Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 43 of 86 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm sure that there are some plausible reasons for the decline but the 'rebuild' being offered up is well off the mark is just a convient excuse and we've been exceptionally good at offering excuses since 2016.
    If you do want to look into this further and as an example we had players being bullied by others and not much being done about it and I think it was a real culture killer but there would certainly be other issues as well
    I hope as a club we have stared right into why we couldn't go on with it.
    Players being bullied, players wanting to play/ party hard but not work hard and others just generally taking the foot from the floor are all issues that really disappoint me and are inexcusable. However, I think we are rebuilding in some ways by force in others by choice and we've not played the PR game well throughout. The media taking a simplistic narrative to our circumstances hasn't helped either, but that's what the AFL meat and potatoes media does.

I'm not convinced we've been critical of ourselves as much as we should have been since 2017, our stagnation in the assistant coaching area is the most bleeding example and I'm sure there's other areas that would be exposed by a critical eye.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The PA thought it would provide for the middle of the road players allowing them to get to a club that would value their services but like a lot of things in life it essentially just favoured the top end players and clubs.

Still, if clubs can turn around how they are perceived they can attract good players
    Yep it always just favours the top end.

I disagree about the perception bit, we wont the flag and still couldn't land anyone of note.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that there are some plausible reasons for the decline but the 'rebuild' being offered up is well off the mark is just a convenient excuse and we've been exceptionally good at offering excuses since 2016.
    I am the only one mentioning a MINI rebuild, well what would you call it when you lose lots of experience like Moyd, Murphy, Morris, plus a whole bunch of premiership players and having to play kids for a couple of years (2017/18), on top of 10 injuries to your list. Then having to try and bring in ready made players to fill the gaps.

These aren't excuses, these are facts. We just haven't had the right players in the team after losing so many experienced players. We have done well to get to 2 finals, but now we need to take the next step and get to top 4.

On attracting A grade players to the club, well if I were a mature good player, I would love to play at the G most weeks with an average crowd of 50k, 60k, plus blockbuster games in front of 80k, 90k. It makes a huge difference to a player, after all they are entertainers and like a crowd.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    So what is the main driver for players to go to these same teams? Is it playing in front of large crowds? Money? Culture? Success? I mean why the hell is it always the same teams. I was astonished that we couldn't attract any notable players following our premiership. That surely rules out success as a driver. Even the damn Saints and Dees have better luck getting players in. North do too but they typically recruit the players noone wants a bar of.
    A criminal absence from blockbusters (how did we lose good Friday initially?!) and post career opportunities seem to be part of the package we can't provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Jesse Hogan is officially on the trade table, with Fremantle telling rival clubs that they are open to offloading the contracted key forward next month.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Jesse Hogan is officially on the trade table, with Fremantle telling rival clubs that they are open to offloading the contracted key forward next month.
    Wow he is such a talent. He's worth considering at least but I'm not sure his head's in the game.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 20-10-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    A criminal absence from blockbusters (how did we lose good Friday initially?!) and post career opportunities seem to be part of the package we can't provide.
    Losing Good Friday was pathetic from the AFL. And to give it to Essendon one year even more so. The biggest crowds were when we were involved. Honestly it's North who can't pull the numbers. It should be Dogs v Saints each year.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly think no club will go near him. He and Stringer are huge losses to their generation of football. Just imagine if the upward trajectory of 2015 Jake had continued. What a forward line we would have....

10. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Losing Good Friday was pathetic from the AFL. And to give it to Essendon one year even more so. The biggest crowds were when we were involved. Honestly it's North who can't pull the numbers. It should be Dogs v Saints each year.
    Nah it was great for footy getting another big club involved! The big club media personalities and acolytes assured us it was!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Wow he is such a talent. He's worth considering at least but I'm not sure he's heads in the game.
    Also willing to trade Connor Blakley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Nah it was great for footy getting another big club involved! The big club media personalities and acolytes assured us it was!
    Isn't it great having two big VIC clubs playing off in the GF? It's great for footy i reckon.

14. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Giants confident in young star’s re-signing as footy boss lashes rival’s mega offers

GWS general manager of football Jason McCartney believes it is time the AFL add an extra year to standard first contracts for young guns entering the system, hitting out at rivals offering their teenagers big deals.
    The Giants have three first-round draft picks from 2018 all out of contract with Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately and Xavier O’Halloran all being tracked by rival clubs.

Hately has already confirmed he wants to return to South Australia in the off-season, but the Giants are hopeful Caldwell and O’Halloran will remain at the club.

It was ok when GWS offered big dollars to Cal Ward and Tom Scully

Post Thanks / Like

Giants confident in young star’s re-signing as footy boss lashes rival’s mega offers

GWS general manager of football Jason McCartney believes it is time the AFL add an extra year to standard first contracts for young guns entering the system, hitting out at rivals offering their teenagers big deals.
    The Giants have three first-round draft picks from 2018 all out of contract with Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately and Xavier O’Halloran all being tracked by rival clubs.

Hately has already confirmed he wants to return to South Australia in the off-season, but the Giants are hopeful Caldwell and O’Halloran will remain at the club.

It was ok when GWS offered big dollars to Cal Ward and Tom Scully
    They are going to end up with a heap of first round picks again from Cameron and Williams, plus perhaps second round picks for Corr and Hately, so the cycle will continue. Their salary cap position will surely ease now so it likely gives them extra dollars to convince Caldwell and O'Halloran to stay.

Post Thanks / Like

Headhunting both he and McCarthy's panned out beautifully for them.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what would have happened to GWS if they (and let's be honest, the AFL) followed the "in spirit" rules of their first few drafts and actually blended experience, role players and young talent rather than just stockpiling all of the draft picks to land the best junior talent year on year...…….

19. Thanks strebla thanked for this post