Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 things you have learned - RD 12 v Adelaide 2020

1. The coach still refuses to rate rucks (I didn't learn today but it was certainly confirmed)

2. Our forward line is so much better when there is a genuine threat for the high ball.

3. The commentary (actually David King) can in fact add something when they try to tell us things that you might miss from the couch.

Highlighting the work rate of Hunter for his goal was terrific and also later a highlight on Bailey Smith showing just how hard they work. These are things that we might struggle to pick up from the basic coverage.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

1. There’d be 17 people who’d like Naughton in the back line . They coach the other 17 teams
    2. King’s commentary, I actually Thought be brought something to the table
    3. We just have to improve our defending of D50 transition. It resembles a thorough fare to often

Post Thanks / Like

1. Adelaide are poor. They have some good players, but no consistent system. The do move the ball well from defence.

2. Naughton is a hard match up when he is in full flight

3. Mitch Wallis does get the kicking yips - that said he was still involved setting up a number of goals. Had an impact whilst not hitting the scoreboard. Nice to see others in the forward line step up today.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Naughton is going to be a wrecking ball as he matures
    2. Libba is a man after my own heart, his hands are beyond elite
    3. We still have some coaching problems
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

1. We really missed Naughton more than I thought. Even though Adelaide are rubbish and it's hard to get a read on, Naughton kicked 6 goals on Talia, a seasoned key defender. It felt like 2019 again when we were flying....but yeah its Adelaide

2. Our defensive structures are broken. I thought maybe it was just against.the better teams. I'm not sure how exactly because our back 6 stood up and defended well except for the quick transition. If the opposition move the ball quickly they always get numbers behind our lines are we too slow by foot? Are we too slow to react and read what's unfolding up the field? Are we defending too high? Does our game plan require too many numbers and we leave the defense exposed? Not sure what's not working but even Adelaide worked their way through too easily at times.

3 Josh Bruce may not be the right bloke for us. Without him our forward line felt less congested.....but yeah it was only Adelaide

6. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    3 Josh Bruce may not be the right bloke for us. Without him our forward line felt less congested.....but yeah it was only Adelaide
    Is that necessarily his fault?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    2. Our defensive structures are broken. I thought maybe it was just against.the better teams. I'm not sure how exactly because our back 6 stood up and defended well except for the quick transition. If the opposition move the ball quickly they always get numbers behind our lines are we too slow by foot? Are we too slow to react and read what's unfolding up the field? Are we defending too high? Does our game plan require too many numbers and we leave the defense exposed? Not sure what's not working but even Adelaide worked their way through too easily
    This one is difficult one for me. There seem to be three common scenarios:

- Our defensive press is too high before we even get the ball deep into our 50 - a turnover around our 50 arc and we are back peddling to chase guys running into open goals.

- against in form key forwards all our players run for the spoil - essentially to the same spot and when the ball comes to ground the attacking team has the momentum to run with the ball into goal

- we put too much emphasis on controlling a hot footy, lots of handballs to try and get a player free rather than quick long kicks out - not always the answer as it can come back in but particularly in wet conditions we’ve still relied on this style

(Not commenting on errors. They should be very minimal)

9. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Naughton may rival the King brothers as the best young KPF in the game. How quickly we forgot

2. Bailey Smith with 800m+ gained. Another pre-season and he will be special

3. We look like world beaters against sub-standard opposition.
    Adelaide could realistically win the next 3 spoons. Walker and Kelly have one more year of a big contract to go, Sloane has 3 more years of a big contract. Based on cap + culture, they won't attract any player who could help turn the ship around. Their kids look well behind their draft peers which indicates their entire system is flawed. If we really want McAsey, or Atkins, or almost anyone from their list - they're gettable.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes GetDimmaBack, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree on McAsey but would rather he stay where he is for a while to develop, on what I have seen looks a mile off it at the moment which is understandable.Grab him in a couple of years with 30 odd games under his belt and the Crows are still poo, Keath like scenario.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Nothings changed, we still look great against weak opposition with no pressure applied. Great at running hard offensively, and poor the other way. Even Adelaide scored several times in a row from the defensive end in concession. The difference when we play top teams is that they continue that trend for the entire quarter.

2. Bont turned a small win into a good win single handedly with his work and pressure in the middle.

3. Surely Lewis Young is a better option to replace Zaine Cordy than Gardner is. No doubt we will make McDonald and Weidemann look like elite forwards this week.

14. Likes Bullies, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Lachie ain't going nowhere.
    2. Naughty stays forward, forever.
    3. Daniel Talia has been going backwards since he "misplaced" his mobile phone a few years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Naughton at FF for the next eternity. Keep Bruce at CHF. Naughton is suited for the forced bombs with his contested marking.

2. Richards looks much better off half back but still has room to improve.

3. We missed Hunter.

BONUS
    - Gardner cannot play in this side ever again. Looked lost against the bottom side. Bring in Trengove for McDonald.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarnTheScray View Post
    1. Naughton at FF for the next eternity. Keep Bruce at CHF. Naughton is suited for the forced bombs with his contested marking.

2. Richards looks much better off half back but still has room to improve.

3. We missed Hunter.

BONUS
    - Gardner cannot play in this side ever again. Looked lost against the bottom side. Bring in Trengove for McDonald.
    Bruce is not a long kick is he? I thought he struggled for distance and that significantly impacted his accuracy. I think he has to stay near the goals.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Bruce is not a long kick is he? I thought he struggled for distance and that significantly impacted his accuracy. I think he has to stay near the goals.
    Does he get enough of the ball to know if he is a long kick?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post