detail Axeman. Your talent is wasted here. Go and knock on Sam Power's door.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunate to lose McCarthy. She played with intensity.

9. Likes Hotdog60 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Good to see we kept Bailey Hunt too - it's not a Bulldogs list without a Bailey on it!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Unfortunate to lose McCarthy. She played with intensity.
    Yes. I read it was more getting out of Victoria than leaving us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes. I read it was more getting out of Victoria than leaving us.
    She was house sharing with three other irish girls so thought that would have made it hard to leave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    She was house sharing with three other irish girls so thought that would have made it hard to leave.
    My understanding is that she is a physio and got a good job opportunity in WA (not sure if it's with the Eagles). I rated her really highly and thought she was our best player in at least 2 or 3 matches last season. Aisling Utri is also a significant loss.

Regardless I'm excited to see who we bring in through the draft. Every year the draftees seem to come in with improved skills and footy smarts, so adding another three highly rated young ladies will make us a better side.