Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  29
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Always Right Match Committee - Round 17 Vs Hawthorn 2020

I watched the last quarter again last night. Couldn't see myself watching the first three quarters again though!

Reality is, we snuck in against an eagles team without Hurn, NicNat, Yeo and Shuey. I'm fairly sure that is 4 all australians (or if they haven't all been, then certainly all AA calibre). Extremely fortunate to get them when we did, and that our poor conversion didn't cost us.

Bruce won't get dropped.

So I'd probably look at;

Lipinski in for Hayes - because Lippa is a better player.
    West in for Lloyd. I just think we should be playing West, and Lloyd isn't setting the world on fire.

If Duyrea is ready to go, then I have no probs with him coming in for R.Smith. But good on Roarke for taking the chance and kicking that clutch goal. He does have some attributes Roarke....I don't think he has shown he is up to AFL level, but I can see why the coach wants to see.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Schache for Lloyd play him high or even on a wing?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Out: Lloyd
    In: West

Agree if Duryea ready him for Roarke smith, otherwise this week - and with 1st qtr aside - I saw effort and a lift in form across the ground and most deserve to retain IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I watched the last quarter again last night. Couldn't see myself watching the first three quarters again though!

Reality is, we snuck in against an eagles team without Hurn, NicNat, Yeo and Shuey. I'm fairly sure that is 4 all australians (or if they haven't all been, then certainly all AA calibre). Extremely fortunate to get them when we did, and that our poor conversion didn't cost us.

Bruce won't get dropped.

So I'd probably look at;

West in for Lloyd. I just think we should be playing West, and Lloyd isn't setting the world on fire.

If Duyrea is ready to go, then I have no probs with him coming in for R.Smith. But good on Roarke for taking the chance and kicking that clutch goal. He does have some attributes Roarke....I don't think he has shown he is up to AFL level, but I can see why the coach wants to see.
    I re-watched the last quarter as well. It was an arm wrestle for sure.

I don't think West is right yet so it would be Suckling for Lloyd and Duryea for Smith. Do we stick with Hayes for another week?

Unfortunately I agree Bruce will be persevered with no matter what
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little surprised by all the calls for Lloyd to be dropped. Apart from the brain fade set shot snap what did he do wrong in that game? I thought he was far from our worst. If he goes back and kicks a conventional set shot he probably ends up with 2 goals, he had 2 tackles inside 50, 6 score involvements and 4 inside 50s. I thought he did his job.

We need more natural forwards who can kick goals, not fewer. I certainly wouldn't want to see him replaced with West or Suckling who are not these things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I re-watched the last quarter as well. It was an arm wrestle for sure.

I don't think West is right yet so it would be Suckling for Lloyd and Duryea for Smith. Do we stick with Hayes for another week?

Unfortunately I agree Bruce will be persevered with no matter what
    Are you happy with Richards 5 disposals?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

Bruce won't get dropped.

So I'd probably look at;

I don't even know whether I should be positive after that game given the players WC were missing! Stoked we won, but almost think we took a backwards step due to how sloppy we were forward of centre and that we kicked about 5,000 behinds.

Roarke was actually OK and would be stiff to lose his place, though I think we need to get some game time into both Suckling and Duryea if both are fit - but possibly not both at once. With that in mind I'd like to see:

In - Duryea, Suckling/ Lipinski
    Out - Smith, Hayes

Bruce willed himself to an overall positive impact on the game in the end - just. He's been fortunate not to have been dropped thus far though I'm hopeful he can build on last night's performance.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I'm a little surprised by all the calls for Lloyd to be dropped. Apart from the brain fade set shot snap what did he do wrong in that game? I thought he was far from our worst. If he goes back and kicks a conventional set shot he probably ends up with 2 goals, he had 2 tackles inside 50, 6 score involvements and 4 inside 50s. I thought he did his job.

We need more natural forwards who can kick goals, not fewer. I certainly wouldn't want to see him replaced with West or Suckling who are not these things.
    Agree with you Axe Man. I'm not Lloyd's biggest fan but he does seem to know where the goals are - a rare trait in our forward line this year. Six score involvements is a significant contribution too (I think match-high was 8?)

Bruce improved over the course of the game to play a handy role in a few scoring chains, and clunk some good contested marks (albeit giving the ball back soon afterwards). In a terrible season for him I think we have to look on the bright side with this game.

Ordinarily I think the MC would look for a few changes after this game, but in the context of now being in the frame for finals if we win the next two, a more settled approach seems likely. One change for me -

Out: Hayes
    In: Duryea
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not at all, I've been asking the question of him a number of times this season. For some reason he's another of the 'hard to explain' players in our 22 each week. Perhaps he is trying hard
    I think there should be 4 changes but we won the game so that is very unlikely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

While you are probably right I just can't believe an experienced player didn't play the percentages and go back and take the set shot in the first quarter.
    We will never set a standard if we are willing to accept that. Our goal kicking was woeful last night and had we lost the game by a couple of points I think there would be a stronger focus on the missed opportunities from players like Lloyd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    While you are probably right I just can't believe an experienced player didn't play the percentages and go back and take the set shot in the first quarter.
    We will never set a standard if we are willing to accept that. Our goal kicking was woeful last night and had we lost the game by a couple of points I think there would be a stronger focus on the missed opportunities from players like Lloyd
    I can't accept this round the corner business when you are dead in front.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd strongly consider Schache. We need somebody to lead up to the pill and create space. For all his flaws, the things he does well would be handy now because our forward half is pretty stagnant and struggles at opening up the ground. Realistically we don't need Lloyd when we have Wallis, Schache would be just as effective at a base level and has a much higher ceiling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'd strongly consider Schache. We need somebody to lead up to the pill and create space. For all his flaws, the things he does well would be handy now because our forward half is pretty stagnant and struggles at opening up the ground. Realistically we don't need Lloyd when we have Wallis, Schache would be just as effective at a base level and has a much higher ceiling.
    Lloyd was far worse on the replay than he was in the initial viewing. I'd agree with this change but acknowledging we are playing a deadly game picking a guy known for a lack of intensity in what is essentially an elimination final.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Lloyd was far worse on the replay than he was in the initial viewing. I'd agree with this change but acknowledging we are playing a deadly game picking a guy known for a lack of intensity in what is essentially an elimination final.
    Care to elaborate? Genuine question. I don't feel like subjecting myself to that game again so I'm interested in what you and anyone else think his shortcomings were last night (other than the obvious missed shot).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What I couldn't quite tell, was who Richards was playing on most of the time. Was Richards going around with Jetta, O'Neill or Ah Chee? None really had much of an impact (nor did Richards).