Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

A time for reflection, understanding and celebration

link

The AFL’s annual Sir Doug Nicholls Round provides a chance for us all to stop and reflect.

Given the global and national environment we have been confronted with in recent times, this round allows us to reflect on the undeniable impact Indigenous Australians have had on our great game, and more broadly on our country.

Without them, Aussie Rules would simply not be the same. In fact, the game and its origins are anchored with Australia's First Peoples.

The on-field deeds of the League’s Indigenous stars naturally come to mind first. Their flair, speed and athleticism has put footy fans on the edge of their seats for generations.

The Bulldogs have had their fair share of Aboriginal talent represent the Club over the years – think of Michael McLean, the Indigenous Team of the Century member and All-Australian of the 80s and 90s, and more recently of Jarrod Harbrow, Liam Jones, Josh Hill and Brett Goodes.

What’s become even more profound over the last decade, however, is the work the AFL and its clubs have done in creating a greater knowledge and understanding of Australia’s First Peoples - the oldest living culture in the world.

To find the right path forward, we have to understand what has come before us.

The Western Bulldogs are very committed to that cause.

The Club is into the third year of its inaugural Reconciliation Action Plan, established so it could play a part in implementing and measuring practical actions which build respectful relationships with, and create opportunities for, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

In 2020 it will deliver the eighth year of the Nallei-Jerring Koori Youth Leadership Project, which aims to inspire, educate and encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people to become future leaders in the community.

Through its Next Generation Academy, it is identifying and nurturing Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander stars of tomorrow, throughout inner-western Melbourne and regional western Victoria.

Last year the Bulldogs confirmed its first Aboriginal Board member, Belinda Duarte, current CEO of Aboriginal-led organisation Culture is Life, the first female executive at Richmond Football Club’s Korin Gamadji Institute and the first Aboriginal executive in the AFL industry.

The Club is also in the process of appointing an Indigenous Programs Manager, a crucial role previously filled by Brett Goodes, which aims to provide leadership, project development and implementation of culturally appropriate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander approaches and programs across its administration and football departments.

Education has also been a significant focus for the Bulldogs over the last few years, with cultural awareness training conducted for players and staff, as well as practical workshops and storytelling sessions.

The Bulldogs are committed and inspired by the journey ahead. This week we acknowledge and celebrate the outstanding contribution of Indigenous Australians within the game.

REGISTER FOR THE 2020 NALLEI-JERRING PROGRAM
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Remi Moses, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A time for reflection, understanding and celebration

Nallei-Jerring enters its eighth year

Western Bulldogs Community Foundation’s highly-successful Nallei-Jerring Koori Youth Leadership program will return for the eighth straight year in 2020.

The Western Bulldogs Community Foundation’s highly-successful Nallei-Jerring Koori Youth Leadership program will return for the eighth straight year in 2020.

The Indigenous youth program has improved the leadership and life skills of countless young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in the west of Melbourne.

Throughout the program, participants are provided with a range of life, cultural and sport experiences, and are offered practical and theory based activities designed to enhance their cultural knowledge, leadership, teamwork, resilience, communication, support networks and connection to community.

The coronavirus pandemic has meant that the usual face-to-face nature of the program will move to an online setting, with 10 zoom sessions to be conducted from September 8, 2020.

In a mark of the effectiveness of the program, several past participants will return to help facilitate the sessions this year, including Cooper Craig-Peters, James Mulliet and 2019 Nallei-Jerring Award winner, Jorja Miller.

“I would encourage people to take part in the program because overall it’s a great experience. It helps us connect more with culture and with each other,” Jorja said.

“It builds up our teamwork and our leadership skills, and it gets us to talk to people that we mightn’t have talked to, and build those kinds of connections that we need.

“I learnt how to communicate with others better…I learned how to be more comfortable in a leadership role. I was always the kind of person to sit back and let others take part of it.”

The 2020 Nallei-Jerring program is open to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander males and females aged between 13-15 years who live within local government areas across Victoria's west.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic program something to be proud of. The club has many fantastic community initiatives which will surely grow in the future. Hopefully Jamarra will be the start of a new generation of indigenous talent at our club.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 18-08-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: mobile fun

6. Likes Eastdog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Fantastic program something to be proud of. The club has many fantastic community initiatives which will surely grow in the future. Hopefully Jamarra will be the start of new generation of indigenous talent at our club.
    We run some really good programs at the club and I have read some very good things from about them. Jamarra sounds like a very exciting prospect. I’m a paid up WB member and also apart of the eastern suburbs Doggies supporter group East West Club and they used to have the whole side come out that way for a training session.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    We run some really good programs at the club and I have read some very good things from about. Jamarra sounds like a very exciting prospect. I’m a paid up WB member and also apart of the eastern suburbs Doggies supporter group East West Club and they used to have the whole side come out that way for a training session.
    Totally agree. The sons and daughters of the west health programs are incredible. Good to see the club acknowledge our eastern bulldogs. I've worked in the East for 22 years I always love it when I see a dogs sticker on a car.
    (Yes im the token "westie")

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Totally agree. The sons and daughters of the west health programs are incredible. Good to see the club acknowledge our eastern bulldogs. I've worked in the East for 22 years I always love it when I see a dogs sticker on a car.
    (Yes im the token "westie")
    Yeah I have lived out in the east mostly myself and a passionate Bulldogs man. Have my 2020 WB member sticker on my car. There are more Dogs supporters I reckon out this way than you think. Over the years particularly when we are up about taking the train in I see a very good number of red white and blue represented.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

12. Likes Grantysghost, WBFC4FFC liked this post