Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  147
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 16 Vs Eagles 2020

In honesty though, if we lose it will likely be because our midfield isn't on and our forward line is dysfunctional as a result.

Every time from viewing on TV...which I know is difficult, it's just so clear that as soon as we take the forward movement/ pressure away from the source or difficult areas our defence just gets too compressed and bombarded and eventually cracks.

If we don't crack we get it half way, and everyone is out of position because the system has broken down.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    YUGE if true. They did appear to be managing him with a proppy leg at various stages during the Essington game.
    Natanui and McGovern (potentially) on top of Shuey (definitely) has to make this mountain significantly more climbable.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/wes...ng-b881657411z

West Coast marking machine Jeremy McGovern in doubt for Western Bulldogs clash due to ankle injury

West Coast defender Jeremy McGovern is in doubt for Sunday’s clash with the Western Bulldogs with an ankle injury.

McGovern, who has already missed five games this season through injury and suspension, has been listed as a test.

The four-time All-Australian has only a five-day break to shrug off swelling after rolling his ankle against Essendon on Tuesday night.

Ruckman Nic Naitanui is in the frame to be rested, however spearhead Josh Kennedy and fellow forward Jake Waterman are both on track to return against the Bulldogs.

It will be 10 days since Kennedy suffered a concussion against Richmond, while Waterman has missed the past four games with a broken hand.

West Coast football operations manager Craig Vozzo said McGovern would be given “every opportunity” to get up.

“Gov turned his ankle in the course of the game, fell awkwardly, played out the game really well and probably has recovered better than we anticipated actually in terms of swelling and movement,” Vozzo said.

Naitanui, seen as vital to the Eagles’ premiership hopes, said he expected to be rested amid the Eagles’ hectic schedule of five games in 19 days.

The Bulldogs shape as the logical opponent for him to miss, given their ruck struggles and the use of 190cm midfielder Josh Dunkley in the ruck.

“My time for a rest will come up in the next couple of games for sure,” Naitanui told 6PR.

“I’ve been saying no, I don’t need a rest. But we’re looking beyond that.”

Tom Hickey could step in for the first time since round four or West Coast could opt for youngster Bailey Williams to lead the ruck with support from Oscar Allen.

Captain Luke Shuey has been ruled out for the rest of the regular season with his two hamstring strains, however fellow on-ball star Elliot Yeo is now targeting a return against North Melbourne in round 18.

It would give Yeo an important tune-up ahead of the finals, having not played since round 11 due to a groin issue.

“Elliot is tracking well. He is probably looking now at a build into the North Melbourne game,” Vozzo said.

“He was complaining a lot on the track yesterday with all the running and aerobic work he had to do, which is a really good sign for Elliot. It means he’s closer to playing for us.”

Speedster Jack Petruccelle is likely to be available for the round 17 clash with St Kilda next Thursday following a serious hamstring injury, while the club is hoping big man Nathan Vardy would be available for the first final if required following successful surgery on a serious cork.

Vozzo said Kennedy only had to “tick off” the captain’s run on Saturday before being declared ready to return.

“Josh is tracking really well. His test results post-concussion were actually very good in the first few days post the incident itself,” he said.

“But we wanted to take a quiet path and more conservative path for Josh and we’re all glad we’ve done that.

“He’s feeling a lot better. He trained the house down yesterday with our rehab group, expect him to be available.”

Post Thanks / Like

And no Yeo. We have no excuses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    And no Yeo. We have no excuses.
    We couldn't be catching them at a much better time could we?
    This has to provide us with a great opportunity.

Dogs by 16 points
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    If we lose to WC (and we might) Nic Nat will have nothing to do with it. If we lose it will be because we repeatedly kick the ball to McGovern, Barrass and Shepherd. Richmond kept them to (I think) 3x intercept marks for the game...if we don’t learn from this and do our usual ‘kick it to the fat bloke’ then we will lose. If we have learnt our lesson then we will win no matter what Nic Nat does.
    That seems...not right.

Our main issue last week (other than opting to possess the ball over moving the ball) was our ruckman getting monstered by noted muscled up adonis Rhys Stanley around clearances by virtue of our ruckman not being a ruckman at 50% of stoppages. How will that look against the most effective ruckman in the league?

Navigating the Eagles defence, who are the best in the world, is obviously key but Nic Nat having nothing to do with it? I think that's oversimplifying it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Navigating the Eagles defence, who are the best in the world, is obviously key but Nic Nat having nothing to do with it? I think that's oversimplifying it.
    Fair. But to me when you are preparing it is naive to think you can take away EVERYTHING an opposition does or solve EVERY problem. Realistically we can't solve the problem that is Natanui because we don't have a suitable opponent for him and it isn't as if you can go 3rd up etc.

The old adage still applies though - "Don't get beat by what you know".

- Don't kick it to McGovern (et al)

If I was to add something else:
    - Make sure Darling and Liam Ryan are given 'serious' opponents (aka - play on your man, let's not just do the whole "we'll work together and it will all be ok" thing). If we lose because Brendan Ah Chee kicks 7, well, you can't do much about that. But if Darling and Ryan get us, I will be most displeased.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Fair. But to me when you are preparing it is naive to think you can take away EVERYTHING an opposition does or solve EVERY problem. Realistically we can't solve the problem that is Natanui because we don't have a suitable opponent for him and it isn't as if you can go 3rd up etc.

The old adage still applies though - "Don't get beat by what you know".

- Don't kick it to McGovern (et al)

If I was to add something else:
    - Make sure Darling and Liam Ryan are given 'serious' opponents (aka - play on your man, let's not just do the whole "we'll work together and it will all be ok" thing). If we lose because Brendan Ah Chee kicks 7, well, you can't do much about that. But if Darling and Ryan get us, I will be most displeased.
    It's a shame Wood is out as he loomed as a good matchup for Ryan. That leaves Crozier? I'm not sure who else can go with him in the air. Although if we are allowing him free run and jumps at the ball it probably won't matter who is on him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's a shame Wood is out as he loomed as a good matchup for Ryan. That leaves Crozier? I'm not sure who else can go with him in the air. Although if we are allowing him free run and jumps at the ball it probably won't matter who is on him.
    Cordy is a decent match up for Ryan, IMO. He seems much more comfortable 1 on 1 when he has the height/strength advantage.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cordy is a decent match up for Ryan, IMO. He seems much more comfortable 1 on 1 when he has the height/strength advantage.
    Yeah but West Coast are likely to have what 3 or 4 tall forwards? Cordy will have to play on one of those I would expect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Yeah but West Coast are likely to have what 3 or 4 tall forwards? Cordy will have to play on one of those I would expect.
    Keath will take Kennedy (if he plays) and Gardner will probably get Darling (yikes). I honestly don't know what you do with Allen but that's a horrible match up for Cordy.

It's a conundrum, for sure.

My plan: retain the ball and keep WC inside 50s to less than 20. Simple.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Keath will take Kennedy (if he plays) and Gardner will probably get Darling (yikes). I honestly don't know what you do with Allen but that's a horrible match up for Cordy.

It's a conundrum, for sure.

My plan: retain the ball and keep WC inside 50s to less than 20. Simple.
    I'd think Cordy would get Darling and Gardner would get Allen, which is still yikes given how much Allen likes the ball in the air and Gardner apparently likes lying face first on the ground.

You know who's good in the air and would be better size match up for Allen? Lewis Young. What ever happened to that guy.

Post Thanks / Like

The longer a Bulldogs player is not in the seniors, the better he gets.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The longer a Bulldogs player is not in the seniors, the better he gets.
    I’ve been nothing if not consistent on wanting Young in the team over Gardner.

Post Thanks / Like

a=t⁰ x p(a) / m
    (a)bility = (t)ime out of seniors x (p)revious ability divided by lack of (m)entions in scratch match reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’ve been nothing if not consistent on wanting Young in the team over Gardner.
    Be nice to see some communication regarding where he is at that's for sure.