Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  111
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Hawthorn R17 2020

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    But, won by 36, so if we were completely outplayed that’s not too bad of a win then?
    Completely outplayed for a four point deficit while a man down...…….
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Very happy with the win. Yeah so we could have won by more, who cares, we were to good for the Hawks.

Some good performances with the midfield dominating and English took another step forward with a couple of goals and very competitive in the ruck. Seem to tire in the second half a bit.

NOw let's beat Freo and play finals again.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it a good game to watch?

All I had was a crappy radio call because, lucky me, I get to watch Swans v Lions on FTA TV instead in Sydney.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    Completely outplayed in the second half after being 40 points up in the first. Will be different story next week, Fremantle are a much better side and it is in my nature to tip them to win.
    Now that I’ve calmed down a bit ... I don’t agree we were completely outplayed. They outscored us by four points. I thought we were a lot more fumble and used far too much handball. We missed a couple of very getable goals (again) and we were a man down for 90% of the game .
    Furthermore, in a rolling maul of a game, like this one was, there were just so many occasions where the ball just came out randomly and fell to the advantage of the Hawks more so than to our advantage.
    We have our fate in our hands. Good place to be. Let’s get the job done next week.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

All I had was a crappy radio call because, lucky me, I get to watch Swans v Lions on FTA TV instead in Sydney.
    Good enough, some nice passages of play. We should have won by 50 points plus
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Percentage was important but the not most important thing. The hawks definitely played with more intent in the second half and we just had to hold sway which we did. We already lost Toby so there was no point going helter-skelter and risking another injury. I'm happy with how we played as a whole. It would of been nice to build on our percentage but it wasn't to be.

Thats my glass half full take right there!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you know the club has a digital membership you can add on. It gives you AFL live so you can see all the games live.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

10. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Did you know the club has a digital membership you can add on. It gives you AFL live so you can see all the games live.
    Is that on phone and tablet only?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Is that on phone and tablet only?
    Yes, but there are way to cast to a tv
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

13. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some frustrating bits and pieces probably soured things a little. Firstly it became a bit choppy in the second quarter because we compressed the ground so well and matched that with pressure which meant Hawthorn's releases out of their defencive 50m were poor. This meant that we had repeat entries to a still compressed area of the ground and it was hard to get clean chances.

In the second half they were a bit better around the footy than they had been, and we were a bit fiddly with the footy which meant they got the upper hand sometimes. Couple that with some defencive lapses and general lapses in thought and it was a bit easier for them to score.

However, overwhelmingly positive day for us. We won by six goals and had some really good moments across the ground from all players at different times. By no means a perfect game, but more good than bad.

15. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good win. Fairly typical of our good days under Bevo and this season in particular.

Watch the first half and feel the cockles of your heart warm with the high energy, strong and controlled use of the footy. Players in their best positions, playing to strengths and benefiting off of each other's work.

Watch the second half for a few very good individual moments and the tell tale signs that we've run out of gas, lost concentration, or haven't adjusted to the oppositions reaction to our early dominance. The sort of stuff that looks awful when the effort isn't there, but OK if we're still plugging away, or the opposition doesn't cash in.

We were a man down for 75% of the game, given that I think this was a very good performance.

A few players threatening to hit some of their best form for the year. We're 5 wins from a flag. We'll win the lot from here.

17. Likes merantau, Twodogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Good win. Fairly typical of our good days under Bevo and this season in particular.

Watch the first half and feel the cockles of your heart warm with the high energy, strong and controlled use of the footy. Players in their best positions, playing to strengths and benefiting off of each other's work.

Watch the second half for a few very good individual moments and the tell tale signs that we've run out of gas, lost concentration, or haven't adjusted to the oppositions reaction to our early dominance. The sort of stuff that looks awful when the effort isn't there, but OK if we're still plugging away, or the opposition doesn't cash in.

We were a man down for 75% of the game, given that I think this was a very good performance.

A few players threatening to hit some of their best form for the year. We're 5 wins from a flag. We'll win the lot from here.
    Well I said we'd make a run in the finals to week two or three, after the Geelong loss, and I thought I was being pretty optimistic. You sir, are taking it to a new level.

Post Thanks / Like

You never really dominate any side for four quarters, regardless of ladder positioning. It happens but it's not common so I'm not surprised Hawthorn came back at us. They simply had to.

With a man down too, good result.

Next week is the big test.

20. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's be realistic, Hawks won the second half by 4 points - wow
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

22. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...nant-hawks-win

Bulldogs back in the eight after dominant Hawks win
    The Bulldogs were six-goal winners over Hawthorn at the Adelaide Oval.

The Western Bulldogs have moved into the top eight with one match remaining in the 2020 season, after a comfortable 36-point victory over Hawthorn at Adelaide Oval on Sunday.

If the Bulldogs can defeat Fremantle in Cairns next Sunday, they’ll confirm back-to-back finals appearances.

The win came at a significant cost, however, with Toby McLean suffering a serious knee injury early in the first quarter.

McLean kicked the first goal of the game after just 21 seconds, but shortly after his knee buckled underneath the weight of Hawks ruckman Jonathon Ceglar, and he was forced from the field on a stretcher.

The Bulldogs dominated the first half and led by 40 points at half time, before the Hawks lifted their intensity to limit the damage.

Caleb Daniel continued his brilliant season with a best afield performance, which included 28 disposals, 11 marks, seven inside 50s and a goal.

Five Bulldogs players registered 25 or more possessions – Daniel, Jack Macrae (29), Marcus Bontempelli (28), Tom Liberatore (28) and Bailey Smith (25).

Bontempelli was at his damaging best, particularly in the first half, and he finished with game-highs for inside 50s (eight), contested possessions (17) and clearances (11). Seven of those clearances came directly from the centre bounce.

Aaron Naughton was lively in the forward half, kicking two goals and taking six marks, while Jason Johannisen kicked two goals from the wing in the first half.

The Bulldogs constructed their win with a dominance inside and outside the contest. They won the contested possessions by 30 and uncontested possessions by 56, despite having 21 fewer hitouts.

They got off to the perfect start, kicking four of the first five goals, before booting the only three goals of the second term to establish a commanding lead.

The Hawks pegged the margin back to under four goals with plenty of time remaining in the final term, but the Bulldogs kicked the last two majors of the game to make sure of the four points.

MATCH DETAILS

Hawthorn 1.1 1.2 5.3 6.4 (40)
    Western Bulldogs 4.1 7.6 9.7 11.10 (76)

GOALS
    Hawthorn: Gunston 3, Breust, O’Brien, Wingard
    Western Bulldogs: Johannisen 2, English 2, Naughton 2, McLean, B.Smith, Wallis, R.Smith, Daniel

BEST
    Hawthorn: Breust, Shiels, Gunston, Cousins, Greaves, Morrison
    Western Bulldogs: Daniel, Bontempelli, Liberatore, English, B.Smith, Macrae

INJURIES
    Hawthorn: Nil
    Western Bulldogs: McLean (knee)
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"