Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 56 of 86 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Think I've been pretty clear on what we should do with regards to our ruck situation.

At any rate, is there any evidence that Cox is actually a capable ruck? Grundy does as close to 100% of the ruckwork as possible, he got supplanted by Cameron for a stretch when the Pies looked to lighten Grundy's ruck load, and all of his best work has been in five minute bursts when he can do that one thing he does (mark a ball kicked in high enough where only he can catch it).

We definitely need something more, but Cox, his limited body of work, and his alleged $500k contract isn't it. Pretty relieved it's turned out to be smoke.
    Stephan Martin is available, but I think he is passed it?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Think I've been pretty clear on what we should do with regards to our ruck situation.

At any rate, is there any evidence that Cox is actually a capable ruck? Grundy does as close to 100% of the ruckwork as possible, he got supplanted by Cameron for a stretch when the Pies looked to lighten Grundy's ruck load, and all of his best work has been in five minute bursts when he can do that one thing he does (mark a ball kicked in high enough where only he can catch it).

We definitely need something more, but Cox, his limited body of work, and his alleged $500k contract isn't it. Pretty relieved it's turned out to be smoke.
    I actually think Cox has much to offer as a forward in the right situation but his ruck work is atrocious.

It’s a craft that escapes most people but to come in at his age and be asked to jump into blokes was never going to be easy. At the bounces he is quite awkward and can’t seem to work out how to use his legs when he jumps. At the stoppages he tends to get moved off the line of the ball quite easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    At the bounces he is quite awkward and can’t seem to work out how to use his legs when he jumps. At the stoppages he tends to get moved off the line of the ball quite easily.
    Wait, are we talking Cox or English here?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    As in, we still (if it's true) have a situation where a young player wants to leave for more money, even if we've kept our bankroll low to use on young players.
    Seemingly so. Though not sure Josh thought he was underpaid two weeks ago.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

If Dunkley really wants out would people be happy to bring Treloar in? He does spray it there is no doubt about it but his burst elements probably suit the group more so than Dunkley, his hamstrings would be a worry though. Feel wise Dunkley is a better leader and probably has fewer issues off the field.

Id keep Dunkley if it was my decision I don't like the idea of clubs thinking they can come and raid Smith, Naughty, and Bont even when contracted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Stephan Martin is available, but I think he is passed it?
    Personally, I'd have a long, hard look at a year of Stef Martin.

Until this season he's been ultra durable and can go all day if need be, would certainly give us a more proactive look at centre square setups, would be an ideal tutor for English and, from the sound of it, wouldn't cost us much more than sweet FA.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Personally, I'd have a long, hard look at a year of Stef Martin.

Until this season he's been ultra durable and can go all day if need be, would certainly give us a more proactive look at centre square setups, would be an ideal tutor for English and, from the sound of it, wouldn't cost us much more than sweet FA.
    He looked well cooked in the prelim but people were probably saying that about Paddy Ryder at the end of 2019 too and look at how important he was this year.

We are in desperate need of ruck cover so you'd have to take a look at Martin and really weigh it up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the sentiment around Martin. We would get him cheap, he has great ruck craft to share with Tim and is a solid citizen.
    Brisbane has said today they are waiting for the list size decision from the AFL before deciding his fate. They are very fond of him and I assume they'd make his departure a smooth one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I actually think Cox has much to offer as a forward in the right situation but his ruck work is atrocious.

It’s a craft that escapes most people but to come in at his age and be asked to jump into blokes was never going to be easy. At the bounces he is quite awkward and can’t seem to work out how to use his legs when he jumps. At the stoppages he tends to get moved off the line of the ball quite easily.
    Matt Rendell doesn't agree - reckons he's a very good ruckman having worked with him. Really we hardly see him in the ruck so it's hard to tell.

Rendell actually says we should be into Ratugolea or Cox.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Edmund:

Stefan Martin (Brisbane)

“He’s definitely an intriguing subject,” he said.

“He’s out of contract and 34 years of age, it’s clear as day that the Dogs need ruck help for Tim English and all manner of ruckman have been linked there.

“Mason Cox and Todd Goldstein won’t be happening – Stefan Martin would be a good option without knowing whether the wheels are in motion to bring him to Whitten Oval or not."

11. Thanks Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting as we did try to lure him a few years ago.
    Could be a reverse-Ben Hudson
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Matt Rendell doesn't agree - reckons he's a very good ruckman having worked with him. Really we hardly see him in the ruck so it's hard to tell.

I watched them every week as closely as I watch the dogs. He is very awkward and almost too big for his own good. A few times stuck his foot studs up into people then had the ball land on his head.

Having said that I would be in favour as a forward with spells in the ruck. We need to get our forward half game fixed and to me having Cox attacking the ball in the air gets it to ground and allows us to get organised behind the ball. Would need to get some other pieces to fall into place around that but to me we need to doing things that allow us to start trapping the ball in our half again.

14. Likes azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He looked well cooked in the prelim but people were probably saying that about Paddy Ryder at the end of 2019 too and look at how important he was this year.

We are in desperate need of ruck cover so you'd have to take a look at Martin and really weigh it up.
    That he did but he also missed two months of footy in the lead-up to finals and Brisbane as a whole looked cooked in that contest.

He's a consummate workhorse who didn't miss a game for 5 years until this season and if we're confident there are no residual injury issues that might interfere with his 2021 I'd be all over this at negligible cost, ruck support box ticked, and then we can shift our focus to other areas of need.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

Why am I hearing from Rendell so much these days, last I heard he'd made some controversial statements regarding Indigenous lineage and wasn't really taken that seriously. He was a good ruckman for the Roys back in the day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why am I hearing from Rendell so much these days, last I heard he'd made some controversial statements regarding Indigenous lineage and wasn't really taken that seriously. He was a good ruckman for the Roys back in the day.
    He was a top recruiter, I think for Crows and setup some good teams.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

18. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post