Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  161
Page 39 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839404142434445 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R14 2020

PS anyone else sick to death of our injury luck?

We have one week where we’re all giddy with glee about our small injury list and then tonight happens. Sick. of. It.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...h-loss-to-cats

Bulldogs overrun in tough loss to Cats
    A gallant Bulldogs outfit couldn't withstand a late charge from Geelong, falling by 11-points on Friday night.

Geelong recovered from a 36-point deficit to defeat a gallant Western Bulldogs by 11 points at Metricon Stadium on Friday night.

The Bulldogs, who finished the game with two fit players on the bench after Laitham Vandermeer and Easton Wood succumbed to hamstring injuries, were overrun by the Cats in the last quarter.

Geelong kicked five goals to two in the final term to secure the win, including the last three of the game, after the Dogs held a 10-point lead at three quarter time.

The Bulldogs led for almost the entirety of the match after a scintillating opening, but the Cats hit the lead at the 19-minute mark of the final quarter when Tom Hawkins kicked truly from a set shot.

The loss leaves the Dogs with seven wins and seven losses after 14 rounds, ahead of a bye in Round 15.

Their finals destiny will be revealed in the last three games of the 2020 campaign, in matches against West Coast, Hawthorn and Fremantle.

Lachie Hunter kicked a goal and led the possession count for the Bulldogs with 27, adding 10 score involvements to be his team’s most influential player.

Jack Macrae (26 disposals) also found plenty of the ball, while Aaron Naughton booted two goals and took four contested marks.

Patrick Dangerfield was Geelong’s most consistent performer with 32 possessions.

The Bulldogs could do little wrong in the opening quarter, kicking six unanswered goals from individual sources as their pressure and ball movement proved too slick for their opposition.

From there though, the Cats gradually worked their way into the contest, reducing the margin to 18 points after kicking the only three goals of the second term, and to under two goals by the final change.

The teams went goal-for-goal early in a frenetic last stanza, until Geelong kicked clear in the final minutes.

MATCH DETAILS

Western Bulldogs 6.3 6.6 7.7 9.7 (61)

Geelong Cats 0.3 3.6 5.9 10.12 (72)

GOALS
    Western Bulldogs: Naughton 2, Dunkley, Crozier, Bontempelli, Liberatore, Richards, McLean, Hunter
    Geelong Cats: Hawkins 2, Miers 2, Rohan 2, Stanley, O’Connor, Dahlhaus, Duncan

BEST
    Western Bulldogs: Hunter, Daniel, Crozier, Johannisen, Macrae
    Geelong: Dangerfield, Stewart, Guthrie, Rohan, Parfitt, Henry

INJURIES
    Western Bulldogs: Vandermeer (hamstring), Wood (hamstring)
    Geelong: Tuohy (ribs)
    Oh we were gallant.

I suppose its change from "brave dogs"

Post Thanks / Like

PPS How on earth did JJ pull off that marvellous play in the 16 prelim? Because he is a dead set choking machine when under pressure

4. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I understand that Dangerfield was great tonight, and Bont wasn't. I understand that this year Bont has also been shown up in a game where Dusty dominated as well. I guess however, that tonight we and a number of player off their food tonight and we almost won. Geelong also had some players out and won, and some of their players were a bit down. Having said that I reckon our players being down had more of an impact as a result. If we make it I won't fear Geelong.
    These are good points and as I said earlier I'm sure when the red must lifts I'll have more clarity. Wasn't it you that said anything said in the game day thread is inadmissible?

This whole Bont v Danger thing started simply because I said Danger was phenomenal and there was just a tone deaf chorus of responses that said "yeah but we've got Bont". I never even brought him into the conversation (I think I didn't anyway. Red mist, remember).

I love Bont. It's almost unhealthy how much. But I do. If you asked me to pick who I'd rather have of the two, the answer is "not Dangerfield". Maybe it's cognitive dissonance I don't know, but he's my first picked every week.

But that doesn't change the fact that he isn't able to wilfully dominate a game like that. It was just so visible to me how much Dangerfield just wanted to win and he was reckless and steadfast in that.

You've mentioned a number of times how much being two down hurt us and I take that on board - it's very relevant in a hot game like that.

It would have just been so nice to win that though, right?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    PS anyone else sick to death of our injury luck?

We have one week where we’re all giddy with glee about our small injury list and then tonight happens. Sick. of. It.
    2017, or perhaps 18, it felt like we went down a man on the bench almost every week. It was ludicrous, at one point I am certain we copped those scenarios in games a cross a month straight. Injuries are bad, but injuries in game basically put us in a position where we can't win.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...ludes-bulldogs

Upset opportunity again eludes Bulldogs
    Despite recent spirited performances, the Bulldogs are still searching for an elusive win against an AFL premiership contender.

The Western Bulldogs will continue to believe they can have a strong say in the finals race, despite missing another opportunity to secure a precious win against an AFL premiership contender.

The Bulldogs led premiership fancy Geelong by six goals at quarter time of their Round 14 clash at Metricon Stadium on Friday night, but the Cats fought back to eventually win by 11 points.

It followed similar spirited showings against top four aspirants Brisbane and Port Adelaide recently.

As it stands, the Bulldogs haven’t been able to notch a win against a current top eight team so far in the 2020 season.

The Dogs will now likely need to win their remaining three games of the season against West Coast, Hawthorn and Fremantle, to claim a spot in the 2020 finals.

On Friday night Geelong worked their way into the contest after a goalless first quarter, taking advantage of a weakened Bulldogs outfit which lost speedster Laitham Vandermeer and experienced defender Easton Wood to hamstring injuries by half time.

“The loss will give us belief that we can beat the better teams. With a fully fit 22 for four quarters, I think we’re in business, but it hurt us in the end,” Dogs’ coach Luke Beveridge said after the game.

“Credit to Geelong. They fought their way back, as we expected them to.

“I’m really proud of the boys that they really made them fight. It’ll do us the world of good to know we can get that close.

“We won’t get down on ourselves. We’re still sniffing around. We’ll recover well and we look forward to the challenge against the Eagles.”

The loss of Vandermeer and Wood caused a re-shuffle of the Bulldogs’ system, and the extra workload took its toll in the final stages against a seasoned Geelong side.

“With the two down, we needed a number of players to spend a lot more time on the ground,” Beveridge said.

“You don’t quite get the intensity at times, and I think it told.

“We were defending admirably at times. It just ended up being too much.”
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefcep View Post
    right.. it had that ig effect from the first bounce of the second quarter we were gassed, is that it, because we chasing shadows from that point on....
    I think the only one on the gas is yourself
    Maybe have a lie down .

9. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Frustrating seeing Bont held so blatantly at the last handful of centre bounces and just ignored by the umpires.

Post Thanks / Like

So you've got you head in the sand as much as he has? Fine. You win. Enjoy your loser mentality.

As far "adjusting afterwards" is just not reality. When did this "afterwards" happen, exactly. We actually competed more in the last quarter than we did in qtr 2 and 3. How does that work if you're tired, exactly?

Its an absolute cop out that we lost it because of 2 injuries

Beveridge was out-coached and certain senior players need a blow torch put to them.
    Yeah, both me and an AFL coach have our heads in the sand.

The second we were disorganised or couldn't cope with the pressure, and we stemmed the tide afterwards. The third was an arm wrestle or sorts, the last opened up a bit but when it counted we couldn't run with the Cats. If you want to refute that summation go for your life as I couldn't really care.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to make us all feel better it was Geelong’s biggest quarter time deficit turnaround since 1931.

13. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Frustrating seeing Bont held so blatantly at the last handful of centre bounces and just ignored by the umpires.
    Absolutely it was, as it was watching them being allowed to throw the footy any time they liked.

But the only game I'll allow myself to really get pissed at the umpiring in terms of it impacting the game relates to 2009, but it seems that each time we face Geelong those feelings crop up again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    yeah, both me and an afl coach have our heads in the sand.

The second we were disorganised or couldn't cope with the pressure, and we stemmed the tide afterwards. The third was an arm wrestle or sorts, the last opened up a bit but when it counted we couldn't run with the cats. If you want to refute that summation go for your life as i couldn't really care.
    pfft

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Just to make us all feel better it was Geelong’s biggest quarter time deficit turnaround since 1931.
    That does not make me feel better.
    "It's over. It's all over."

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

pfft
    I guess that says it all.

Get you're angry and all after a loss but it's a complex game and fatigue plays a massive part in how close games wind up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    That does not make me feel better.
    Yeah but you're not quite the masochist GG clearly is.

20. Likes Grantysghost liked this post