Thanks Thanks:  83
Likes Likes:  632
Page 57 of 86 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Player movement

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why am I hearing from Rendell so much these days, last I heard he'd made some controversial statements regarding Indigenous lineage and wasn't really taken that seriously. He was a good ruckman for the Roys back in the day.
    Lost his job with the Pies due to the Covid-19 cut backs and he is being used by SEN to talk through trades etc
    The statements about Indigenous players I think was just poorly communicated by Rendell rather than any malice or ignorance on his behalf.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why am I hearing from Rendell so much these days, last I heard he'd made some controversial statements regarding Indigenous lineage and wasn't really taken that seriously. He was a good ruckman for the Roys back in the day.
    Controversial's one way of putting it. He claimed he wouldn't draft an indigenous player unless they had a white parent in the mix.

Can only gather, in much the same vein as SOS, he's been thrown some dough to help fill air on Trade Radio / SEN given his recruiting background. Fingers crossed he approves of us taking Jamarra ...
    BORDERLINE FLYING

4. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Controversial's one way of putting it. He claimed he wouldn't draft an indigenous player unless they had a white parent in the mix.
    AFL clubs aren't set up to deal with a lot of the issues associated with drafting kids from low socio-economic backgrounds. They REALLY aren't set up to deal with the issues associated with drafting INDIGENOUS kids from difficult social backgrounds.

What he said was the truth according to more than a few clubs out there...including ours if you wanted my opinion. He shouldn't have said it - but is it worse to say it and do it or not say it therefore fly under the radar but just do it anyway?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

6. Likes azabob, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No to Martin.

He's battered and he can only play ruck.

He has been horrible for a while now and in lengthened games, would be even more of a liability. Hard pass.

8. Likes bornadog, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a little bit of information surrounding the Rendell saga.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-...y-line/3900240

If you recall Mifsud didn't do anything about the comments in January, but the comments became public a couple of months later and the AFL and Mifsud then had a real problem with them.

Now whether they were a throw away line, or otherwise, they were careless but the bigger issue is the one Rendell was trying to point out - the AFL didn't take the nurturing of indigenous talent seriously. Additionally they hate being called out on that publicly which is why Rendell was done the moment the comments, which behind closed doors were tolerated, became public.

You only have to see how the ex-AFL CEO has dealt with recent integrity issues with his new employer to gain an insight into how he would have dealt with this.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

10. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    AFL clubs aren't set up to deal with a lot of the issues associated with drafting kids from low socio-economic backgrounds. They REALLY aren't set up to deal with the issues associated with drafting INDIGENOUS kids from difficult social backgrounds.
    That may be but if clubs are serious and sincere about player welfare, internal culture and broader notions of culture/community they'll get better at these things, ideally with a consultative approach and copious league support.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    What he said was the truth according to more than a few clubs out there...including ours if you wanted my opinion. He shouldn't have said it - but is it worse to say it and do it or not say it therefore fly under the radar but just do it anyway?
    I'm not sure there's much value in musing about whether we'd prefer our racism to be practiced quietly or loudly, both do damage.

I get Rendell's a well liked long-termer and wasn't going out of his way to insult anyone but it's an appalling statement, and as you've suggested, a telling one however we'd like to frame it.

If there's contrition / regret, not so much from Rendell but from the industry more broadly, then turn it into serious resolve to 'be better' and that includes us if we've avoided Indigenous recruits because 'too hard' and pinning that at least in part on race.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

12. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes Grantysghost, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Here's a little bit of information surrounding the Rendell saga.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-...y-line/3900240

If you recall Mifsud didn't do anything about the comments in January, but the comments became public a couple of months later and the AFL and Mifsud then had a real problem with them.

Now whether they were a throw away line, or otherwise, they were careless but the bigger issue is the one Rendell was trying to point out - the AFL didn't take the nurturing of indigenous talent seriously. Additionally they hate being called out on that publicly which is why Rendell was done the moment the comments, which behind closed doors were tolerated, became public.

You only have to see how the ex-AFL CEO has dealt with recent integrity issues with his new employer to gain an insight into how he would have dealt with this.
    Sounds like it was common vernacular behind closed doors and he was thrown under the bus when it became too big a controversy to manage. Wonder how it leaked.

Reading that article he actually sounds like he was trying to articulate a solution overall, however archaic the terms he used to over simplify a complicated issue were.

One of his suggestions there, a pathway through the private school system from which Jamarra benefited seems like a pragmatic idea worth putting some further effort into.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 27-10-2020 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Why do I use my phone for this?

Post Thanks / Like

Just listened to SOS and Rendelll talking about Jamarra and what the bulldogs should do. Both wholeheartingly would trade out the first pick at #12 for say 3 picks in the 30-40’s range, getting as many points, as they expect crows to nominate him at #1. Rendell said the pies will do pretty much the same next year with young Daicos.
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Just listened to SOS and Rendelll talking about Jamarra and what the bulldogs should do. Both wholeheartingly would trade out the first pick at #12 for say 3 picks in the 30-40’s range, getting as many points, as they expect crows to nominate him at #1. Rendell said the pies will do pretty much the same next year with young Daicos.
    Pretty uninspiring. Pick 12 is a valuable asset, I hope we're more creative with it than just downgrading for some picks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pretty uninspiring. Pick 12 is a valuable asset, I hope we're more creative with it than just downgrading for some picks.
    I don’t really see how we can be though. We need a ton of points and probably can’t afford to use it to get anywhere else.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Any draft pick for players might come when we trade out guys like Schache and Lew young
    I will never see #16 the same!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure there's much value in musing about whether we'd prefer our racism to be practiced quietly or loudly, both do damage.
    At least when it's loud it is in the open and 'someone' can act. As it turns out in this case no-one acted anyway (except to sack Rendell which didn't really address the issue at large) and the status quo remains in place.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOG GOD View Post
    Any draft pick for players might come when we trade out guys like Schache and Lew young
    Yeah if we're looking for picks in the 30-40s, we've got players such as Schache or Dale that would be worthwhile putting out there. 12 should be used for something really good.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Can only gather, in much the same vein as SOS, he's been thrown some dough to help fill air on Trade Radio / SEN given his recruiting background. Fingers crossed he approves of us taking Jamarra ...
    The comments I heard was that he was saying something similar to that but based on how the industry was behaving more than It being his opinion.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The comments I heard was that he was saying something similar to that but based on how the industry was behaving more than It being his opinion.
    Seems that way, and much as MJP suggested thus ripping the band aid off an industry-wide wound in the process and an infinitely bigger concern than had it been one bloke simply espousing an antiquated personal view on the topic. The problem is it's not antiquated at all from the sound of it.

That's okay if there's a willingness to own the situation, sincerity to better it and real action, none of which I'd hold my breath on when it comes to the current AFEL administration.

You only need to glance back at the way they tried to exploit the 'free the flag' endeavour - which was solely about their lust for merchandise dollars rather than free and fair use - to see where their true priorities lay.

Anyway, perhaps let's veer back on topic and debating the merits of the spuds and assorted leftovers we're about to recruit.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

23. Likes 1eyedog, hujsh liked this post