Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  157
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WB Game Day V Fremantle R18 2020

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He could be back in a couple of weeks Easty.
    We do have a break so he might not miss at all.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    It was a strange, tense and exhausting night. At times it felt like things were against us. Often a series of magnificent smothers somehow resulted in them getting possession. Losing Naughton was really tough. Can the Kid take a trick?

Our defence didn't seem as cohesive, Wood's timing was out, and though I love Cordy tonight I could see why Comrade's opinion that he ain't much chop is held so steadfastly.

We had a dreadful start to the year and haven't had a whole lot of luck with injuries, but here we are, with another finals series to play in this strange old season. Go Dogs your endeavour this year has never been in doubt!
    With all due respect the endeavour was certainly in doubt a few times, but we have risen to the occasion enough time s to give us hope.

We now need maximum effort to win the next game 4 more time in 2020
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

3. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We do have a break so he might not miss at all.
    That's basically what I meant.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

We have won 5 of the last 6. Should have never lost to Cats after that start either. Our form line is good.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wally is fine, Naughton depressed cheek might need surgery should be fine

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...b7wlEKEF5PtLaU
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

8. Thanks Eastdog, Twodogs, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    We have won 5 of the last 6. Should have never lost to Cats after that start either. Our form line is good.
    I think it made a big difference to the team when Dunkley and Naughton came back from injury
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah I've had a couple of broken noses too. Hurts like buggery for a while but not the end of the world.

I'm not sure they will let him play these days though if it's a cheek. Maybe 20 or 30 years ago. Remember the egg on Libba's face in his last game? He played it out but nowadays the decision would have been taken out of his hands.
    I fractured my cheek bone a few years back playing local footy. The surgeon told me I could play again a week after surgery, as long as I felt comfortable - I was in my last year of uni and couldn't afford to miss placement, so stayed out for a few months - and even when I did come back I was very cautious.
    But I would suggest that surgery alone won't rule him out - I think it will depend on scheduling and how quickly they can get the operation done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I fractured my cheek bone a few years back playing local footy. The surgeon told me I could play again a week after surgery, as long as I felt comfortable - I was in my last year of uni and couldn't afford to miss placement, so stayed out for a few months - and even when I did come back I was very cautious.
    But I would suggest that surgery alone won't rule him out - I think it will depend on scheduling and how quickly they can get the operation done.
    When I was a kid my dad took me to learn how to box at a gym in Footscray run by a bloke called Ambrose Palmer. Ambrose played footy for Footscray as well as being a world rated boxer.

One day against Essendon he was sandwiched between two players and had his jaw, cheek and skull broken in 16 (SIXTEEN) places. He played again that year. I asked him about it once. He said "it was the depression and if you didn't play then you didn't get payed, no matter the reason. I had to put food on the table"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes Dry Rot, merantau, SonofScray, Eastdog, KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    When I was a kid my dad took me to learn how to box at a gym in Footscray run by a bloke called Ambrose Palmer. Ambrose played footy for Footscray as well as being a world rated boxer.

One day against Essendon he was sandwiched between two players and had his jaw, cheek and skull broken in 16 (SIXTEEN) places. He played again that year. I asked him about it once. He said "it was the depression and if you didn't play then you didn't get payed, no matter the reason. I had to put food on the table"
    Great story-thx for that Twodogs. Did you enjoy the boxing lessons?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome effort to dig ourselves out of a massive hole after round 2 and make it well done to everyone.

Even watching today I just think there is another gear to go with this team, we have so many things to improve on which is exciting and equally a frustrating at the same time.

I'm still concern about our lack of a hard edge, we need more of the boys to follow libba's lead, he had them on his shoulders for the majority. Its going to be very interesting how we approach week 1, we spoke about redemption over the summer lets see how much we have improved.

Has Naughty ran over a black cat? Its been an amazing effort for him to get back and contribute, let's hope he has one last effort in him.

Post Thanks / Like

That was a very mature performance against an in-form and well-drilled opponent. We played the game mostly on our terms from halfway through the 2nd qtr onwards. The most pleasing aspect in recent weeks is that we are getting important contributions from our notional bottom 6 compared to earlier in the year. We are also getting fantastic output from our guns.

We're not the finished article but we are a good team with the opportunity to become even better.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thrilled we put Melbourne out of the finals race. Revenge for 1987 & 2005.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    That was a very mature performance against an in-form and well-drilled opponent. We played the game mostly on our terms from halfway through the 2nd qtr onwards. The most pleasing aspect in recent weeks is that we are getting important contributions from our notional bottom 6 compared to earlier in the year. We are also getting fantastic output from our guns.

We're not the finished article but we are a good team with the opportunity to become even better.
    Thats a great summary Sedat, we really do have the foundations of a team that can be successful for the long term. Sometimes I have nfi what Bevo is doing but credit where its due his methods have galvanised the place and they really look a united group.
    Our attractiveness to free agents and players who want to have success just went up another notch too which is a brilliant outcome for our team. Credit to everyone involved, after a shaky start we are primed for another assault.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Great story-thx for that Twodogs. Did you enjoy the boxing lessons?
    Loved them. I can still hear old Ambrose saying "keep that left up. Any decent boxer will just walk around that defence and sit you on your arse"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It was a very interesting game tactically and quite cagey early between both sides. I think it was a great lead in for us with several areas of our game challenged, a few observations on that below

Daniel tagged again but this time from the start of a game where we had JJ also in a different role. I thought we looked a bit big down back without the influence from Daniel and JJ so to be able to adjust this was a good effort. The different methods we used to not only shake the tag but also ask questions of the opposition by setting up Daniel around the ball was also good to see. I don’t see many teams letting him run free going forward but Stkilda may given the attacking nature of some of their smalls.

The other watch out is to have a plan in place for the kick ins if Daniel and JJ move mid qtr, not 100% sure that Duryea and Williams were ready for the responsibility initially. Little things become huge things when plans are changed on the run and I have seen kick ins cost teams finals in these circumstances. Williams settled pretty well in the end,

The slow and methodical build up with the ball from Freo is not dissimilar to what we will face with Stkilda if we end up playing them. The tempo side of things and staying engaged in the contest and concentrating and being able to shift gears through a game is something that doesn’t come easily to young teams. It was a great sign that we were able to defend and then when the chance came to cause a spill or 50/50 our intensity was still there.

The well coached teams are really challenging their midfield groups about the balance around the contest against us. Freo really did this well early and sweated on our handballs from inside to outside and were then able to run away with it. Richmond and Brisbane did this well. I thought we lifted our own intensity in those situations and really just overwhelmed them after qtr time.

What we have done really well over the last 2-3 weeks is get more value from contested situations inside 50. I commented after the Geelong game that we need to pick better options with our backwards handballs inside 50 and be willing to snap on goal. Since then I think there has been a clear effort to release with a longer or wider handball and basically 1-2 handballs to space and then either a kick to a stationary target or a snap on goal. We scoring from these situations now instead of being tackled or smothered.

I felt we were too big both forward and back in the first qtr last night and had to juggle a few things around. I think the back half will take care of itself but we really need to find a way to get the ground level balance right in the forward half without McLean. Whether it is selecting an extra mid and rotating more heavily through the forward half or getting Vandermeer back I am not too sure. We are stuck with what we have for now.

Red time goals in Q1 and Q2 absolute killers. Cordy copped much of the criticism for one of them and rightly so but why did the first kick not go down the line with 50 seconds left? The second one we put in 2 or 3 smothers and then a mis-kick landed in their hands but we had a chance to exit the area earlier. It was just poor game awareness and cost us a 3 goal half time lead which could have killed it earlier.

Richards- Obviously a poor performance but the week before was his best front and square, genuine small forward role performance of the year. Playing in roles he isn’t suited to and we need that ground level pace so hard to be critical of him but the effort needs to be non-negotiable and so does basic footy smarts. There was a couple where he was our deepest player and it was clearly going to be a pressured kick coming in and he went backwards instead of at the ball.

Hunter- This guy is our most important player and has been for a long time. They seem to be starting him forward quite a bit since the Geelong game. He is just blowing teams up as the games wear on.

Crozier- No issue with his desperation but feel he has been down for a little bit now. Was worth a shot to swing him forward last night because he has been getting scored on and his intercepting has been down a little bit. Thought he showed some good signs later in the game and was starting to come off the back to receive again.

Williams- Thought he supported really well in the air last night. He has been horrible 1 on 1 recently but really timed his help well last night. He is one we need to protect from a match up perspective as he doesn’t turn as well as you would hope, likes the ball in front of him.

Keath- Really solid game in defence and while not devastating as a forward showed that he will definitely bring the ball to ground in that role. Clearly lacks a bit of craft in that area and cost himself two shots on goal by not coming back at the footy at the right time. Was important that we had him as a deep target with the wind but swung him back against the wind as the long kick was looking very dangerous in Q2.

Bruce- Clearly his stats are not great but you can sense over the last few weeks his timing is coming back and he is getting a bit leaner. He really seemed to have the wood on opponents last night but we could not get any 1 on 1 marking contests which is a real challenge for us. If it isn’t Naughton and Bruce flying together it is English (looks the most likely anyway), Keath or even Crozier getting in their space. On top of that it is stopping Wallis having space to workover his opponent. Forward mix is still a work in progress but it is progressing.

Duryea- Still finding form and fitness but always thought we are a better side with him up and running. Good organiser and decent distributor who understands the ebbs and flows of a game.

Lipinski- Much better from him, I think all we need to see is the effort around the ball with him and the rest tends to fall into place.

Wallis- Really fine line with him on whether to go straight at his marks or look for body contact. Probably felt for body a few times last night where he already had created separation on his initial lead or push. Our kicking needs to get better to him as well in my view, we absolutely cooked him a few times.

Bailey Smith- Not sure what he was doing early last night but we lacked some spread and burst from congestion without his influence. As soon as he got his hands on it things started to open up.

Bont- The slippery conditions hurt him the most in my view. Look at his stats for the day games so far. He tends to try to change direction really quickly and loses his footing or cant pick up cleanly. When its dry he uses his long limbs and dexterity to get free from congestion on the move. It is only a minor thing but it just stops him getting those really damaging plays as often.