Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  111
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Hawthorn R17 2020

Ok, so we won, but we will have to play a better 4 quarter effort next week.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there something wrong with me? We win by six goals and I spent the second half shouting at the TV.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

3. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Take the win and move on to next week.
    If I knew we were going to be a man down for basically the whole game, I’d have taken a 6 goal win in a heartbeat.

5. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Is there something wrong with me? We win by six goals and I spent the second half shouting at the TV.
    Nah not you, a lot is riding on %. We took the foot off the pedal in the 2nd half. We got the 4 points and we have to win next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Freo have a good run of form and have a couple of taller targets up forward. Plus they have Fyfe and Walters.

We will have to play some very good football
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Hawks played really well in the second half. Put more folks around the footy and made it more difficult for us, which was to be expected given we were a rotation down.

There was no point in them doing anything other than to try and work us over at the coal face and I thought we did well to curtail it for most of the second half.

A lot of their goals came from us being a bit too fiddley and not killing the ball when we should have a few times.

If you had have put a six goal win on the table before the game I'd have taken it no problems. If you had have put it on the table after losing Toby I'd have taken it no problems.

Good result.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes merantau, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Definitely need a more even effort against a much better team. Last year we peaked slightly early hoping this year we start to peak in the finals but a solid 4 qtr effort is required next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Nope, nothing wrong with you at all.

I had some pretty colourful language going in the second half.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I thought the Hawks played really well in the second half. Put more folks around the footy and made it more difficult for us, which was to be expected given we were a rotation down.

There was no point in them doing anything other than to try and work us over at the coal face and I thought we did well to curtail it for most of the second half.

A lot of their goals came from us being a bit too fiddley and not killing the ball when we should have a few times.

If you had have put a six goal win on the table before the game I'd have taken it no problems. If you had have put it on the table after losing Toby I'd have taken it no problems.

Good result.
    As much as some of our 2nd half footy was underwhelming, Hawthorn had 10 shots at goal in a game of footy, we were good around the footy and we put ourselves in control of our own fate.

13. Likes jeemak, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Completely outplayed in the second half after being 40 points up in the first. Will be different story next week, Fremantle are a much better side and it is in my nature to tip them to win.

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from that 3rd quarter it was a good performance. Remember the hawks brought back some big bodies and experience so it’s wasn’t the same side that’s been belted the last few weeks and the side that the saints only squeaked past. They were pretty hard at the contest today.
    However that 3rd quarter we saw the same issues pop up and it’s down to our mids again. We were fumbling, reacting and not defending. It then put or defence under the gun. We need to reduce the amount of time this happens and then reduce the damage when it does happen. We’re getting better at it but not where it needs to be.

Aside from that it was a pleasing performance. English was excellent again, as was Bont and Daniel. Naughts was tremendous (got blocked off the ball 100 times again) and we got nice efforts across the board. I would say only Suckling is in the gun but with McLean going down he’ll stay in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    Completely outplayed in the second half after being 40 points up in the first. Will be different story next week, Fremantle are a much better side and it is in my nature to tip them to win.
    I’m heading that way. I think if Freo can break even in the midfield, I think their fwds will have a LOT of opportunities.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Woah, I've not noticed any glass half empty stuff from you to date...…..!

Post Thanks / Like

Something we need to be mindful of is that if we keep going backwards or diagonally backwards by hands we often give up fifteen to twenty metres in territory and quite often we have to bail out by foot anyway. The problem with this that the further you go back the more you exhaust your defencive players and the further towards the opposition goal you bring the contest up field once you do bail out by foot.

Bail out earlier and you still have numbers behind the footy and a turnover is less likely to torch you. It's a minor thing against the poorer sides, but a big thing against the good sides. Sometimes you just need to take the territory and reset, and we're not smart enough to do that oftentimes.

Post Thanks / Like

But, won by 36, so if we were completely outplayed that’s not too bad of a win then?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

20. Likes bornadog liked this post