Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  161
Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Geelong R14 2020

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Geelong have been a good team for a long period of time, what lessons can we learn from this?
    That they have maintained a strong core of senior players for a LOOOOONNNGGGGG time. Senior players who are true leaders, set high standards and insist that those come into the team uphold them. I am sure at some stage the likes of Selwood will retire...but I suspect that those who have followed behind him (and Taylor, and Hawkins et al) have learned what is required and how to do it.

Just like my "When you are no good you are no good" thread, the opposite also applies...eventually weight of talent (and numbers) takes a toll and short-cuts creep in, but until then...

Player leadership is the single most under-rated influencer in team performance in the AFL.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Topdog, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    That they have maintained a strong core of senior players for a LOOOOONNNGGGGG time. Senior players who are true leaders, set high standards and insist that those come into the team uphold them. I am sure at some stage the likes of Selwood will retire...but I suspect that those who have followed behind him (and Taylor, and Hawkins et al) have learned what is required and how to do it.

Just like my "When you are no good you are no good" thread, the opposite also applies...eventually weight of talent (and numbers) takes a toll and short-cuts creep in, but until then...

Player leadership is the single most under-rated influencer in team performance in the AFL.
    Can we replicate with Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Smith, Naughton, Wallis Etc. who all have the right leadership attributes and have plenty of football in front of them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Can we replicate with Bont, Macrae, Dunkley, Smith, Naughton, Wallis Etc. who all have the right leadership attributes and have plenty of football in front of them?
    Well. The difference is the Geelong crew are WINNING games...our guys are reinforcing standards of inconsistent performance...

If the group could get it's act together we could. Performances like those over the past 3-6 weeks (depending on your perspective - I think we've been pretty good recently) are certainly a step in the right direction...

Post Thanks / Like

In a catchup meeting the other day, (Business group) Chris Grant said The Bont has been a fantastic leader not only on the ground but in the Hub. Apparently has impressed everyone. He will grow even more over the coming years, but we have to play consistent football and win games in order to get any advantage from it.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In a catchup meeting the other day, (Business group) Chris Grant said The Bont has been a fantastic leader not only on the ground but in the Hub. Apparently has impressed everyone. He will grow even more over the coming years, but we have to play consistent football and win games in order to get any advantage from it.
    But what does being a 'fantastic leader' actually look like? And does it matter how good a leader you are in 'the hub' or any other situation if it isn't translating into wins? Being a 'model' leader is one thing but it takes all kinds - some of the more successful leaders in the history of the game haven't always done things in a way that others would think are 'fantastic'...but the results were there at the end of the year. Others successful teams had a pretty high 'ratbag' quotient but they were guys who understood that there was a line that couldn't be crossed 'off the field' (but they would have been holy terrors in a hub situation) however they were critical to onfield success...

I don't know. It's Bont's first year as skip - expecting him to lead the way as we are seems a little silly to me.

Post Thanks / Like

But what does being a 'fantastic leader' actually look like? And does it matter how good a leader you are in 'the hub' or any other situation if it isn't translating into wins? Being a 'model' leader is one thing but it takes all kinds - some of the more successful leaders in the history of the game haven't always done things in a way that others would think are 'fantastic'...but the results were there at the end of the year. Others successful teams had a pretty high 'ratbag' quotient but they were guys who understood that there was a line that couldn't be crossed 'off the field' (but they would have been holy terrors in a hub situation) however they were critical to onfield success...

I don't know. It's Bont's first year as skip - expecting him to lead the way as we are seems a little silly to me.
    We all know he is a wonderful young man and he seems to have the players right behind him. He fronts up to the camera's and the media in a very professional manner and I'm sure he will continue to develop and grow into the role of leading the players. We need to put a good group around him. Does it mean he addresses players who aren't knuckling down or when they are being distracted?
    Should a captain have a say in who gets selected or does he just lead the players picked on match day?
    It's an interesting question you pose

Wins aren't necessarily the measure of how good a captain is, to me that is how you measure the footy department
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Wins aren't necessarily the measure of how good a captain is, to me that is how you measure the footy department
    ...and that's fair enough.

I guess I feel part of the clubs 'story' for the year is the ascension of Bont from great player to great captain...and we have actually no idea how he is going in that role. They keep telling us he's great. But I don't think we know what they mean by great. I feel there is a bit of unrest in the playing group (no evidence, just a 'feel' watching them, playing the body language doctor) and I just think something is missing. What? Who? I don't know. I can't help but think that one of the key 'leaders' (probably an unofficial one - leaders are players who the others follow, not the people in the leadership group) isn't playing and is causing some disquiet.

I suspect it is Trengove (and further suspect the continued selection of an underperforming Bruce isn't helping things) but again, this is me just watching and feeling that something isn't quite right...

As an aside, I think our form has been pretty good for 6-weeks or so now...pretty good byt still not quite what it could be.

9. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I feel part of the clubs 'story' for the year is the ascension of Bont from great player to great captain...and we have actually no idea how he is going in that role. They keep telling us he's great. But I don't think we know what they mean by great. I feel there is a bit of unrest in the playing group (no evidence, just a 'feel' watching them, playing the body language doctor) and I just think something is missing. What? Who? I don't know. I can't help but think that one of the key 'leaders' (probably an unofficial one - leaders are players who the others follow, not the people in the leadership group) isn't playing and is causing some disquiet.

I suspect it is Trengove (and further suspect the continued selection of an underperforming Bruce isn't helping things) but again, this is me just watching and feeling that something isn't quite right...

As an aside, I think our form has been pretty good for 6-weeks or so now...pretty good byt still not quite what it could be.
    I know, I know crystal ball etc, but do you think we'd have performed better if Trengove played instead of Bruce the last 6 weeks?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think there is a potential that Trengove and Bruce might be distractions for the group because one isn't being played and the other is out of form? To me they both seem like charismatic types and for Trengove I suspect he might have some coaching ambitions so I would imagine he is very likely to maintain his positive disposition with our playing group. Still not picking players on form doesn't send the best of messages to the group

We've done OK and a bit better than that, not brilliant but certainly not bad.

12. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you think there is a potential that Trengove and Bruce might be distractions for the group because one isn't being played and the other is out of form? To me they both seem like charismatic types and for Trengove I suspect he might have some coaching ambitions so I would imagine he is very likely to maintain his positive disposition with our playing group. Still not picking players on form doesn't send the best of messages to the group

We've done OK and a bit better than that, not brilliant but certainly not bad.
    Yes he does, was coaching or helping coach the PEGS girls last season, and definitely has the desire to coach at a higher level.
    He was dropped from the leadership group wasn't he so I think what MJP says above could be possible.

Edit : He was coaching Strathmore senior women's in 2019.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yes he does, was coaching or helping coach the PEGS girls last season, and definitely has the desire to coach at a higher level.
    He was dropped from the leadership group wasn't he so I think what MJP says above could be possible.

Edit : He was coaching Strathmore senior women's in 2019.
    He's a natural for that and it's a shame that it probably won't be with us

Post Thanks / Like

Coaches votes were

Western Bulldogs v Geelong Cats

10 – Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
    6 – Lachie Hunter (WB)
    4 – Jed Bews (Geel)
    4 – Tom Stewart (Geel)
    2 – Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
    2 – Caleb Daniel (WB)
    1 – Gary Rohan (Geel)
    1 – Hayden Crozier (WB)

16. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaches votes were

Western Bulldogs v Geelong Cats

10 – Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
    6 – Lachie Hunter (WB)
    4 – Jed Bews (Geel)
    4 – Tom Stewart (Geel)
    2 – Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
    2 – Caleb Daniel (WB)
    1 – Gary Rohan (Geel)
    1 – Hayden Crozier (WB)
    Don't know how Bont gets votes?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Don't know how Bont gets votes?
    Why not?

He was held and scragged and almost every contest, but still was an influential player for us and I know who's game I preferred on Friday night between him & Macrae.

He doesn't need to get 25+ to be worthy of a vote and Bevo probably liked the way he dug in (he had 10 tackles) when things weren't going his way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Why not?

He was held and scragged and almost every contest, but still was an influential player for us and I know who's game I preferred on Friday night between him & Macrae.

He doesn't need to get 25+ to be worthy of a vote and Bevo probably liked the way he dug in (he had 10 tackles) when things weren't going his way.
    He had 3 disposals in the 1st and 2nd quarters, 2 in the third and 5 in the last. I thought others deserved a vote before him.