Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaches locked in for 2020

link

The Western Bulldogs have confirmed their AFL coaching structure for the 2020 season.

One personnel change has been made to the coaching team, while there have been multiple role changes.

Recently-retired premiership defender Dale Morris will make an immediate transition to coaching, becoming a development coach after calling time on his 253-game AFL career in August.

Jordan Russell will transition from a development coach to an assistant coach, taking charge of the midfield, while senior assistant coach Steven King will relinquish his defensive role for a portfolio including opposition, training and strategy.

After three years as development manager, Rohan Smith returns to the defensive coaching role he held from 2013 to 2016. Jamie Maddocks will move into the position of development manager after three years as opposition and development coach.

General Manager of Football, Chris Maple, said the addition of Morris would complement an established coaching panel.

“Dale has had a profound impact at the Western Bulldogs over the past 15 years, and we’re delighted to have him join our coaching team,” Maple said.

“As a player, he was smart, competitive and selfless, with a drive to make those around him better – traits which will serve him well as a coach.

“It’s also pleasing to have Jordan and Jamie taking the next steps in their coaching pathways after making strong contributions as development coaches, moving into the roles of midfield coach and development manager respectively.

“Rohan returns to a familiar role as our back-line coach, which will allow Steven to have a more overarching influence as senior assistant coach.”

Assistant coach Steve Grace, who guided the Bulldogs’ midfield group in 2019 after two seasons at the helm of Footscray, will explore other opportunities in the AFL industry.

“Steve has played an important role for our Club over the past three years,” Maple said.

“He helped fast-track the growth of our emerging players in two years as Footscray coach, before guiding our AFL midfield group this year, which continued to show promising signs.

“We wish Steve well for the future as he continues his coaching journey.”

Joel Corey, Ash Hansen and Daniel Giansiracusa will remain in their current positions, while senior coach Luke Beveridge is contracted until the end of 2023 after signing a three-year extension in July.

Western Bulldogs 2020 coaching team

Luke Beveridge – Senior Coach
    Steven King – Senior Assistant Coach (Opposition, Training and Strategy)
    Rohan Smith – Assistant Coach (Defensive Systems and Backs)
    Jordan Russell – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
    Joel Corey – Assistant Coach (Stoppages and Set Plays)
    Ash Hansen – Assistant Coach (Offensive Systems and Forwards)
    Daniel Giansiracusa – VFL Head Coach
    Jamie Maddocks – Development Manager
    Dale Morris – Development Coach
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes SquirrelGrip, Max469, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coaches locked in for 2020

No one new coming into the coaching panel. I suppose not a surprise.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

4. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the moves of promoting Russell and bringing Rohan Smith back into defence.

Morris a no brainer really.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I like the moves of promoting Russell and bringing Rohan Smith back into defence.

Getting Rohan Smith back where he excelled in 2016 is a big positive for me.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Dissapointed that yet again we are passing on an opportunity to change things up. Literally no fresh blood, no outside experience and nobody to offer alternative ideas. Looks like we have these guys till they decide to retire.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll they have another season to get us moving. I think a pass mark for the assistant coaches will be finals and maybe more than one game in the finals.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

How underwhelming.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Same here, it's changed sufficiently enough and in fact I think the department has been beefed up

I would have liked someone coming in from another club because it would be a chance to hear some fresh ideas but I'm actually very positive about the changes detailed today
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

13. Likes 1eyedog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These were the coaches going into 2016

BRETT MONTGOMERY - SNR ASSISTANT
    ROHAN SMITH - BACKS
    DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA - FORWARDS
    STEVEN KING - MIDFIELD
    JOEL COREY - STOPPAGES
    CRAIG JENNINGS - OPPOSITION ANALYST
    Chris Maple - Head of Development
    Ashley Hansen - VFL
    Stewart Edge - Development Coach

I think there has been a bit of movement since then

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    These were the coaches going into 2016

BRETT MONTGOMERY - SNR ASSISTANT
    ROHAN SMITH - BACKS
    DANIEL GIANSIRACUSA - FORWARDS
    STEVEN KING - MIDFIELD
    JOEL COREY - STOPPAGES
    CRAIG JENNINGS - OPPOSITION ANALYST
    Chris Maple - Head of Development
    Ashley Hansen - VFL
    Stewart Edge - Development Coach

I think there has been a bit of movement since then
    Graham Lowe as GM of Football as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How underwhelming.
    There was some speculation a few weeks back that there would be 2 changes to the coaching so it was never going to be wholesale changes

Getting Smith back is a positive as he built a strong rapport with the defensive players before he moved into other roles
    I would have preferred at least one other change but lets now see how the team performs

17. Likes azabob, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Graham Lowe as GM of Football as well
    The list is just the coaches

Post Thanks / Like

There was some speculation a few weeks back that there would be 2 changes to the coaching so it was never going to be wholesale changes

Getting Smith back is a positive as he built a strong rapport with the defensive players before he moved into other roles
    I would have preferred at least one other change but lets now see how the team performs

I also was hoping for an addition that was outside of the club.
    I wonder if the strong end to the home and away season put a stop to bringing in an assistant from outside the club?
    The other unknown is we may have targeted someone and it fell through, they may have got a senior job.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I also was hoping for an addition that was outside of the club.
    I wonder if the strong end to the home and away season put a stop to bringing in an assistant from outside the club?
    The other unknown is we may have targeted someone and it fell through, they may have got a senior job.
    You have probably hit the nail on the head but I would imagine that when Bevo signed the extension he already had strong ideas of the coaches he wanted around him. If no one poaches our coaches they might all get long service with us

Post Thanks / Like

You have probably hit the nail on the head but I would imagine that when Bevo signed the extension he already had strong ideas of the coaches he wanted around him. If no one poaches our coaches they might all get long service with us
    Since the premiership we have had 4 changes out of 9. The other 5 have moved around including stints as VFL coach.