Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 17 Vs Hawthorn 2020

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    I disagree with Bevo's tactics of keeping a young player on the bench for a significant amount of time. How does that help development?

If he is not good enough don't play him the first place or else he has to continue to learn on the field surely.
    This is (of course) fair enough but it isn't a development league.

If it's the last quarter of a critical game in the context of the AFL season, surely the coach has the prerogative to make sure the 18 he has on the ground are the 18 he WANTS on the ground. Sometimes you simply lose trust in a player and whilst they are out there you get stressed out about it to the detriment of other more important things.

As long as he was part of a rotation earlier in the game (he was) then what else can he do? Basketball coaches always finish with their so-called 'closing line-up'...maybe last week Hayes wasn't part of that.

Surely this is allowed right??? Surely we trust the coach to develop relationships that can withstand stuff like this???
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

If it's the last quarter of a critical game in the context of the AFL season, surely the coach has the prerogative to make sure the 18 he has on the ground are the 18 he WANTS on the ground. Sometimes you simply lose trust in a player and whilst they are out there you get stressed out about it to the detriment of other more important things.

As long as he was part of a rotation earlier in the game (he was) then what else can he do? Basketball coaches always finish with their so-called 'closing line-up'...maybe last week Hayes wasn't part of that.

Surely this is allowed right??? Surely we trust the coach to develop relationships that can withstand stuff like this???
    If its a critical game why play him in the first place if you don't trust him? What did Bevo learn about Hayes that he didn't know going into the game?

I'm not sure Josh has recovered from being sent back to the car with his mum to get warm before the game has ended. Poor coaching in my world.

Post Thanks / Like

If its a critical game why play him in the first place if you don't trust him? What did Bevo learn about Hayes that he didn't know going into the game?
    It appears likely he learnt he couldn't trust him when the chips were down in this must win game. Or he may have learnt that he was tight and at too big a risk of injury if he stayed on the field. In either case these were things he didn't or couldn't know before the game. In our case we will likely never know if either of the above is true. What we do know is that whatever the reason, Bevo believed it gave the team the best chance of winning, perhaps at the expense of Hayes' development, perhaps not. Given the importance of the game and the fact that we did win, despite our goal kicking, I'm also fine with the decision.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

5. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure Josh has recovered from being sent back to the car with his mum to get warm before the game has ended. Poor coaching in my world.
    Poor coaching or poor recruitment? I didn't watch the Carlton game, but if a guy can't do what he is supposed to do the way the coach wants him to do it why should the coach continue to invest? Management of a team is about trust. Trusting the performance of players/team members. Josh/Will/Billy/Bailey/Sam/Suckers/Lippa have all been in and out of the team for a reason.

7. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree totally. We are in the "big boys long pants" league. No time for hurt feelings or playing equal minutes for every player. Finals abound.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We won, didn’t we? We held out in the end. Seems the right guys were out there.

I’d personally much prefer to win than, maybe, develop Hayes a little teeny bit more. It’s the AFL. Results matter.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If he isnot playing well in the game, why should he go back on?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Ross Lyon on Footy Classified last night admitted to subbing a player that wasn't injured in the first half on several occasions. He once subbed Nick Suban out 10 minutes into the second quarter because he wasn't happy with him. Coaches gotta coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I don't mind benching a bloke for the quarter if he's not up to it. Must feel like crap for the player though, but it's professional sport and winning is what it's all about.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what he learned. I thought Hayes played well the previous week BUT I don't know what he had been asked to do. Maybe what I saw is what kept him in the team "He did x" but the coach still had a "But he still isn't doing y" misgiving about it...

I 100% agree with your point about player confidence, but to the first line in my post - The AFL is not a development league. If he didn't want Hayes out there then he did the right thing!

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone surprised that we took away our rotation advantage though? Hayes or not aside, in a tight game I'm surprised we did that.

Post Thanks / Like

As seasons go on, Bevo/MC's unpredictable way become clearer. I am guessing...

In: Lipsinki, Suckers
    Out: Hayes, Roarke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Is anyone surprised that we took away our rotation advantage though? Hayes or not aside, in a tight game I'm surprised we did that.
    But it isn't a rotation advantage if one of the players is not playing to the plan...it is a rotation DISadvantage...

You all need to be pulling the same way in a tight game!

Post Thanks / Like

But it isn't a rotation advantage if one of the players is not playing to the plan...it is a rotation DISadvantage...

You all need to be pulling the same way in a tight game!
    Yeah fair point. You just hear so much about rotations and their importance, and the coaches were pretty vocal against capping them. I found it a little odd. To be honest I didn't even realise until I read it on here he wasnt playing it was too nerve racking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Yeah fair point. You just hear so much about rotations and their importance, and the coaches were pretty vocal against capping them. I found it a little odd. To be honest I didn't even realise until I read it on here he wasnt playing it was too nerve racking.
    I didn't notice Hayes wasn't playing in the same way I didn't notice Richards was playing.

21. Likes Mantis, Grantysghost liked this post