Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 35 of 86 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

I'm not sure about Hannan. Apart from half backs, medium forwards are an area we seem fairly well stocked. Yes Dickson is gone and Gowers we assume won't be back, but that still leaves Lloyd, Dale, Weightman and Wallis. And that's before you consider the likes of Richards and Crozier who were shoehorned in there. There is also Greene whose future is uncertain.

Surely a genuine crumber would make more sense and I'm not sure Hannan at 189cm fits the bill.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man.

I may be wrong but what I've seen of Hannan puts him firmly in the Dale/Lloyd/Wallis category of being a lowish possession, mid paced forward who is a good mark for his size but not tall enough for it to be a weapon, doesn't offer more than a baseline level of defensive pressure and is not capable of helping out the midfield if the supply is not there. He may be able to come in and perform to an ok standard but he isn't someone who strikes as being able to make us better. Honestly thinking about it he sounds like a less silly Billy Gowers.

I do concede that he does seem to play quite direct though which would be refreshing, and his marking ability is very good. Considering the success of previous speccy takers Crozier and Howe as converted intercept defenders I would suggest he seems the next player that could maybe be tried in that role, except that is the last thing we need.

If we bring in Hannan and neglect to bring in anyone with pace, crumbing ability and/or pressure I am going to be very dissapointed.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes Mofra, Happy Days, bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would Hannan be doing the Schache lead up role ? Is that the spot Bevo thinks we lack ?
    I'm on the fence too. Rate him, but not groundbreaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale and Hannan about the same in ability - for me, not what we are looking for.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes DOG GOD, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With list spots at a premium next season this news is concerning.

8. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dale and Hannan about the same in ability - for me, not what we are looking for.
    Hannan is harder than Dale (not saying much), Dale has a small amount of X factor. TBH I'm off the Dale bandwagon.

We'd probably improve by about 1% with Hannan in the team - I think he's ok but he's not a difference maker.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

10. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hannan is harder than Dale (not saying much), Dale has a small amount of X factor. TBH I'm off the Dale bandwagon.

We'd probably improve by about 1% with Hannan in the team - I think he's ok but he's not a difference maker.
    I agree he is harder , would put more pressure on but it depends what Bevo wants, Dale is more a float in from the side forward and take a mark, I tend to think he is a winger with a high mark ability.
    Hannan more a forward pocket/ flanker.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

While on face value I agree that he is more of the same he is far better at most things than Dale and Lloyd. He has very good hand to boot speed on his snaps which we need, we get tackled in the process of having a shot so often.

Hannan is more of an opportunist and less reliant on lead/mark than Lloyd and Dale and also better at ground level. He probably doesn’t have that craft to play deep one out like Dale but he is in the contest more often and can jump at it.

Don’t think he solves our pressure issue but provides more than some others.

13. Likes The Doctor, Testekill, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely not. We need a fast crumbing forward in the mould of Cameron/Ryan.
    Breust is way better.
    Not interested in Hannan at all.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

We already have a backlog of fringe general forward types who do nothing particularly well so sure, let's add another.

Unless we're luring bona fide quality we should probably find out if any of the kids are any good rather than cheap stop-gaps.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

16. Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    We already have a backlog of fringe general forward types who do nothing particularly well so sure, let's add another.

Unless we're luring bona fide quality we should probably find out if any of the kids are any good rather than cheap stop-gaps.
    This ^^^ for sure

I don't want to chase more of the same.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Apparently the Pies are also open to a trade for Tom Phillips. I think he is a significant upgrade on any of our current wingman who aren't Lachie Hunter. He has won all the time trials at the Pies since he was drafted. I'm a fan.
    We might have more pressing needs but on a needs based perspective we might be very interested in Phillips. Does he hurt the opposition teams though?
    We will need to put some players up for trades if we are to be a player during the trade period.
    Maneuvering for points and players will be a difficult task
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We might have more pressing needs but on a needs based perspective we might be very interested in Phillips. Does he hurt the opposition teams though?
    We will need to put some players up for trades if we are to be a player during the trade period.
    Maneuvering for points and players will be a difficult task
    They are only considering trading Phillips because they have to give Daicos a big pay rise, not to mention Moore, and both of these two were coming out of contract this year. Then there's Mihochek and Dr Goey to sign up as well. Something will have to give, and it might reluctantly be Phillips even though he's got another 2 years to run on his contract.

Phillips has been a mainstay of a top 4 team for the last few seasons. The question of his hurt factor is interesting - being able to get to so many more transitions due to having such a big tank, his hurt factor is at least as strong as Hunter. Phillips might not be Jarman-esque by foot but he is not a ball butcher either. He's a clear upgrade on R Smith and Hayes as a wingman, and Vandermeer is not yet at the level to hold a wing position full time. Someone like a Phillips would give us tremendous outside running capacity through our midfield, one area we are a little light on for depth outside of Hunter. He's worth a look IMO.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

21. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, DOG GOD, EasternWest, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Apparently the Pies are also open to a trade for Tom Phillips. I think he is a significant upgrade on any of our current wingman who aren't Lachie Hunter. He has won all the time trials at the Pies since he was drafted. I'm a fan.
    I think Mofra raised Phillips a while ago and is keen on that.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

23. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We are seriously kidding ourselves if we think we can land Mitch Hannan........... I mean there must be a HUGE queue for his services. Imagine the massive contracts he must be being offered right now. The $$$ and the years. I can imagine his manager trying to answer 3 phones at once while trying to organise a downpayment on a beach front Portsea property. There is NO WAY we can compete with the glamour clubs for someone like Mitch Hannan....

In case I need to spell it out..I'm being sarcastic.

Mitch Hannan? Is that the best we can come up with? Seriously. Mitch Hannan?

oh boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Hannan on the radar.

The Western Bulldogs have turned their attention to uncontracted Melbourne forward Mitch Hannan, registering an interest in the former Footscray VFL premiership player as they look to beef up their forward line during this year's exchange period.

The 26-year-old was recruited to Melbourne with pick No.46 in the 2016 national draft after starring for Footscray in the VFL that season, playing in the club's premiership when they defeated the Casey Demons in the grand final.

He played 20 games in his first season at the Demons, kicking a goal in each of Melbourne's three finals in 2018 including a running, three-bounce goal in the elimination final that sealed the club's first finals win for 12 seasons.

However Hannan fell out of favour at Melbourne this season and was dropped a couple of times, playing just nine games for the season. He was not in the team when Melbourne dropped out of finals contention at the end of the season with consecutive losses in Cairns to Sydney and Fremantle.

The Bulldogs are in the market for a tall to support Tim English in the ruck, with coach Luke Beveridge admitting after their elimination final that their aerial power was lacking, as well as a crumbing forward.

Although they have been linked to St Kilda's Jack Lonie, they are not pursuing him with Hannan capable of being both a lead-up and crumbing forward.

Clever forward Mitch Wallis was their leading goalkicker this season but he lacks Hannan's pace while highly rated draft selection Cody Weightman will emerge having shown his talent in three games in his first season.

Bulldogs premiership forward Tory Dickson retired at season's end while former Tiger Sam Lloyd is contracted until the end of 2021 having had an outstanding 2019 when he kicked 38 goals.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...14-p5651k.html